The Student Room Group

Do you prefer to say HIGH SCHOOL or SECONDARY SCHOOL?

What do you guys call year 7 to 11?

Scroll to see replies

Secondary, which is more common in England
The name of my school is "___________ high school", so I've always called it "high school". :dontknow:

I've called it secondary school when I have to explain to family members in foreign countries or older relatives who go by the US system.

Sometimes I'll say "secondary" though. It's a mix really.
I say high school; I know we’re not American, but I think it sounds better
Reply 4
High school

Although it would make more sense to call it secondary school, considering in Scotland our years are S1 - S6 (which stand for Secondary 1 - Secondary 6). The problem with this is that it doesn't have a ring to it as primary school does. Like Primary 1 sounds normal, Secondary 1 sounds stupid.

Edit: just realised that the thread stated "What do you guys call year 7 to year 11", so this doesn't apply to me lol.
(edited 4 years ago)
Secondary school
considering secondary education, by the definition I was taught comprises of GCSEs AND A levels, I would say it depends on whether your high school offers A levels, Btecs etc (if yes, then 2ndary, if no, then high school)
Reply 7
Secondary school, as high school is American and besmirches the already dying British culture infiltrated by egregious Americanisms already like « movie »
To those who say "high school" is American, I refer you to this post (from identical thread from 10 months ago):

Original post by Notoriety
I thought it was secondary school for a long time, till I went off with a lass who studied at a very old all-girls school called Something High School. I looked it up and "high school" has continually been used in British English for some time, usually to mean a school which had no "primary" students attached. But for me, I still don't think this is correct. It only seems to be female schools which authentically have it in their names.

So I went on Wiki and listed all the latish 19th century schools which have "High School" in the name.

Spoiler

Original post by Notoriety
To those who say "high school" is American, I refer you to this post (from identical thread from 10 months ago):

a characteristic of Americanisms are godawful things which the British thankfully left behind generations ago, like soccer, -ize and fall
I use high school generally. But if I'm on Reddit I'll use secondary school mainly bc Reddit is mostly an American site and high school /s secondary school and get mixled on there.
HIGh sChoOL. Secondary school of course.
secondary school - high school just sounds too american lmao
Original post by A Rolling Stone
a characteristic of Americanisms are godawful things which the British thankfully left behind generations ago, like soccer, -ize and fall

2 smart 4 moi
Secondary
Original post by MathsMania

The worst time of my life
Secondary school. A lot of schools name themselves "<name> high school", and if it is done like that I am led to believe those pupils end up calling it high school more so than the rest of population.
Original post by MathsMania

secondary.
as we are british
not aMerIcaN
Original post by A Rolling Stone

not to mention they kinda can't spell. I mean 'color'? C'mon dude!
High school. All the now academies in my area were formerly called 'X High School', and this is going back to their foundings in the 1950s/1960s. To call it secondary school is unheard of here.

Quick Reply

Latest