The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ben Samual
I’ve been given a place at Bristol university but they have not been able to give me accommodation, such that I live 200 miles away but have no way of attending! Is anyone in the same position / been in this position?

Hello, Ben- I'm still awaiting a response from Bristol for my accommodation myself- did they confirm you definitely do not have any accommodation, or have they not responded yet?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
I’ve been given a place at Bristol university but they have not been able to give me accommodation, such that I live 200 miles away but have no way of attending! Is anyone in the same position / been in this position?

no uni accomodation does not = no accomodation.

Your supposed to be going to Uni use that thing between your ears. Facebook Uni accomodation pages, spareroom.com, rightmove, local estate agents etc... im sure you can find a house or flat in a couple hours.
Reply 3
Original post by Illidan2
Hello, Ben- I'm still awaiting a response from Bristol for my accommodation myself- did they confirm you definitely do not have any accommodation, or have they not responded yet?

I haven’t received an email so I logged into the accommodation portal
I haven’t received an email so I logged into the accommodation portal

I also did this and the portal hasn't given me any information with regard to where I stand with my offer as of yet.
Reply 5

Hi and yes I'm in the same situation - had an email today. Working though the options at the moment... not great is it?!
Reply 6
Original post by jack1607
Hi and yes I'm in the same situation - had an email today. Working though the options at the moment... not great is it?!

It's a nightmare! Perhaps take a gap year and go to a different university! So annoyed though.
Reply 7
HI Ben, In the same situation. I have been told I have no accommodation and so looking to rent..
If anybody finds shared rented accommodation, let me know....still looking.
Reply 9
Original post by mnot
no uni accomodation does not = no accomodation.

Your supposed to be going to Uni use that thing between your ears. Facebook Uni accomodation pages, spareroom.com, rightmove, local estate agents etc... im sure you can find a house or flat in a couple hours.

I am looking, and I’ve enquired about many properties, however this doesn’t ease the uncertainty about the situation. Nor does it diminish the surprise of receiving nothing from the uni
I am looking, and I’ve enquired about many properties, however this doesn’t ease the uncertainty about the situation. Nor does it diminish the surprise of receiving nothing from the uni

If you are waiting to hear back on the other side of results day (whilst it might be surprising to you, in general it isnt), I don't know about Bristol specifically but most places are first come, first served and the accomodation gets booked up in march, april, may. Hence students who looking after this point are essentially picking up the leftovers from students who missed their offers.

Universities will do their best to re-allocate this as fast as possible, but you should be aware of having to book privately (including at private halls, or room swaps: alot of people will look for people to take their contract on FB etc).

I just went on spareroom and rightmove & could see some decent student properties, so whilst you were hoping for the uni to sort you out, i recommend just start looking yourself.

fyi also found this page
https://www.facebook.com/groups/237366726805558/
Reply 11
Original post by mnot
If you are waiting to hear back on the other side of results day (whilst it might be surprising to you, in general it isnt), I don't know about Bristol specifically but most places are first come, first served and the accomodation gets booked up in march, april, may. Hence students who looking after this point are essentially picking up the leftovers from students who missed their offers.

Universities will do their best to re-allocate this as fast as possible, but you should be aware of having to book privately (including at private halls, or room swaps: alot of people will look for people to take their contract on FB etc).

I just went on spareroom and rightmove & could see some decent student properties, so whilst you were hoping for the uni to sort you out, i recommend just start looking yourself.

fyi also found this page

As I’ve already replied to someone else I’ve applied to many new places today. I was not aware that I could possibly be in this position however :smile:
mnot you're missing the point. The majority of the applicants that have received an email today that the Uni accommodation office can not offer them a Uni hall live a long way from Bristol. Bristol run a two tier system whereby the firm offers get allocated their accommodation (via a process that is touted to enough diversity in halls but seems to be totally random) a week after the results come out. The second tier (ie insurance and clearing) have to wait until results day to apply and have been waiting until today to only be told there was nothing available in Uni halls. Thereby missing 3 weeks of looking for private sector rental. All the Bristol accommodation office is offering is 1. Live with a relative that is local 2. Apply for a place in Langford (the Vet school) which is 14 miles away and only has a 1st bus at 8:00 in the morning and a last bus back at 18:15, 3. Apply for place in Newport South Wales which is 31 miles away and drive or pay for travel or 4. Come to a private house search event next week at a cost of £135. Yes there private sector rents available but you have to travel to Bristol to view and sign contracts. Also the Uni offers £1000 discounts on accommodation if you are on a low income but if you are forced into the private sector there is no discount and the maximum maintenance loan is blown out of the water as you have to commit to a 52 week contract.
Reply 13
Original post by Anonymous
If anybody finds shared rented accommodation, let me know....still looking.

Same here, I’ve contacted a couple of places but heard nothing back yet. What about yourself?
Reply 14
Original post by 1D****
HI Ben, In the same situation. I have been told I have no accommodation and so looking to rent..

How’s it going, I’d be happy to share accommodation. Have you received anything back
Original post by Bobby2019
mnot you're missing the point. The majority of the applicants that have received an email today that the Uni accommodation office can not offer them a Uni hall live a long way from Bristol. Bristol run a two tier system whereby the firm offers get allocated their accommodation (via a process that is touted to enough diversity in halls but seems to be totally random) a week after the results come out. The second tier (ie insurance and clearing) have to wait until results day to apply and have been waiting until today to only be told there was nothing available in Uni halls. Thereby missing 3 weeks of looking for private sector rental. All the Bristol accommodation office is offering is 1. Live with a relative that is local 2. Apply for a place in Langford (the Vet school) which is 14 miles away and only has a 1st bus at 8:00 in the morning and a last bus back at 18:15, 3. Apply for place in Newport South Wales which is 31 miles away and drive or pay for travel or 4. Come to a private house search event next week at a cost of £135. Yes there private sector rents available but you have to travel to Bristol to view and sign contracts. Also the Uni offers £1000 discounts on accommodation if you are on a low income but if you are forced into the private sector there is no discount and the maximum maintenance loan is blown out of the water as you have to commit to a 52 week contract.

im not missing the point, students who applied for accommodation after results day have just found out they cant get accomodation.

Nothing stopped them previously looking privately, they just pinned their hopes on 1 system which operates like a lottery. Yes generally its best to get down to view the accomodation for contracts etc but it is not actually necessary, contracts can signed and returned over email, and im sure if you get on the FB groups or websites you can sort accomodation today or tomorrow.
How’s it going, I’d be happy to share accommodation. Have you received anything back

Also interested in sharing - not a lot out there though. Is anyone signing up for the House Search event next week? £135!!
Also interested in sharing - not a lot out there though. Is anyone signing up for the House Search event next week? £135!!

I'm struggling to find accommodation myself- I may have to do the house search event.
Anybody taken a room in Newport?
Reply 19
Anybody taken a room in Newport?

Hey Jack - Pinged you a message about this....

Latest

Trending

Trending