The Student Room Group

AQA Computer Science NEA 2020 draft

Has anyone started the GCSE NEA for next year and has a draft for their code? Any help would be appreciated

Scroll to see replies

yeah i can give you a hand if you want
Reply 2
Original post by jimmycode14

would it be alright if you could help me get through my NEAs please?
literally no one in my class knows how to code for it.
thank you!!!!!!!!!!!
i need help
jimmy help me out we can chat, please PM me

Original post by BrandonSHlow
jimmy help me out we can chat, please PM me

Pm me , we can use google hangouts
what actually is it?
Lol someone just type the code here pls
Give me a question or problem and I can write some code for you.
Reply 9
1A menu is displayed allowing the user to select fromthe following options:Enter RLEDisplay ASCII artConvert to ASCII artConvert to RLEQuit.2If the user selects the ‘Quit’ optionthen a suitable message should be displayedand the program ends. 3If the user selects the ‘Enter RLE’option:a.the user isasked how manylines of RLE compressed data they want toenterb.the program should check that the number entered is greater than 2 and if it isn’t display a suitable error message and get the user to keep re-entering the number until it is validc.if the user entered a valid number,they thenenter the compressed data one line at a time until they have entered the specified number of linesd.once all the compressed data has been entered, the program decompresses the data and displays the ASCII art imagee.theuser is returned to the main menu.4If the user selects the ‘Display ASCII art'option:a.the userisasked to enter the name of the text file that contains the ASCII artb.the program reads the contents of the text file and displays the ASCII art imagec.the user is returned to the main menu.5If the user selects the ‘Convert to ASCII art’ option:a.the user is asked to enter the name of the text file that contains the RLE compressed datab.the program reads the contents of the text file, decompresses the data anddisplays the ASCII artimagec.the user is returned to the main menu.6If the user selects the ‘Convert to RLE’ option:a.the userisasked to enter the name of the text file that contains the ASCII artb.the program reads the contents of the text file, compresses each line and stores the compressed data in a new text filec.the program calculates the difference between the number of characters used in the compressed and uncompressed versions of the ASCII art and displays this valued.theuser is returned to the main menu.END OF PROGRAMMINGPROJECT TASKCopyright © 2019AQA and its licensors. All rights reserved.
Original post by dbains20
Has anyone started the GCSE NEA for next year and has a draft for their code? Any help would be appreciated

Same i don't understand file handling at all
Original post by My xoxox
Same i don't understand file handling at all

Is it just file handling? Are you comfortable with using lists, dictionaries, for/while, strings, etc?

Have a look at some of these to explain file handling:
https://www.py4e.com/lessons/files
https://student.craigndave.org/videos/aqa-gcse-slr10-the-use-of-basic-file-handling-operations
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z-HpXbhVuGo&list=PL3072C720775B213E&index=5

The easiest way to work with files is to do all the 'read' logic at once and get all of that file's contents/data into a list in one go, because then you don't need to write any logic which messes about with files, instead doing everything in the program's memory using a list.

If you do that, when it comes to saving/updating the file, you can just overwrite the whole file by cycling through the whole list.

The reason for doing that is files only allow you to read/write sequentially, so that puts a lot of very difficult limitations on what you can do with a file. Lists are a lot more versatile, so if you build all the logic around lists and only interact with the physical files by doing 'read all' or 'write all' then it makes everything a lot easier.

Its good to write separate functions which Read and Write to/from the list as well, because then you can use them at any time. keeping the file read/write logic separate from the rest of the program, which is much easier to use. It avoids cluttering up the rest of the program with file read/write logic too.
(edited 4 years ago)
What about doing ascii art and rle???
Original post by Serena240704
What about doing ascii art and rle???

It's all just plain text, so there's no difference. The fact that it just happens to be ASCII art is totally irrelevant to the problem or any of the code you need to write. Wherever you see 'ASCII art' just replace it with 'plain text' instead and nothing changes
Reply 14
Original post by dbains20

can anyone help me, i am really really stuck
can anyone supply a example code? not for copying, just as a example to look at
Reply 16
Could you help me too? I’m so stuck!
Reply 17
Original post by nclCompSci
Give me a question or problem and I can write some code for you.

Can you pm me please so I could get some help too?

Would you like to help me because siiiiiiissss my class are struggling 110%
Original post by Olracuk
can anyone help me, i am really really stuck

Help me too man, dont snake it. We are in this together

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending