The Student Room Group

How hard is maths A-level?

Struggling with my A-level choices - wondering what maths is like?
If you got an A/A* in GCSE without really trying then with a little effort you could get a B or more.
If you found it difficult in GCSE, then your gonna have to put a lot more effort into A level.
Reply 2
I just finished my A-Levels and I did Maths on the Edexcel exam board. I'd say that it certainly helps if you're naturally quite 'mathematically-minded', which I would suggest could be gauged by how GCSE maths went. It is also pretty demanding, as there are quite a few methods and rules to learn; I found I had to do most, if not all, questions in the textbook to really feel confident with test questions. I was also surprised at how independent the classes were, as I much preferred teaching myself with the textbook rather than listening to my teacher. It's nicer than essay-writing subjects, as you're either right or you're wrong, and there are worked solutions for if you're incorrect (I heard that a maths grade is likely to be ~90% accurately marked, whereas a English grade is ~60%). I found the 'statistics and mechanics' parts the most difficult though, as it's quite a step-up from GCSE unless you did triple science/physics.

If you enjoy puzzles or working things out, or just find maths quite 'fun', I would certainly recommend it; once I understood things and was in the right mindset, I found it my least stressful subject because I could just do practice questions with music or Netflix on in the evenings to help wind-down. I think maths is also regarded as a pretty challenging subject by universities and employers too, so it certainly won't hurt to get even a half-decent grade in it. Hope this helped and good luck with your A-Levels! :smile:
Reply 3
Thanks for your advice. Good luck with whatever you are doing!
Original post by may12388
Struggling with my A-level choices - wondering what maths is like?

A challenging subject what demands your skills more than once to be very good at this level! logical thinking, thinking about solution concepts, understanding, reasoning, just everything.
Ima be real with you chief, I got an A (edexcel)after getting C’s and D’s throughout the whole of year 12 and year 13, but I had to GRIND for that A. A-level maths is hard, if you want an A/A* you need to put in a lot of work. Some questions are incredibly difficult.
Original post by Arifali4
(...) A-level maths is hard, if you want an A/A* you need to put in a lot of work. Some questions are incredibly difficult.

In past and exam papers - especially in exam papers! - they drive you crazy, if you don't get the steps to go in order to solve, if it matters.
Reply 7
Probably not best qualified to give advice here as I'm only in Year 12 doing A Level Maths, but it's not something you should take on lightly. It's a very respected qualification no doubt, but that's because it's hard. Already I can see the big 'step up' from GCSE. Also because of fewer students per class compared to GCSE, lessons (and this is true for all A Levels I imagine) move along at a much quicker pace. That's why it's essential that you're doing questions in your spare time and understanding all the concepts before the exam. Maths is all about building on what you already know.

If you keep on top of everything though then it's not too bad! Nothing like working through a long problem and getting a correct answer :smile: But getting that answer requires a lot of effort and passion for the subject.

It's a useful A level though!
Reply 8
Original post by Racsoix
Probably not best qualified to give advice here as I'm only in Year 12 doing A Level Maths, but it's not something you should take on lightly. It's a very respected qualification no doubt, but that's because it's hard. Already I can see the big 'step up' from GCSE. Also because of fewer students per class compared to GCSE, lessons (and this is true for all A Levels I imagine) move along at a much quicker pace. That's why it's essential that you're doing questions in your spare time and understanding all the concepts before the exam. Maths is all about building on what you already know.

If you keep on top of everything though then it's not too bad! Nothing like working through a long problem and getting a correct answer :smile: But getting that answer requires a lot of effort and passion for the subject.

It's a useful A level though!

Thank you for your tips. I'm also in year 12 too, but have decided to drop maths!
Reply 9
Original post by Arifali4
Ima be real with you chief, I got an A (edexcel)after getting C’s and D’s throughout the whole of year 12 and year 13, but I had to GRIND for that A. A-level maths is hard, if you want an A/A* you need to put in a lot of work. Some questions are incredibly difficult.

Thanks for your opinion!

Quick Reply

Latest