The Student Room Group

Medicine entry 2021

Hello , I am currently awaiting my gcse results and will hopefully , if all goes well, start A levels in maths , chemistry and biology in September . I wish to pursue a career in medicine in the future and was wondering if anybody has any support or advice ?

I have some questions as well. If I were to apply for Cambridge , would I need excellent gcse grades supposedly the majority being 8s or 9s? I have done and am still doing a lot of volunteering and some work experience in Hospitals , carehomes etc and have also done a lot of extra curricular activities in the past including dance drama singing music and all sorts. I was wondering if I was on the right path, as I have always been interested in medicine and really want to get the opportunity to study it at university.

I did not do greatly in my gcse mock exams (got around 887777776665) something like that . I am incredibly worried for results day and was just wondering if aiming for medicine or Cambridge uni is too high or out of my reach? If anybody is happy to share their own experiences with me , please do as I would most appreciate it .

Also, when is it most appropriate to start preparing for bmat/ ucat exams ?
Is applying to 2 or more bmat or ucat unis safer?

Thank you for any responses.

Scroll to see replies

I am in a similar situation to you. In my mocks I got 99998888877 but I feel like my GCSEs will be more around straight 8s. I have read somewhere that Oxbridge consider grades 8 and 9 with equal merit and do not differentiate students on them (however I do not know how true this is). Providing your GCSEs are all 8 and 9 grades I would assume you have a fairly good chance at getting interviewed (providing your PS and BMAT are excellent). If you interview well then it is likely you would receive a place. I don’t really know what else to say
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by PanickedPangolin
I am in a similar situation to you. In my mocks I got 99998888877 but I feel like my GCSEs will be more around straight 8s. I have read somewhere that Oxbridge consider grades 8 and 9 with equal merit and do not differentiate students on them (however I do not know how true this is). Providing your GCSEs are all 8 and 9 grades I would assume you have a fairly good chance at getting interviewed (providing your PS and BMAT are excellent). If you interview well then it is likely you would receive a place. I don’t really know what else to say

Thank you for that advice . If you are aiming for medicine , do you know when you are going to start preparing for ucat or bmat exams ?
when you get your results can you share them please?
Original post by helloiambored
when you get your results can you share them please?

Yeah sure
I’m going to start researching what the BMAT and UCAT entail when I get back to school, my school has a BMAT/UCAT training course so I will probably just attend that and start properly preparing next summer. Dy know what other med schools you are thinking of applying to?
(edited 4 years ago)
I’m going to start researching what the BMAT and UCAT entail when I get back to school, my school has a BMAT/UCAT training course so I will probably just attend that and start properly preparing next summer. Dy know what other med schools you are thinking of applying to?

Okay thank you for sharing your plan . Med schools wise , if I feel very confident then maybe Cambridge and if my results say I could . Otherwise I’m mainly aiming for imperial , kings , barts, Bristol I guess . Just a vague idea atm
Cool. Tbh i’m trying not to fixate too much on Cambridge because even if I get my predicted grades (9 grade 9s and 2 grade 8s) I still wouldn’t like my chances because it is SO competitive. I’m going to a couple of open days in September such as UCL and Bristol to get a feel for the places.
(edited 4 years ago)
Cool. Tbh i’m trying not to fixate too much on Cambridge because even if I get my predicted grades (9 grade 9s and 2 grade 8s) I still wouldn’t like my chances because it is SO competitive. I’m going to a couple of open days in September such as UCL and Bristol to get a feel for the places.

Lol my grades are no where that good ... but the thing with Cambridge is that you need decent GCSEs but good experience mainly , as I know a couple of medics there atm who only got in last year with not the best grades (Bs As couple of A*s) but they had tons of exp with carehomes hospitals etc... so tbh I think if you got those kinda grades you would have a great chance alongside exp. ofc ... Cambridge is one of not many that actually sees you as an individual , hence you get a fair chance . But we will see how it goes in two weeks I guess 😂.

