The Student Room Group

How flexible is the length of a PhD?

So I just got my PhD offer. Happy days!!!

The start date is this October, but the finish date is September 30 2022. How strict is that finish date? I read somewhere that almost nobody finishes their PhD on time. Is there some flexibility to this end date or does it HAVE to be finished before then or I don't graduate or something...? What happens if I exceed that finish date by a month or two? Or six? Will there be repercussions?
Original post by Minecraft27
So I just got my PhD offer. Happy days!!!

The start date is this October, but the finish date is September 30 2022. How strict is that finish date? I read somewhere that almost nobody finishes their PhD on time. Is there some flexibility to this end date or does it HAVE to be finished before then or I don't graduate or something...? What happens if I exceed that finish date by a month or two? Or six? Will there be repercussions?

In terms of the university, if you need an extension, they will discuss with you the schedule you plan to follow and how much time is needed to finish. They are usually pretty understanding about this, as many PhD students require extensions or interruptions to their research during their allotted 3 years.

In terms of finances however, if you are funded by a research council or other external source, they may not be so flexible about changing your established submission date. They may not allow you to have additional funding to cover the extension period, and if they do, it's likely that they'll need proof that the extension is absolutely necessary. If you're self-funded (and can afford to fund yourself through the extra time you need), then you have less to worry about.
(edited 4 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending