The Student Room Group

Grades

I am at the stage where my predicted grades are being discussed for universities. I just really wanted to know that would universities consider me if my predicted grades do not meet their entry requirements?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by khaia
I am at the stage where my predicted grades are being discussed for universities. I just really wanted to know that would universities consider me if my predicted grades do not meet their entry requirements?

Apart from the most competitive unis like Oxbridge, most would still consider you if your predicted grades were slightly below their published entry requirements. You could post again for more detailed advice once you know what your predicted grades are and where you want to apply (and knowing the course would also help).
Same as above. I was predicted BBB but got offers from Manchester and Liverpool for AAB
Reply 3
Original post by harrysbar
Apart from the most competitive unis like Oxbridge, most would still consider you if your predicted grades were slightly below their published entry requirements. You could post again for more detailed advice once you know what your predicted grades are and where you want to apply (and knowing the course would also help).

I am certainly sure I will be maximum predicted an ABB but I have applied to unis that consider AAA.
Original post by khaia
I am certainly sure I will be maximum predicted an ABB but I have applied to unis that consider AAA.

What subject did you apply for and what Unis did you apply to? And I hope you also applied to at least a couple of safer Insurance choices
Reply 5
What subject did you apply for and what Unis did you apply to? And I hope you also applied to at least a couple of safer Insurance choices

I am applying for Accounting and Finance at KCL, Queen Mary etc.
As my insurance offer, I have chosen the Royal Holloway. I am actually so stressed out because the exams we did for the predicted grades were so hard.
Original post by khaia
I am applying for Accounting and Finance at KCL, Queen Mary etc.
As my insurance offer, I have chosen the Royal Holloway. I am actually so stressed out because the exams we did for the predicted grades were so hard.

I am confused because you keep changing tenses so I can't tell if you have already applied or are going to.

What people normally do is get their predicted grades before they apply, and they choose their unis based on what those predicted grades are. For example, if you get predicted ABB, it would be reasonable to apply to one or two unis asking for AAA, one or two at AAB and one or two at ABB.

If you get predicted BBB or lower, you may have to reassess whether it is worth applying to unis asking for AAA.
Reply 7
I am confused because you keep changing tenses so I can't tell if you have already applied or are going to.

What people normally do is get their predicted grades before they apply, and they choose their unis based on what those predicted grades are. For example, if you get predicted ABB, it would be reasonable to apply to one or two unis asking for AAA, one or two at AAB and one or two at ABB.

If you get predicted BBB or lower, you may have to reassess whether it is worth applying to unis asking for AAA.

I am so sorry. I haven't applied yet but will apply by the 15th of October. Thanks so much for the advice!:smile:
Original post by khaia

There is a huge misconception about required: predicted grades.

In competitive subjects & schools: Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Veterinary, medicine, Law the predicted grades matter as quite a low percentage of students even get 'offers'.

But in average courses, even where the required grades are very competitive its not unusual to have very high offer percentages (often over 70% of candidates may receive an offer, in some Unis/courses over 90% of applicants get offers). What really determines your admittance into Uni is your ability to meet the required grades, this is the true barrier for most courses.

I would also say applicants should be aware that its also become common for Unis to mislead applicants about the required entry criteria, many courses at ex-poly unis for example advertise ABB then take CCC meaning its a joke, I would use whatuni and Unistats to check every application you consider prior to sending it over UCAS.

Also watch this before applying:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvvF7-5SIJ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdypNNlx1SM
Reply 9
Original post by mnot
There is a huge misconception about required: predicted grades.

In competitive subjects & schools: Oxbridge, Imperial, UCL, Veterinary, medicine, Law the predicted grades matter as quite a low percentage of students even get 'offers'.

But in average courses, even where the required grades are very competitive its not unusual to have very high offer percentages (often over 70% of candidates may receive an offer, in some Unis/courses over 90% of applicants get offers). What really determines your admittance into Uni is your ability to meet the required grades, this is the true barrier for most courses.

I would also say applicants should be aware that its also become common for Unis to mislead applicants about the required entry criteria, many courses at ex-poly unis for example advertise ABB then take CCC meaning its a joke, I would use whatuni and Unistats to check every application you consider prior to sending it over UCAS.

Also watch this before applying:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qvvF7-5SIJ8
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OdypNNlx1SM

OMGGGG! I can't thank you enough for helping me through this. This is one of the best advice I have received. :smile:
Reply 10
Hey, I was looking to apply for Royal Holloway, I am predicted ACC, currently studying Economics, French and Spanish. I was looking at Business and Management as a course however not sure I would get an offer.
Original post by Kam0511
Hey, I was looking to apply for Royal Holloway, I am predicted ACC, currently studying Economics, French and Spanish. I was looking at Business and Management as a course however not sure I would get an offer.

There's a good chance you would get an offer but the offer will probably be around ABB so make sure you also apply to some unis asking for lower grades
Reply 12
Oh wow! I was thinking i had no chance of a offer. Do you think they would take into account that I'm doing Spanish and French A Levels and Languages are becoming increasingly unpopular. I hope it stands me out. Thanks for the reply!
Original post by Kam0511
Oh wow! I was thinking i had no chance of a offer. Do you think they would take into account that I'm doing Spanish and French A Levels and Languages are becoming increasingly unpopular. I hope it stands me out. Thanks for the reply!

That's ok. According to the UCAS offer calculator you would have more than a 90% chance of getting an offer. The calculator does not guarantee an offer but it gives you an idea that it is likely.

Not sure about the languages element but they will be useful skills to have on your CV and offer a business one day
Reply 14
Yea I took a risk taking two languages at A levels, hopefully it pays off. Also studying Mandarin for two years and I did Latin for 3 years. I guess all this stuff helps for the Personal Statement to help me stand out.
Original post by Kam0511
Yea I took a risk taking two languages at A levels, hopefully it pays off. Also studying Mandarin for two years and I did Latin for 3 years. I guess all this stuff helps for the Personal Statement to help me stand out.

Yes that's right, Good Luck with your application :smile:
Reply 16
That's ok. According to the UCAS offer calculator you would have more than a 90% chance of getting an offer. The calculator does not guarantee an offer but it gives you an idea that it is likely.

Not sure about the languages element but they will be useful skills to have on your CV and offer a business one day

Personally, I wouldn't recommend using the UCAS Calculator because once I used it and all it says is I have a less than 10% chance of an offer even with A* AA predicted grades (I am not getting predicted that btw!)
Original post by khaia
Personally, I wouldn't recommend using the UCAS Calculator because once I used it and all it says is I have a less than 10% chance of an offer even with A* AA predicted grades (I am not getting predicted that btw!)

For what course because for certain courses at certain Unis the chances of getting offers are that low even for people with excellent grades
Reply 18
For what course because for certain courses at certain Unis the chances of getting offers are that low even for people with excellent grades

Accounting and Finance
Original post by khaia
Accounting and Finance

Where?

Quick Reply

Latest