Btw , would you mind saying what grades you get ?
Yeah I know there are some medics that get in on relatively “poor” grades (for Cambridge standards) but that is because Cambridge look at the context in which the grades were achieved. For example, someone coming from a low income family in a comprehensive school who is first generation going to uni who gets all 7s would be more likely to get an offer than someone who goes to a renowned private school who gets 8s and 9s. I go to a state grammar school so I doubt my grades will look that impressive because I defo wont achieve my predicted grade and will probably get around straight 8s. But yeah I am happy to share my grades.
There is a big section of TSR all about Applying for Medicine : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine and it includes info about GCSEs and A levels.
i just got an opportunity to volunteer at a hospital, but i was wondering what else i should do? i havé a weeks worth of work experience in a hospital next week and one week in a pharmacy, but i’m kinda stuck with the whole extra-curricular activities as i really don’t do much ): any advice...?
Original post by pipthesqueak
i just got an opportunity to volunteer at a hospital, but i was wondering what else i should do? i havé a weeks worth of work experience in a hospital next week and one week in a pharmacy, but i’m kinda stuck with the whole extra-curricular activities as i really don’t do much ): any advice...?

There is a big section of TSR all about Applying for Medicine : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine and it includes info about Work Experience.
Original post by returnmigrant
There is a big section of TSR all about Applying for Medicine : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine and it includes info about Work Experience.

thank you!
(edited 4 years ago)
Yeah I know there are some medics that get in on relatively “poor” grades (for Cambridge standards) but that is because Cambridge look at the context in which the grades were achieved. For example, someone coming from a low income family in a comprehensive school who is first generation going to uni who gets all 7s would be more likely to get an offer than someone who goes to a renowned private school who gets 8s and 9s. I go to a state grammar school so I doubt my grades will look that impressive because I defo wont achieve my predicted grade and will probably get around straight 8s. But yeah I am happy to share my grades.

Ahhh okay that makes a lot of sense . I go to a state grammar school too but I think they look at the schools performance in general too relative to the gardes we achieved . Idk I guess we will just have to see . But thank you for the advice and sharing ur grades
Original post by returnmigrant
There is a big section of TSR all about Applying for Medicine : https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/wiki/Medicine and it includes info about GCSEs and A levels.

Thank you!
Original post by pipthesqueak

I don’t think extra curricular activities is taken much into account , but more interest and hobbies, I guess use your grades , work exp, volunteering and a hobby.
Original post by chicken_123_
Ahhh okay that makes a lot of sense . I go to a state grammar school too but I think they look at the schools performance in general too relative to the gardes we achieved . Idk I guess we will just have to see . But thank you for the advice and sharing ur grades

Hi, received my GCSE results today and as promised I will share them.
Maths - 9
English Literature - 8 (Three marks off a 9 so I will get a remark)
English Language - 9
Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
RS - 9
History - 9
Classics - 9
Spanish - 9
DT - 9
Further Maths - A
Okay guys, I got my gcses today . I got no 9s but five 8 , four 7s and two 6s . For medicine I these results are definitely not the greatest , but I have another problem . I got 8 in both chem and maths but shockingly a 6 in biology ( went down from a 9 in mocks ) . I cant take bio anymore as the schools I have applied to do not consider any a level subjects below a 7 .

So now instead of bio, chem and maths I am going to take physics chem and maths .

Is it possible to still get into medicine doing physics instead of biology ? I know it does meet some university ‘s requirements but has anyone heard or know successful students in my situation?

I did send biology for remarks as I was only 4off but tbh I do not think I can get 4more in biology . I really need help !
Original post by chicken_123_
Okay guys, I got my gcses today . I got no 9s but five 8 , four 7s and two 6s . For medicine I these results are definitely not the greatest , but I have another problem . I got 8 in both chem and maths but shockingly a 6 in biology ( went down from a 9 in mocks ) . I cant take bio anymore as the schools I have applied to do not consider any a level subjects below a 7 .

So now instead of bio, chem and maths I am going to take physics chem and maths .

Is it possible to still get into medicine doing physics instead of biology ? I know it does meet some university ‘s requirements but has anyone heard or know successful students in my situation?

I did send biology for remarks as I was only 4off but tbh I do not think I can get 4more in biology . I really need help !

I know there are some medical schools which do not make Biology a required A Level however it is almost always described as "highly desirable". Without an A Level in Biology you may struggle in Medicine interviews (as they are often posed around Biology, with the questions being of an A Level difficulty). This would make it very difficult for you to get into medical school on standard entry. However, there are some medical schools which offer a foundation year before the course starts - this course is aimed at people who may not have the appropriate science background and so the first year (Year 0) gives them this base knowledge before the actual medical course starts. There are a few unis which offer this but I know Manchester definitely do (https://www.manchester.ac.uk/study/undergraduate/courses/2019/01430/mbchb-medicine-6-years-including-foundation-year/). Alternatively you could ask your school to allow you to take the Biology A Level (on the basis your performance has been good throughout the year and this exam was only a "blip") and retake the GCSE next year.

Latest

Trending

Trending