The Student Room Group

Sussex or Kent University??

(Wasn’t sure where to post this) Looking to apply for either Biochemistry or Biomedical science at one of these Unis. I’m completely torn.

Sussex seems to be in clearing for these subjects which makes me question whether it’s a good course but you need AAB to get on which is pretty high.

Kent is not in clearing for these courses but you only need BCC for biochemistry which indicates to me that it’s not a very good course either yet it’s Biomed course is an IMBS accredited degree??

Weighing them up I would go for Kent but I’m really put off by the entry requirements, I’m predicted AAA so it seems like a waste of grades... thoughts?
Don't just look at the entry requirements and the league tables, read about the Unis, the facilities they provide, the societies they offer, the area etc etc.

I went to a college I believed was just overall better than my other choices and I hated it because I didn't know what I was getting into whereas with Uni I took the time to research my Uni, look at the differences in courses, modules etc and I'm really looking forward to it.
Reply 2
Original post by Ayyboi787
Don't just look at the entry requirements and the league tables, read about the Unis, the facilities they provide, the societies they offer, the area etc etc.

I went to a college I believed was just overall better than my other choices and I hated it because I didn't know what I was getting into whereas with Uni I took the time to research my Uni, look at the differences in courses, modules etc and I'm really looking forward to it.

That’s good advice, thank you. Where are you going to Uni?
Original post by Icykitten
That’s good advice, thank you. Where are you going to Uni?

University of York. seems to be a very good university, alot of the courses allow a placement in professional positions (someone even got a work placement in NYC I believe) and the uni as a whole offers alot of good opportunities.
Reply 4
Original post by Ayyboi787
University of York. seems to be a very good university, alot of the courses allow a placement in professional positions (someone even got a work placement in NYC I believe) and the uni as a whole offers alot of good opportunities.

Congrats on the place :smile:
Original post by Icykitten
(Wasn’t sure where to post this) Looking to apply for either Biochemistry or Biomedical science at one of these Unis. I’m completely torn.

Sussex seems to be in clearing for these subjects which makes me question whether it’s a good course but you need AAB to get on which is pretty high.

Kent is not in clearing for these courses but you only need BCC for biochemistry which indicates to me that it’s not a very good course either yet it’s Biomed course is an IMBS accredited degree??

Weighing them up I would go for Kent but I’m really put off by the entry requirements, I’m predicted AAA so it seems like a waste of grades... thoughts?

Hi there!

Really pleased to hear you're considering studying at Kent :smile: I wouldn't worry too much about whether a university is in Clearing or not, as that usually just means that year they had fewer applications which can be for a variety of reasons. Again, entry requirements certainly aren't any indication of the quality of the course or its teaching. Despite its seemingly low entry requirements, Kent still ranks relatively high in the league tables, so the course quality certainly isn't poor.
If you are worried about wasting your grades, as you said, then it could be worth looking at other universities and their Biomed. However, if I've learnt anything from my university experience, the main thing that matters is that you chose the course you enjoy the most and that you feel comfortable in your university's environment. I started university at a high ranking Russell Group university but hated the course and really did not feel like I fit in in the university environment. I was also worried initially that going to a different university would be a waste of my grades, but at the end of the day I was so much happier and I've never looked back :smile:

If you feel the course and environment at Kent is right for you then don't let the entry requirements deter you. I've really loved studying at Kent :biggrin: Good luck with your university decisions!
Reply 6
Thank you for the advice 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending