The Student Room Group

Doctoral loan change of circumstances query

Hiya,

I'm currently on a full-time PhD course at the University of Stirling. I am unfortunately having to switch to part-time. I am just wondering how this affects the doctoral loan I have?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you
Original post by ImRobWalker
Hiya,

I'm currently on a full-time PhD course at the University of Stirling. I am unfortunately having to switch to part-time. I am just wondering how this affects the doctoral loan I have?

Any advice is greatly appreciated, thank you
Hi there,

Has your university confirmed is this will increase your overall course length?

Thanks, Graeme
Reply 2
Original post by Graeme SFE
Hi there,

Has your university confirmed is this will increase your overall course length?

Thanks, Graeme
Hi Graeme,

Not yet mate; still waiting to hear back from my request to change paths. I am essentially just wondering as to how the payments are affected.

Best wishes,
Rob
Hi Graeme,

Not yet mate; still waiting to hear back from my request to change paths. I am essentially just wondering as to how the payments are affected.

Best wishes,
Rob
Thanks. We'd need to determine this based on your course length and how many years the course will now be. How many years have you studied so far and how many years was the course due to be? Thanks, Jason
Reply 4
Original post by SFE Jason
Thanks. We'd need to determine this based on your course length and how many years the course will now be. How many years have you studied so far and how many years was the course due to be? Thanks, Jason
Hi Jason,

Apologies in the belated; I was waiting for the answers from my university.

To answer:
I began this PhD in Oct., 2023; expected end, Aug., 2027.
This has now been altered to April, 2034. (Though I am evidently hopeful of completing long before then!)

Best wishes,
Rob
Hi Jason,
Apologies in the belated; I was waiting for the answers from my university.
To answer:
I began this PhD in Oct., 2023; expected end, Aug., 2027.
This has now been altered to April, 2034. (Though I am evidently hopeful of completing long before then!)
Best wishes,
Rob
Hi Rob,

Thanks - first of all, your entitlement will stay the same. So, you'll still be entitled to the full loan that you've applied for even if your course is now extended.

What happens in terms of your payments depends on the university. For example, if they're happy to have this not affect your payment schedule with us then they don't need to do anything.

If they tell us that your course is extended this can mean that your payments are split over more years, so it's definitely worth asking your university if they're going to tell us about this or not.

Thanks, Graeme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending