The Student Room Group

Use the dissertation title selection list or submit a proposal to get a first class?

Will choosing a dissertation project title from the list provided instead of creating my own proposal harm my chances of achieving a first class? I am already very interested in many of the titles/descriptions given.
Original post by Davinarose
Will choosing a dissertation project title from the list provided instead of creating my own proposal harm my chances of achieving a first class? I am already very interested in many of the titles/descriptions given.

The source of the title should not matter, those suggested by staff are likely close to their own research areas so _they_ think they are worthwhile. There might be a few field and institution subtleties however, one to discuss with your personal tutor or potential supervisors.
Original post by Davinarose

Hi @Davinarose

This is a really interesting question, and not one I have thought about before, so thank you for sharing!

I think there is no simple answer, as it depends on many factors.

The first thing it depends on is your interests and strengths. It’s unlikely that NONE of the suggested thesis topics have ANY overlap with your interests/strengths, unless you have very few options or are restricting yourself to a very niche area.
If you think one project slightly overlaps with your interest, you can talk to the supervisor about expanding that area of the project. Or if you are interested in gaining a specific skill, you can ask if there is a way to incorporate that. Honestly, most project development (even for lecturers/professors) is a team effort, with input from multiple people, and so having these conversations is a skill in itself. It can also show you how flexible/supportive a potential supervisor is willing to be, and also give more insight into what the project will be like to do on a day to day basis.

If you can’t find any projects that overlap with your interests/skills, developing your own project may be the best option for you. However, don’t do this alone. Like I said above, this is almost always a collaborative task, and having input from your supervisor will ensure that each objective is feasible, that the aim addresses a real research gap or real-world problem.

Another thing to consider is while experiencing new things, your interests may expand, and you may even find that you have an aptitude for techniques/areas you didn’t expect. I did my undergraduate degree in genetics, and did a thesis project on using CRISPR. This happened to be in plants, but I chose the project originally because of the technique I wanted to use. However, clearly I discovered a whole new area of interest as now I am doing a PhD in Plant Science! This might sound uncommon, but in my experience, it isn’t. I had a similar experience in my PhD, where I LOVED the computational aspect (having started my PhD thinking I was terrible at this aspect of biology, and questioning my sanity for choosing a project that included this). I can’t count how many others have shared similar experiences with me.
Of course I’m not recommending choosing a project you think you’ll dislike, but don’t let tunnel vision or reluctance to try things outside your existing interests rob you of the opportunity to find new interests and develop new skills.

Best of luck with your project,

Ciara
3rd year Agrifood PhD student
Cranfield Student Ambassador

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending