The Student Room Group

The Current Year 13 Chat Thread (2019-2020)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by DerivativeName
That is true. I'm sure Y13 have always been old and mature, and I don't feel like that at all. I still feel like a Y7 ffs. I'm sure I was burning a crumble in food tech 5 6 days ago not 6 years.

yesss omg was literally just thinking about how i was so intimidated by the big scary year 13s with their big important folders and now i'm a big scary year 13 except i'm 4'11'' and act like a 12 year old:redface:
Introduce yourself
Hey, I am Loick, I'm from France !
What are your hobbies/interests?
I love to share my opinion with other physics students about current theories and ideas on unknown things in the universe that we have yet to discover.
What are you studying?
Physics,Maths and History
What grades do you hope to achieve?
I hope to achieve the highest grade possible, if I don't try to go for it, then I will never get them in my life and it doesn't even cost you anything to go for it. Maybe just some free time but its no big deal since you have all your life for it.
What are your plans for after Year 13?
Go to a top university and expand my understanding of Astrophysics.
What are your goals for the future?
Finding dark matter and other mysteries we have yet to find. Creating my own research team in Japan and also to be part of history.
How are you feeling about this year?
It will be a real challenge but nothing is impossible if you put some time into it. I will give my very best this year to see what I can achieve.
Introduce yourself
Hi, I'm Abby! I'm doing A-Levels at college and I'm 18 in 3 weeks! :biggrin:

I'm a brown belt in Shotokan karate and I've been doing it for 4 years. I used to be into performing arts, but I stopped when I was 15. I love English so I write stories and poems.

What are you studying? What grades do you hope to achieve?
English Language A-Level, Psychology A-Level and a Cambridge Technical Certificate in Health & Social Care. I'm hoping for B's in the A Levels and a distinction in Health & Social Care, but I'd also be ok with a merit.

I'm looking at a few universities particularly Canterbury, Roehampton, Hertfordshire and Middlesex (so if anyone else is thinking of any of these or knows anything about them, let me know :smile:) and I want to complete a Primary Education with QTS degree (especially interested in degrees that incorporate special educational needs as this is a passion)

I want to be a primary school teacher or special educational needs teacher.

Nervous, but excited and really, really, really scared. :tongue:
Hey, I'm Loci Pi :smile:

I enjoy doing maths. I also enjoy cooking but I find I don't have much time for it becuse of revision, haha!
What are you studying?
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Psychology
A*A*A*A or A*A*A*A*
I would like to go to uni to study Maths.
Nervous because I have different teachers for Maths and Physics this year and I always feel stressed about making a good first impression. Also I feel slightly disorgansied so I'm going to spend this weekend organising my subject folders ready for year 13.

I might start a Grow Your Grades thread, but I started one last year and forgot to update it after a few months :redface:

Good luck in year 13 everyone!!
(edited 4 years ago)
Introduce yourself
Oh hey!!!! I'm statsboi2002, as my name suggests I like stats and I was born in 2002.
Obviously maths and stats are my main interests, but outside of academics I like reading, cycling, gaming and baking/cooking. I'm also getting into coding (mainly Python rn). I'm interested in history as well.
What are you studying?
A-Level Maths, Further Maths and Chemistry.
Really hoping for A*A*A*.
Go to uni and study Maths and Stats. I'm aiming for Oxford but realistically I don't think I'll get in.
I want to work as a statistician.
Worried, but somehow not worried enough if that makes sense. I feel worried about how little I care at the moment.
hi i'm Jen!

ballet and running and general fitness..aand that's it

What are you studying? What grades do you hope to achieve?
studying physics, maths and graphics. Hoping to achieve AAB (with and A in EPQ)

really REALLY want to study architectural engineering
and eventually buy a cosy house

would love to renovate a disused interesting building and be an airbnb host.. would be cool

absolute crap! dreading the year ahead and very nervous
Here we go again :shot:

I'll add my info later :tongue:
Those of you who take A level physics, how are you finding it? I'm not finding it too difficult at the moment, but there are so many experiments and PAGs which I'm getting quite tired of, and the calculations are all repetitive...

I think it's kind of a shame, as physics in itself is actually really interesting.
Original post by Loci Pi
Hey, I'm Loci Pi :smile:

I enjoy doing maths. I also enjoy cooking but I find I don't have much time for it becuse of revision, haha!
What are you studying?
Maths, Further Maths, Physics, and Psychology
A*A*A*A or A*A*A*A*
I would like to go to uni to study Maths.
Nervous because I have different teachers for Maths and Physics this year and I always feel stressed about making a good first impression. Also I feel slightly disorgansied so I'm going to spend this weekend organising my subject folders ready for year 13.

I might start a Grow Your Grades thread, but I started one last year and forgot to update it after a few months :redface:

Good luck in year 13 everyone!!

Hi, I'm also going to apply for Maths at uni. Your grades look very good - are you considering Oxford/Cambridge?
Reply 29
Original post by GreenCub
Those of you who take A level physics, how are you finding it? I'm not finding it too difficult at the moment, but there are so many experiments and PAGs which I'm getting quite tired of, and the calculations are all repetitive...

I think it's kind of a shame, as physics in itself is actually really interesting.

A level maths/fm mechanics >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> A level physics mechanics
yo for anyone taking a level maths on edexcel pm me

I got an offer you can't refuse
So scared for year 13 - May add some stuff to this later.
Original post by Your Local Cat
A level maths/fm mechanics >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> A level physics mechanics

I know physics A level has been designed such that maths A level isn't required to understand anything, but I still find it hard to take the tangent-drawing and square-counting seriously because they can't include differentiation and integration. Not to mention the extent of the 'maths' in the physics A level is basically proportionality and equation-rearranging.
Original post by JJJJJAAAAMES
yo for anyone taking a level maths on edexcel pm me

I got an offer you can't refuse

seems legit :s-smilie:
Original post by dont fail
seems legit :s-smilie:

ask this guy @Yzb010
Reply 35
I know physics A level has been designed such that maths A level isn't required to understand anything, but I still find it hard to take the tangent-drawing and square-counting seriously because they can't include differentiation and integration. Not to mention the extent of the 'maths' in the physics A level is basically proportionality and equation-rearranging.

Did you ever see AQA's no-calculus-allowed derivation of V=GMrV = -\dfrac{GM}{r}? It's kinda disgusting

Spoiler

I’m doing A-Level physics without maths. I’ve found it pretty interesting and I think I’ll prefer the year 2 side of my course (there’s more particle physics, waves, radioactivity stuff that I enjoy learning about). The CGP book full of maths skills for A-Level physics has been so useful as it has everything you need for A-Level physics maths wise. Yeah I have enjoyed it, sometimes I find the equations difficult and the exam papers make no sense at all.
Original post by Sinnoh
Did you ever see AQA's no-calculus-allowed derivation of V=GMrV = -\dfrac{GM}{r}? It's kinda disgusting

Spoiler

Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis The Wise?

I thought not. It’s not a story the Jedi would tell you. It’s a Sith legend. Darth Plagueis was a Dark Lord of the Sith, so powerful and so wise he could use the Force to influence the midichlorians to create life… He had such a knowledge of the dark side that he could even keep the ones he cared about from dying. The dark side of the Force is a pathway to many abilities some consider to be unnatural. He became so powerful… the only thing he was afraid of was losing his power, which eventually, of course, he did. Unfortunately, he taught his apprentice everything he knew, then his apprentice killed him in his sleep. Ironic. He could save others from death, but not himself.
Original post by Sinnoh

Spoiler

I'm not a fan of derivations that use delta terms and differentials, although I've heard they're quite common in physics. The way AQA said 'the use of maths in physics' makes it sound like they think maths is of only minor importance and is just a 'tool' for physics. :mad:

This is OCR's 'proof' of the centripetal acceleration equation a=v2ra=\frac{v^2}{r} which is similarly disgusting.

It really bothered me so I wrote a proper proof that used calculus, but all it did was make my teacher suggest that I should be a theoretical physicist because I 'liked the way maths is related to physics'. I love theoretical physics, but it's not as though all branches of physics don't need a decent level of mathematical rigour...
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Zaniiii
Hiya!

Hobbies/interests:
I enjoy doing a ton of different things really. I play netball for my local club and go to gym 3-4 times a week. I also really enjoy Drama and Performing Arts so I always try to get involved in local plays etc. I’m also really interested in anything to do with Dementia and research surrounding it.

Studying:
Biology, Chemistry and Maths (used to do Physics at AS-level but I dropped it this year) and an EPQ.

What grades I’d like to achieve:
It’s very ambitious, but I’m hoping to get 3A*s and an A in my EPQ. (Haven’t gotten predicted grades yet, but I think they’d be lower than that)

Plans for after y13?
I want to go to Uni to study Medicine but still undecided on where.

Feelings about this year:
I’m excited to start back at College and learn new content, but in that same breathe am also a tiny bit apprehensive because I’ve heard it’s quite a big jump from AS to A-levels and I know I need to really focus if I want to achieve those grades.

hiya! what boards are you doing for bio/chem/math?

Quick Reply

Latest