The Student Room Group

Trump cancels meeting with Danish PM over refusal to sell Greenland

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
Original post by 学生の父
We also bought New Amsterdam from the Dutch (it having previously been sold by its indigenous guardians). The thing is, buying and selling countries went out of fashion at the end of the Nineteenth Century. Perhaps Trump just hasn't caught up with modern ways of doing things.

Yeah, if you wish to make this a matter of fashion it does make sense. Trump is unfashionable indeed but that may well be his appeal to some.
Original post by z-hog
Yeah, if you wish to make this a matter of fashion it does make sense. Trump is unfashionable indeed but that may well be his appeal to some.

He knows perfectly well that it's out of date. It's all of a piece with his other shock jock tactics on Twitter. Today he's wheeling out anti-semitic tropes to attack Jewish Democrats in the US. His nauseating stream of conscience stuff is one level just plain disgusting, but he does it for reasons, just very, very cynical ones.
Reply 22
Original post by z-hog
You all know that the US bought Alaska from Russia, Louisiana from the French and New Mexico, right? Yeah, it's an absurd idea that only Trump could ever think of...

Why am I not surprised that you waltz into the thread to jump to Trump's defence over soenthing as ridiculous as this?

You're part of a cult. The man can do no wrong to you.
maybe they could arrange a BOGOF.... buy Greenland, get Iceland for free :h:
Reply 24
Original post by Fullofsurprises
He knows perfectly well that it's out of date.

I'll stop it right at the source, there's no such thing as being 'out of date'.
Reply 25
Original post by DSilva
Why am I not surprised that you waltz into the thread to jump to Trump's defence over soenthing as ridiculous as this?

You're part of a cult. The man can do no wrong to you.

It's not a defence of Trump, my interest is on Trumpophobes and the ridiculous things they say. Trumpophobia ought to be officially classified as a mental issue, in my opinion.
Original post by the bear
maybe they could arrange a BOGOF.... buy Greenland, get Iceland for free :h:

He will probably offer Mass. and SF in exchange, no point hanging onto all those lefties for no good reason.
Reply 27
Original post by z-hog
It's not a defence of Trump, my interest is on Trumpophobes and the ridiculous things they say. Trumpophobia ought to be officially classified as a mental issue, in my opinion.

Except of course you are trying to defend him, as you do in virtually every thread, yet you still somehow claim you're not a supporter of his.

Do you really not see how utterly ridiculous and laughable it is for a president, in the modern day, to be talking about buying other countries? Or does that really need explaining to you?
Reply 28
That wasn't a meme? He actually wanted to do that?
****ing hell
Original post by Sinnoh
****ing hell

You didn't dream it. It is still 2019 and you aren't in a timeslip parody involving time travel and someone dressed in an orange boiler suit.
Since the Vikings supposedly discovered North America, shouldn’t it be Greenland buying America and not the other way round?🤔
Original post by z-hog

Everytime there is some criticism of Trump on TSR, you pop up. Rather than actually engaging with the criticism, you squeal Trumpophobia and and make specious claims that those people have mental problems.

Do you have the self-awareness to understand why your opinions are frequently ridiculed?
Original post by Stiff Little Fingers
Not really relevant to this since while America bought a lot of land in the 1800s, that's not how global politics is conducted anymore...

You sure about that?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Treaty_of_the_Danish_West_Indies

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/J%C3%A4niskoski-Niskakoski_territory

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gwadar_Port

A more recent example:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/asia/japan/9521793/Japan-agrees-to-buy-disputed-Senkaku-islands.html
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 33
Original post by z-hog

trumpophobe and trumpophobia how old are you man?
Reply 34
Original post by Sinnoh
****ing hell

I have no issue with some country trying to buy land off of someone else, but this whole situation is ridiculous especially the childish reaction of not visiting the country because they said no.
Original post by bj27
I have no issue with some country trying to buy land off of someone else, but this whole situation is ridiculous especially the childish reaction of not visiting the country because they said no.

Typical Donald really. He never grew up properly due to being ridiculously spoiled by an overindulgent parent, too much money too easily and a family culture of the men having their own way 24/7.

He's the poster child for why billionaire-ism doesn't make sense.
Original post by z-hog
You all know that the US bought Alaska from Russia, Louisiana from the French and New Mexico, right? Yeah, it's an absurd idea that only Trump could ever think of...

Yep, a lot of things that were common 150 years ago would sound absurd now. Back then international diplomacy via dynastic marriages was normal, for instance, but anyone proposing it now, even in a monarchical state, would be laughed at.
Reply 37
Original post by Onde
Truman tried to buy Greenland for $100 million in 1946.

An obscene undervaluation it would seem.
What is your point though sorry?
Reply 38
Original post by z-hog

This would imply an irrational fear or hatred when by every metric people are fully entitled (and even should) despise this worthless meat sack. Never mind the national obligation to mock him for his various **** ups.
Reply 39
Original post by Napp
This would imply an irrational fear or hatred...

Absolutely!

...when by every metric people are fully entitled (and even should) despise this worthless meat sack. Never mind the national obligation to mock him for his various **** ups.

:biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending