The Student Room Group

Any A level students? Help!

i’m going to hopefully doing a level chemistry, biology and psycology, but i’m scared that my college will ask for an exam before hand so they can see if your prepared to study the course. i don’t know this because my college haven’t told me but i’m scared, did anyone else do a test before doing the course?

Scroll to see replies

They don’t usually ask before, but they do usually have assessments about a month after you start, from which they decide whether students are fit for the course. This was my sixth form, so it may be different to others.
Reply 2
Just firm it. The test is for them not for you. There will be other test for you to prove yourself.
Reply 3
When I did level 3 at college we did a mini maths and English test, it was the easiest thing in the world. Don't worry about it, they won't test you on anything difficult, if they test you at all.
depends where u go ngl.But mainly no
Original post by OR321
They don’t usually ask before, but they do usually have assessments about a month after you start, from which they decide whether students are fit for the course. This was my sixth form, so it may be different to others.

but isn’t the course already hard? you’re not going to be able to understand it in the first month so why are they making you guys do tests? idk, this is very scary for me because o want to do these courses but now i feel a little scared because what if i do bad in that test
Rarely, but some places do require an entrance exam.

Most places do not though.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by plainjayne1
When I did level 3 at college we did a mini maths and English test, it was the easiest thing in the world. Don't worry about it, they won't test you on anything difficult, if they test you at all.

okay, thank you
Original post by zenab anwar
but isn’t the course already hard? you’re not going to be able to understand it in the first month so why are they making you guys do tests? idk, this is very scary for me because o want to do these courses but now i feel a little scared because what if i do bad in that test

Usually the tests will only be on what the college has taught you so far, so it could just be a few questions
Original post by OR321
Usually the tests will only be on what the college has taught you so far, so it could just be a few questions

ah okay, makes sense. still scared though
Original post by JustOneMoreThing
Rarely, but some places to require an entrance exam.

Most places do not though.

they should have told us if they had an entrance exam, but they didn’t so i’m pretty sure they don’t have one until later on
Original post by tamil fever
depends where u go ngl.But mainly no

xaverian college mcr.
Original post by Bangz
Just firm it. The test is for them not for you. There will be other test for you to prove yourself.

okay thanks
Original post by zenab anwar
i’m going to hopefully doing a level chemistry, biology and psycology, but i’m scared that my college will ask for an exam before hand so they can see if your prepared to study the course. i don’t know this because my college haven’t told me but i’m scared, did anyone else do a test before doing the course?

Hi im going into second year with these alevels, and chemistry was the only one where we had an assesment about gcses to see "where we were at" when we came back from the summer. Usually any tests you do soon are for them to see where you are at and they wont kick you off the course. At my college what they did was teach us a topic in the alevel spec then gave us a test on it, only the people who did really really bad got spoken to about leaving the course early to avoid them making wrong choices :smile: even then, if you convince them it was just a blip they wont force you off the course
Original post by medapplicant2020
Hi im going into second year with these alevels, and chemistry was the only one where we had an assesment about gcses to see "where we were at" when we came back from the summer. Usually any tests you do soon are for them to see where you are at and they wont kick you off the course. At my college what they did was teach us a topic in the alevel spec then gave us a test on it, only the people who did really really bad got spoken to about leaving the course early to avoid them making wrong choices :smile: even then, if you convince them it was just a blip they wont force you off the course

thanks for this info, also, how are these courses? are they super hard, easy,? i’m doing aqa exam board. could you tell me a little about them please? if you could, thanks :smile: !
Original post by failure4039
thanks for this info, also, how are these courses? are they super hard, easy,? i’m doing aqa exam board. could you tell me a little about them please? if you could, thanks :smile: !

Honestly just be prepared, alevel content isn't really hard. You'll be able to understand what is going on and if not there are people you can talk to or you can research up on it yourself, however you NEED to do practise questions. i've been getting straight As in psychology all year round because that's more memory based and you just need to memorise everything (which can be hard if not done from the beginning) but bio and chem grades can be more up and down. Dont be so hard on yourself if your grades aren't perfect in the beginning, people in my classes (including myself) didnt always do too well on their first few standardised assesments but you get used to it with time and by second year you'll know how to approach all your alevels in the best way for YOU. good luck!
thanks. i’m looking to go into med because i’ve been really ill all my life with no one to treat me and because cancer runs through my family, i have a very strong and personal reason but these a levels i feel like are going to ruin it all... i think mindset is everything and that’s what i have, a strong mindset. i’ll take on your advice, i’ll just find chem to be a challenge but i’ll get on with it, no matter how challenging it is
thanks. i’m looking to go into med because i’ve been really ill all my life with no one to treat me and because cancer runs through my family, i have a very strong and personal reason but these a levels i feel like are going to ruin it all... i think mindset is everything and that’s what i have, a strong mindset. i’ll take on your advice, i’ll just find chem to be a challenge but i’ll get on with it, no matter how challenging it is

Im sorry to hear this man, but use your mindset to change it into actions, and use this to do well in ur alevels. Your personal reasons can be such a strong motivation and drive to help you succeed but just a little tip, try and steer away from personal reasons on your personal statement as they find this to be cliche. Instead strive for academic and personal achievements. Good luck b :smile:
Original post by medapplicant2020
Im sorry to hear this man, but use your mindset to change it into actions, and use this to do well in ur alevels. Your personal reasons can be such a strong motivation and drive to help you succeed but just a little tip, try and steer away from personal reasons on your personal statement as they find this to be cliche. Instead strive for academic and personal achievements. Good luck b :smile:

thanks and yeah, i obviously will not be using it for my personal statement because i don’t need anyone’s sympathy. just the 99th question, was your exam board AQA for any of these a level subjects?
thanks and yeah, i obviously will not be using it for my personal statement because i don’t need anyone’s sympathy. just the 99th question, was your exam board AQA for any of these a level subjects?

yeah im AQA for all of them

Quick Reply

Latest