Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Which uni is better for economics??

Hi,

Our economics course is ranked 17th in the Guardian’s 2020 subject ranking table with Coventry placing 34th for economics, with graduate prospects for the course being ranked 5th in the UK in the Times Good University Guide.

Our business school graduates earn an average of £35,900 five years after graduating. So you’ll be in good company with an Aston degree.

If you have any questions please do give me a shout.
Josh
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by Aston University
Hi,

Our economics course is ranked 17th in the Guardian’s 2020 subject ranking table with Coventry placing 34th for economics, with graduate prospects for the course being ranked 5th in the UK in the Times Good University Guide.

Our business school graduates earn an average of £35,900 five years after graduating. So you’ll be in good company with an Aston degree.

If you have any questions please do give me a shout.
Josh

If I apply in clearing can i get a verbal offer if i still hold an unconditional?
If I apply in clearing can i get a verbal offer if i still hold an unconditional?

Hi,

We wouldn’t be able to make you a binding verbal offer unless you were in clearing. We would however be able to indicate whether you meet our entry requirements or not on the call.

You would then need to ask for a release from your unconditional offer or use the new self-release form. There is an element of risk involved in doing so, as for a short period of time you will not be holding an offer from any institution. Courses could fill up in between being told you meet the entry requirements, being released and then calling the hotline again to be given an offer.

Hope that clears things up.
Josh
Reply 4
Hi,

We wouldn’t be able to make you a binding verbal offer unless you were in clearing. We would however be able to indicate whether you meet our entry requirements or not on the call.

You would then need to ask for a release from your unconditional offer or use the new self-release form. There is an element of risk involved in doing so, as for a short period of time you will not be holding an offer from any institution. Courses could fill up in between being told you meet the entry requirements, being released and then calling the hotline again to be given an offer.

Hope that clears things up.
Josh

Okay, so based on that risk is it safe for me to do it?

Let's assume I meet the grade requirements and I ask for an indication. When I decline my unconditional and apply for Aston, do I need to ring Aston again or just apply on UCAS?

Is it worth the risk, or will I be accepted due to me inquiring beforehand?
Okay, so based on that risk is it safe for me to do it?

Let's assume I meet the grade requirements and I ask for an indication. When I decline my unconditional and apply for Aston, do I need to ring Aston again or just apply on UCAS?

Is it worth the risk, or will I be accepted due to me inquiring beforehand?

It's not risky, but wait until results day and then get released.
Reply 6
Original post by Beasty990
It's not risky, but wait until results day and then get released.

So on results day I get my results then ring Aston to see if I meet their requirements.

Then I decline my unconditional and ring aston again for a verbal offer then apply on UCAS track.

Is this correct?
So on results day I get my results then ring Aston to see if I meet their requirements.

Then I decline my unconditional and ring aston again for a verbal offer then apply on UCAS track.

Is this correct?

Agree, entire process is not straightforward.
Hi,

That’s pretty much spot on. To give you a more detailed process I would suggest the following:

1) Check the course you’re interested in, is in clearing on our website.

2) Check the entry requirements for said course If you meet or exceed these you should be made an offer.

3) Check there aren’t any subject specific requirements. You could have the right grades for a biology degree, for example (BBB) but if one of those isn’t specifically a Biology A-level you wouldn’t be made an offer.

4) Check you meet the GCSE requirements. All of our courses require GCSEs in Maths and English and a good number of them require you to be holding at least five GCSEs. Sometimes this can trip applicants up.

5) If it’s not clear whether you meet or exceed the entry requirements, call our clearing hotline.

6) Once you’re sure you meet the entry requirements and accept there is some level of risk involved you would get released into clearing, either by calling up your unconditional offer or using the UCAS self-release form.

7) Once released into clearing, call our clearing hotline and apply for a clearing place.

8) Providing you meet the entry requirements and that the course is still open for clearing applicants you’ll be made an offer.

9) The offer will consist of a verbal offer from our hotline agent and an email with the instructions of how to accept your place through UCAS track. This should be valid for 24 hours from the time you accept your place with our hotline agent.

10) Once you confirm your place on UCAS track you’ll be joining us in September.

Hope that helps clear up the clearing process for you both.
Josh

Definitely Aston. for both unis though i hope you are British Asian otherwise you might not fit in socially
Original post by A Rolling Stone
Definitely Aston. for both unis though i hope you are British Asian otherwise you might not fit in socially

I’m sorry but this is not true,

We have a very diverse student population, during my time as a student at Aston I made friends with people from all over the world: France, Brazil, Japan, Ireland, America and Germany along with British students of many different races, religions and backgrounds. Many of which I’m still in contact with after graduating. “Fitting in” has very little to do with race and is down to being sociable, outgoing and actively trying to make friends.

Josh
Hi,

That’s pretty much spot on. To give you a more detailed process I would suggest the following:

2) Check the entry requirements for said course If you meet or exceed these you should be made an offer.

3) Check there aren’t any subject specific requirements. You could have the right grades for a biology degree, for example (BBB) but if one of those isn’t specifically a Biology A-level you wouldn’t be made an offer.

4) Check you meet the GCSE requirements. All of our courses require GCSEs in Maths and English and a good number of them require you to be holding at least five GCSEs. Sometimes this can trip applicants up.

5) If it’s not clear whether you meet or exceed the entry requirements, call our clearing hotline.

