The Student Room Group

Feeling like a failure

I’ve did my GCSE’s in 2018 and only managed to achieve a grade 5 in English language and a grade 4 in English literature so I decided to retake a whole year of gcses.
The second time I only achieved a 4 in biology and a 4 in sociology which if you add that up with my last year grades I only have 4 gcses. I’m getting my physics paper remarked so hopefully I’ll have 5 gcses.
My problem is that i feel so stupid and incompetent. I’m currently doing btec level 3 business which is a really good course but i just wish I did alevels. I understand that alevels aren’t for everybody but I still wish I wasn’t so stupid and passed my gcses. I can’t help but constantly cry all the time and be unhappy because I’m unhappy with how my life is going education wise.
I see all these sixth formers and I always wish that I was one of them but then I realise it will never be me because I’m not academically smart.
I’m aware that I probably sound absolutely stupid right now but I just want to stop feeling depressed 24/7. I understand that with btec level 3 i can still go university and achieve what i want to do in the future but I just wish I did alevels. I feel like I failed my family because they’re all geniuses who did alevels and here’s me the stupid one who couldn’t even pass twice.
I’m sorry you wasted your time reading this I just needed to vent my feelings because I’ve been keeping them in for so long.
Reply 1
:frown:
I know this might not mean much or "fake" but I genuinely believe a person's grades aren't indicative of their intelligence. Failing GCSEs and not taking A Levels doesn't mean you aren't smart you just don't fit with that style of learning and teaching etc.

There's nothing wrong with doing a BTEC, as much as SOME people like to think it is. But I'd just like anyone to think about WHY "failing" educational qualifications are a bad thing. It just means these people don't fit a standard that is *completely* made up. There is no clear definition of intelligence, and there are different kinds of intelligence - why is academic the only one that matters? Because it's favoured by the rich?

You don't have to be academically successful to be worth something. You are so, so much more than your grades.
Original post by hjchicken
I’ve did my GCSE’s in 2018 and only managed to achieve a grade 5 in English language and a grade 4 in English literature so I decided to retake a whole year of gcses.
The second time I only achieved a 4 in biology and a 4 in sociology which if you add that up with my last year grades I only have 4 gcses. I’m getting my physics paper remarked so hopefully I’ll have 5 gcses.
My problem is that i feel so stupid and incompetent. I’m currently doing btec level 3 business which is a really good course but i just wish I did alevels. I understand that alevels aren’t for everybody but I still wish I wasn’t so stupid and passed my gcses. I can’t help but constantly cry all the time and be unhappy because I’m unhappy with how my life is going education wise.
I see all these sixth formers and I always wish that I was one of them but then I realise it will never be me because I’m not academically smart.
I’m aware that I probably sound absolutely stupid right now but I just want to stop feeling depressed 24/7. I understand that with btec level 3 i can still go university and achieve what i want to do in the future but I just wish I did alevels. I feel like I failed my family because they’re all geniuses who did alevels and here’s me the stupid one who couldn’t even pass twice.
I’m sorry you wasted your time reading this I just needed to vent my feelings because I’ve been keeping them in for so long.

everyone has a different life path, different abilities. How much work are you putting into your gcses? How much work are you truly putting into revision? Are you sure that A levels are what you want to do? Is there somewhere you could take a levels with lower entry requirements? could you complete a distance course? Is there something holding you back from maintaining focus whilst studying? do you listen to music? do you study with friends? you have to look at what is right for you and accomodating your own personal boundaries and the things that help you to work.

Have you applied to your local counsil and given them good solid reason to believe that you could do a levels? thats what someone in my school did and they let them in because the school doesnt want to recieve bad feedback, as it will deter other students from being able to attend. One other girl faked that she was going to resit even after she got a 4 and now she is still tudying a levels and doing okay, i know she has a B in biology.

What do you want to do after a levels? apprenteship? university? is there a different path you could take to get there. If youre not happy right now that may also make it difficult to learn. I was clinically depressed during my a levels and it stopped me so now im retaking year 12. let me know x
Reply 4
Original post by asdfgkillmenow
everyone has a different life path, different abilities. How much work are you putting into your gcses? How much work are you truly putting into revision? Are you sure that A levels are what you want to do? Is there somewhere you could take a levels with lower entry requirements? could you complete a distance course? Is there something holding you back from maintaining focus whilst studying? do you listen to music? do you study with friends? you have to look at what is right for you and accomodating your own personal boundaries and the things that help you to work.

Have you applied to your local counsil and given them good solid reason to believe that you could do a levels? thats what someone in my school did and they let them in because the school doesnt want to recieve bad feedback, as it will deter other students from being able to attend. One other girl faked that she was going to resit even after she got a 4 and now she is still tudying a levels and doing okay, i know she has a B in biology.

