The Student Room Group

whats a level computer science/computing really like?

I love maths and physics and alot of people say that computing a level is about solving problems - but what kind of problems do you solve? how much memorisation is there? Is it like learning a language (e.g.. french)? I love solving problems but I don't love computers, should I still do conputer science? I hated coding back in yr 7
(edited 4 years ago)
I wouldn't say it's about solving problems as such, there is quite a lot of theory, although there is less in the second year, and the coding increases. I'd look at the course spec if you are unsure.
Reply 2
Original post by All Blunt
I wouldn't say it's about solving problems as such, there is quite a lot of theory, although there is less in the second year, and the coding increases. I'd look at the course spec if you are unsure.

I don't understand half the words on the course spec lol (e.g.. boolean)
Which exam board is it, Boolean is a data type that can be either true or false.
Reply 4
Original post by All Blunt
Which exam board is it, Boolean is a data type that can be either true or false.

I'm doing AQA
For me it was all memorisation, I think AQA is slightly more Maths based, I did OCR. Our programming project was 20% of the grade and took a ridiculous amount of time with my project write up being over 60,000 words. This is only a small part of the course but a lot of time will be spent coding for this assessment and then writing about it.

What is making you consider the a level? One of the exams is problem solving based but you often do this by writing algorithms or writing pseudocode in the written exam.
Reply 6
Original post by TeacupAndTragedy
For me it was all memorisation, I think AQA is slightly more Maths based, I did OCR. Our programming project was 20% of the grade and took a ridiculous amount of time with my project write up being over 60,000 words. This is only a small part of the course but a lot of time will be spent coding for this assessment and then writing about it.

What is making you consider the a level? One of the exams is problem solving based but you often do this by writing algorithms or writing pseudocode in the written exam.

I'm considering it because I'm doing Physics and maths, so it'll go well with my other subjects. also, alot of people say that it's essentially problem solving (which I like). And I'm not sure if I'll like it or not at a level as I didn't do it at GCSE (so far the content doesn't interest me, but alot of ppl say it's more of a problem solving thing). Finally, If I don't do comp sci, then I HAVE to do biology (which is a bit more interesting but more wordy (which isn't good for a mathsy sciency person)). I think my fear is not knowing which one I'll like/do better at. Im scared that If I do bio, I missed a chance of doing something more fun (problem solving).

btw, I hate rote memorisation, so either way I'm screwed (I hate all other subjects)- I guess if rather memorise bio.
(edited 4 years ago)
ok, that's the same as I'm doing, I'm in yr 13. I'm not sure how much help I can be, because I've been doing coding since year 9 so it wasn't a big step up or anything. But I've started enjoying it more, its the most relaxed lessons. There are of course problem solving aspects to coding, bit from what I've done so far that hasn't been so much the case, but I think that will change for the coursework in yr 13. For the theory side it isn't too difficult but it is generally memorisation. If you have any particular questions ask. Sorry I don't think I've been much help.
Original post by Azimbrook1
I'm considering it because I'm doing Physics and maths, so it'll go well with my other subjects. also, alot of people say that it's essentially problem solving (which I like). And I'm not sure if I'll like it or not at a level as I didn't do it at GCSE (so far the content doesn't interest me, but alot of ppl say it's more of a problem solving thing). Finally, If I don't do comp sci, then I HAVE to do biology (which is a bit more interesting but more wordy (which isn't good for a mathsy sciency person)). I think my fear is not knowing which one I'll like/do better at. Im scared that If I do bio, I missed a chance of doing something more fun (problem solving).

btw, I hate rote memorisation, so either way I'm screwed (I hate all other subjects)- I guess if rather memorise bio.

I would consider doing four to begin with if you have the option, then dropping one, that's what I did at the start of year 12 and did an AS instead, although not many places offer AS. anymore
Original post by Azimbrook1

Some of it is problem solving, but if you dislike coding I wouldn’t recommend it.

What you could do is look up some revision materials for the course (likely on YouTube) and see if it’s content you think you’d enjoy learning?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending