The Student Room Group

The Current Year 9 Chat Thread (2019-2020)

:tsr:

The Current Year 9 Thread Mark l (2019-2020)

Thursday 1st September 2005 to Thursday 31st August 2006 babies woooo! Hi, and welcome to the Year 9 thread. Even though you might think you’re the only Year 9 in The Student Room, there may be some out there lurking too. You can us this thread to discuss with other Year 9 about your GCSEs choices and how you're feeling about GCSEs and many other things.

Icebreakers

- Introduce yourself

- What are your hobbies/interests?

-What subjects are you currently studying? (Include the exam board if you know it)

- What subjects are you planning to pick for your GCSEs?

- What your favourite and least favourite subject?

- What are your predicted grades?

- What is your ideal future occupation?

-How are you feeling about starting Year 9?

-One interesting fact about yourself

Everyone from Year 10 to Year 13+ what advice would you give to the year 9s starting this September and What was Year 9 like for you?

You’ll finish school (Year 11) on June 2022, it sounds a long way away but trust me it will go by fast.

GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY YEAR 9!
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Lol I feel old now :lol:

Good luck Year 9 x
Original post by Starlight15
Everyone from Year 10 to Year 13+ what advice would you give to the year 9s starting this September and What was Year 9 like for you?

Just read this! :biggrin:

Year 9 should be a year where you consolidate friendships and make sure you understand KS3 content. If you're starting any GCSE courses this year (they tend to be Maths and Science in most schools), make sure you keep on top of your notes.

Most of all, have fun! It's the last *fun* year you get in school, so enjoy it.

Also shoutout to you @Starlight15, you're always on top of all the Current Threads. :lol: :five:
Original post by RazzzBerries
Also shoutout to you @Starlight15, you're always on top of all the Current Threads. :lol: :five:

Ah you noticed :lol: :five:, even though I'm starting second year of uni in September, I've always enjoyed these threads. I'm always on top with current threads :lol: now it's just Year 12 thread left
Ah you noticed :lol: :five:, even though I'm starting second year of uni in September, I've always enjoyed these threads. I'm always on top with current threads :lol: now it's just Year 12 thread left

I could tell! :tongue:
Yeah, that's my year :woohoo:. I was considering making it but I didn't know whether anyone else wanted to so I left it.
I could tell! :tongue:
Yeah, that's my year :woohoo:. I was considering making it but I didn't know whether anyone else wanted to so I left it.

:lol:

Ah ok, I guess we'll have to wait and seen but I bet if it was made you will be the first post or at least in the first page

Alright Year 9 come out, come out wherever you are :tongue:

Ah ok, I guess we'll have to wait and seen but I bet if it was made you will be the first post or at least in the first page

:wink:
@realistpotato Hello and welcome to the year 9 thread hopefully we can get more people
I feel so old going into year 13 right now. Best advice to year 9s is to enjoy it in all honesty
@realistpotato Hello and welcome to the year 9 thread hopefully we can get more people

Untitled3567890546.png
Original post by realistpotato
Untitled3567890546.png

XD :lol:

*comes out of grave*
Original post by realistpotato
*comes out of grave*

Yey! (My younger sister is starting year 9 in September so I'm encouraging her to use TSR at the moment)
Yey! (My younger sister is starting year 9 in September so I'm encouraging her to use TSR at the moment)

Noice :h:
Tip to year 9s:
Don't mess around in school as it is quite important for picking GCSE options but enjoy this year as it is the only last year of fun and enjoyment!!:grin:
Also, find which subjects are great for you and which you enjoy studying!

From a fellow year 10 student
Original post by D_Patel14
Tip to year 9s:
Don't mess around in school as it is quite important for picking GCSE options but enjoy this year as it is the only last year of fun and enjoyment!!:grin:
Also, find which subjects are great for you and which you enjoy studying!

From a fellow year 10 student

Chose my GCSE in year 8.
Starting my GCSE in year 9.
Hello Year 9 (s) - at the moment I only see one :lolwut:
I guess I'm a Year 10 now? :getmecoat: Well, last year I was a year 9, a hectic, crazy, young... you get the message: I've changed a lot recently. :motz:
Anyway, I just wanted to give you some advice for this year. :yep: I don't know how useful it is, but we'll see. :iiam:

1. Enjoy the year. I get it, you've heard this a zillion times: it's the last year of freedom etc etc. :dunce: It is so important though to make sure you get the right balance of fun, Year 10 and 11 become challenging if you've already burnt yourself out. :crazy:

2. Concentrate. This is the first year of your new GCSE courses, so instead of jumping on tables and breaking chairs in class, try to pay a little attention. :dumbells: Ensure you get some useful notes down, after all it's going to be difficult in the exam if you cannot remember the equation for kinetic energy. :burnout:

3. Friendships. This is the time to sort out who you want in your little circle. I'm not telling you to abandon friends :eyeball:, but if you feel as if you get dragged into trouble every 3 seconds, perhaps reconsider your choices. :call2: No matter how juicy beef looks, do not get involved because as I so harshly learned, it gets you nowhere. :afraid:

4. Keep up with homework and work loads. :blah: *insert eye-roll*. At the beginning of the year, I was a procrastinator to the max. :redface: Never did homework, never revised and to make things worse, I was that annoying child in class who always disrupts and never listens. :blushing: For my tests, I got grades varying from a 2 to a 5, no higher. :dong: I decided to sort myself out and at the end of the year, I was getting grades way above my predictions. Not much revision this year is needed, but before tests and mocks :cookie: reccap everything you need to give you that little boost. :nyan:

5. Take every opportunity possible. Make mistakes, it's OK. The one thing I regret is not taking the time to apply to roles that would look great on my CV. :catfight:

6. Discover what's best for you. :blow: It took me months to discover the learning that adapted to me. :dontknow: Experiment with several techniques and see how well each one goes for you.

7. Finally, take this year to get as many revision resources as possible. :couchpotato: Make flashcards, these take agesssss to do but if they work for you then start on them now. As a result, come Year 11 you will have a nice pile of revision materials to enjoy. :bl: Do practice questions, but do not burn out or revise too much!

Good luck class of 2022! :dance: You can do it.
(edited 4 years ago)
@emmastorey Hello and welcome to the year 9 thread of 2019/20 :smile:
Lol I feel old now :lol:

Good luck Year 9 x

:shakecane:
YOU feel old? :emo:
I'm an old fool so won't stick around here long, I'll leave you be. :smile:

Just want to say enjoy year nine. You'll grow a lot this year, many of you are going to be hitting puberty and suddenly Shayne has broken up with Mickaela and your snapchat streak has finished and everything is suddenly more traumatic - it's gonna be this intense for the next two years and school won't be getting easier.

My advice would be to relax. Keep breathing and remember that you've got decades longer to live and things are allowed to change.

Some of you will have chosen GCSE subjects, others will soon be making that choice. :tsr2: is here to help. There's a sub forum for every subject here, don't forget to check them out if you get stuck.

Best thing you can do this year - befriend your teachers (not in a creepy way). If you make a good impression this year you'll find yourself in less trouble next year. Whereas if you make a bad name for yourself then staff are going to be making judgements before you've even walked into the classroom.

Have a blast, avoid the ciggies and always use protection. :wink:

Latest