The Student Room Group

Cleaning new piercings.

I’ve recently got my cartilage pierced and they has been very swollen for the past few days. I wondered if I was using the wrong salt, so my Nan told me I could use bicarbonate of soda to clean my piercing. Although, I’m unsure and the internet isn’t that much help. Can I?
Reply 1
I have 13 piercings in my ear. When some have gotten really swollen, I make a salt paste and put it on my ear at night for at minimum a week. It usually helps it! It’s literally sea salt and water but not a lot of water because you want to be able to use a q-tip and place it around the piercing if that makes sense.

I’ve been told lemon juice, aspirin, and a little bit of salt as well.. Tried that once and it burned a bit but after a while the swelling/bump disappeared. I’d say go with the salt and water paste first.
Reply 2
Original post by Teohen
I have 13 piercings in my ear. When some have gotten really swollen, I make a salt paste and put it on my ear at night for at minimum a week. It usually helps it! It’s literally sea salt and water but not a lot of water because you want to be able to use a q-tip and place it around the piercing if that makes sense.

I’ve been told lemon juice, aspirin, and a little bit of salt as well.. Tried that once and it burned a bit but after a while the swelling/bump disappeared. I’d say go with the salt and water paste first.

Thank you for replying to my post, I’ve made some paste, as you said, and carefully placed it around my swollen piercings. I’m just wondering do I do the paste twice a day or just once and just clean it in the morning?
My first helix was really swollen when I got it done so I got an ice cube and held it to the back of the earring for 5 minutes, then a second block to the front for 5 minutes. I kind of moved it in circles while holding it against it. I did the 2 times a day and within 3-4 days the swelling had gone down a lot. I also would use boiled salt water 3 times a day to clean my ear (however for my bottom 2 helix I used a savalon wound cleaner spray and this was probably the least painful of all my piercings) hope this helps! Xx
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by ChloeGuns
Thank you for replying to my post, I’ve made some paste, as you said, and carefully placed it around my swollen piercings. I’m just wondering do I do the paste twice a day or just once and just clean it in the morning?

I use the paste only at night because I can’t see myself walking around with white gunk on my ear lol. So if you’re following what I do, clean in the morning & paste over night!! Hope it works for you. Good luck!
Reply 5
Also, when did you get it pierced exactly???
Reply 6
Original post by Teohen
Also, when did you get it pierced exactly???

I got it pierced last Saturday, so 5 ish days ago.

Quick Reply

Latest