6) Once you’re sure you meet the entry requirements and accept there is some level of risk involved you would get released into clearing, either by calling up your unconditional offer or using the UCAS self-release form.

7) Once released into clearing, call our clearing hotline and apply for a clearing place.

8) Providing you meet the entry requirements and that the course is still open for clearing applicants you’ll be made an offer.

9) The offer will consist of a verbal offer from our hotline agent and an email with the instructions of how to accept your place through UCAS track. This should be valid for 24 hours from the time you accept your place with our hotline agent.

10) Once you confirm your place on UCAS track you’ll be joining us in September.

Josh

Thank you.

What if I decline my unconditional to find that the spaces are gone? Can this happen and how do I avoid it?
Thank you.

What if I decline my unconditional to find that the spaces are gone? Can this happen and how do I avoid it?

Unfortunately, this can happen and there isn’t much of a safety net.

Usually going through adjustment would give you a safety net, if you were holding a conditional firm offer. However, accepting an unconditional offer makes you ineligible for this as you can’t exceed an unconditional offer.

The best advice I can give you is the make sure you’re up bright and early and have your results as soon as possible. All places are allocated on a first come first serve basis. It all comes down to how keen you actually are to go to your unconditional offer. If you no longer want to go there, then this is your opportunity to shop around and find something that may be a better fit for you. However if you do want to go to your unconditional and instead are trying to trade up to a better university you do run the risk of not having a place at either institution, you'll have to decide whether it's a risk you wish to take or not.

Historically, our most popular courses (Optometry, Pharmacy, Business School & Psychology) close late on Thursday or early Friday morning with our other courses staying open longer over the clearing period. Obviously this can vary massively year to year, but hopefully, it should serve to give you an estimate of the time window you would be working with.

Hope that helps
Josh
I’m sorry but this is not true,

We have a very diverse student population, during my time as a student at Aston I made friends with people from all over the world: France, Brazil, Japan, Ireland, America and Germany along with British students of many different races, religions and backgrounds. Many of which I’m still in contact with after graduating. “Fitting in” has very little to do with race and is down to being sociable, outgoing and actively trying to make friends.

Josh

it's over 50% British-asian so please don't try to claim your university is some beacon of diversity...
Unfortunately, this can happen and there isn’t much of a safety net.

Usually going through adjustment would give you a safety net, if you were holding a conditional firm offer. However, accepting an unconditional offer makes you ineligible for this as you can’t exceed an unconditional offer.

The best advice I can give you is the make sure you’re up bright and early and have your results as soon as possible. All places are allocated on a first come first serve basis. It all comes down to how keen you actually are to go to your unconditional offer. If you no longer want to go there, then this is your opportunity to shop around and find something that may be a better fit for you. However if you do want to go to your unconditional and instead are trying to trade up to a better university you do run the risk of not having a place at either institution, you'll have to decide whether it's a risk you wish to take or not.

Historically, our most popular courses (Optometry, Pharmacy, Business School & Psychology) close late on Thursday or early Friday morning with our other courses staying open longer over the clearing period. Obviously this can vary massively year to year, but hopefully, it should serve to give you an estimate of the time window you would be working with.

Hope that helps
Josh

Thanks, last question!

How many places roughly are there for economics clearing based on previous years and what time do you recommend I contact Aston university on results day for clearing?

I plan to get my results st 8am and ring aston at 8:30am is this okay? And then hopefully enquire about an offer by 10am. I don't know how many places there are so even at that time I may be too late.

What do you advise?
Thanks, last question!

How many places roughly are there for economics clearing based on previous years and what time do you recommend I contact Aston university on results day for clearing?

I plan to get my results st 8am and ring aston at 8:30am is this okay? And then hopefully enquire about an offer by 10am. I don't know how many places there are so even at that time I may be too late.

What do you advise?

Hi,

I can’t give you any exact numbers as these fluctuate year on year and there are a number of variable which can affect this. Historically, Economics has tended to close late into the Thursday afternoon if not Friday morning.

There are too many variables to give you any direct advice in this situation unfortunately, especially as this will be the first year the UCAS self-release form will be available for applicants, potentially increasing the number of students in clearing by a large amount.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. I can only do my best to be informative and present you with information rather than attempting to influence your decision under UCAS rules.

Josh
Hi,

I can’t give you any exact numbers as these fluctuate year on year and there are a number of variable which can affect this. Historically, Economics has tended to close late into the Thursday afternoon if not Friday morning.

There are too many variables to give you any direct advice in this situation unfortunately, especially as this will be the first year the UCAS self-release form will be available for applicants, potentially increasing the number of students in clearing by a large amount.

Sorry I couldn’t be of more help. I can only do my best to be informative and present you with information rather than attempting to influence your decision under UCAS rules.

Josh

Thanks for everything. I have decided that on results day, depending on my grades, I will ring up Aston first and then if they say I should apply I will but if they say it's unlikely then i wont.

Fingers crossed
Thanks for everything. I have decided that on results day, depending on my grades, I will ring up Aston first and then if they say I should apply I will but if they say it's unlikely then i wont.

Fingers crossed

Good luck!

:smile:

There about the same tbh.

Neither will open doors in top firms, if your wanting to go into high finance, consulting etc. the big guys just don't hire from these Unis.

If you want to apply for the standard graduate schemes (finance or other) then either will be fine.
Hi,

Josh

An MSC degree in Data science from Aston or Coventry university, which would give me a better chance of bagging a job?

Latest