What do you want to do after a levels? apprenteship? university? is there a different path you could take to get there. If youre not happy right now that may also make it difficult to learn. I was clinically depressed during my a levels and it stopped me so now im retaking year 12. let me know x

I hope to go uni after my course. I don’t think going to the local council will do anything tbh coz my college didn’t let people with 7 gcses in and I’m afraid that my college won’t let me in after I go to the council and that I’ll end up embarrassing myself.
My teachers always told me that I’d would get such good grades if I put more effort in but I’m just so lazy.
Reply 5

GCSEs and A-Levels can be very theoretical/academic. A lot of people would argue that they are not fit for purpose as training for a future career too. You might just not be suited to this style of learning, which absolutely does not make you a failure. Actually, the system is probably failing you, not the other way around.

Some people just aren't academic but it doesn't mean that they're not bright and there are countless examples of successful people who did not achieve much at school. You might, for example, find that professional qualifications are more suitable for you. Lots of academic types take qualifications like ACCA and CILEx every year and fail whilst others with barely a qualification to their name pass. Or you might just find your not great at exams but thrive in the workplace anyway.

Also, if academia is your bag, then one of the interesting things about university is that learning there is very, very different to GCSEs and A-Levels and people can suddenly improve significantly or go the other way. That is probably why Queen Mary has a higher dropout rate than Leeds Beckett and why more generally people with the grades to go to a Russell Group university are just as likely to drop out as those who go to lower ranked universities.

One caveat to all of this is that you really must get your mathematics GCSE at grade 4 or above. That one's important, the rest less so.
Reply 6
Original post by Daenni193
I know this might not mean much or "fake" but I genuinely believe a person's grades aren't indicative of their intelligence. Failing GCSEs and not taking A Levels doesn't mean you aren't smart you just don't fit with that style of learning and teaching etc.

There's nothing wrong with doing a BTEC, as much as SOME people like to think it is. But I'd just like anyone to think about WHY "failing" educational qualifications are a bad thing. It just means these people don't fit a standard that is *completely* made up. There is no clear definition of intelligence, and there are different kinds of intelligence - why is academic the only one that matters? Because it's favoured by the rich?

You don't have to be academically successful to be worth something. You are so, so much more than your grades.

This was so nice to hear. I think in 2 years time when I get my btec results I’ll probably look back at myself and wonder why I cried so much. I think it’s because my whole life I was told that you’ll only succeed in life if you do alevels and Btecs are for stupid people. I just need to get rid these negative thoughts.
This was so nice to hear. I think in 2 years time when I get my btec results I’ll probably look back at myself and wonder why I cried so much. I think it’s because my whole life I was told that you’ll only succeed in life if you do alevels and Btecs are for stupid people. I just need to get rid these negative thoughts.

Yeah :smile: feeling upset about this is perfectly natural/normal. I think most people, including myself, fall into the trap of thinking academic success is the be-all and end-all, so when things don't go as expected it can seem like your whole life is over. But it's not, life does go on and people adapt. There's more than one path in life and you have loads of options aside from the traditional GCSEs -> A Levels -> Degree route
You're not a failure, and no everyone has to take A-levels to be considered a success, it's just probably the more traditional route.

Not sure if it'll make you feel better but I completely bombed both of my GCSE's and A-levels but I'm still at a pretty decent uni studying what I've always wanted to, and so could you!
Reply 9

A BTEC Level 3 in business is great!! I did my GCSEs, A levels and did nothing with them! It was only when I did my Health and social care NVQ that I did some thing with them and now am in my final year of uni doing a course I love, on my way to doing a job I love. My GCSEs and A levels seemed like such a big deal at the time but I realise now they really weren't. My point is you will find the right path for you and neither is more valuable than the other, but if it doesnt take you to where you want to be then it's a waste of time. Your Buisness NVQ is very valuable and will give you loads of transferable skills and real world experiance (have you thought about doing an internship?).Remember, focus on you goals in life and dont worry about the path you take to get there, check out the career page on UCAS for inspiration https://www.ucas.com/job-subjects/business-studies. Good Luck for the future you have an exciting life ahead of you!!
Reply 10
Original post by LouLou89
A BTEC Level 3 in business is great!! I did my GCSEs, A levels and did nothing with them! It was only when I did my Health and social care NVQ that I did some thing with them and now am in my final year of uni doing a course I love, on my way to doing a job I love. My GCSEs and A levels seemed like such a big deal at the time but I realise now they really weren't. My point is you will find the right path for you and neither is more valuable than the other, but if it doesnt take you to where you want to be then it's a waste of time. Your Buisness NVQ is very valuable and will give you loads of transferable skills and real world experiance (have you thought about doing an internship?).Remember, focus on you goals in life and dont worry about the path you take to get there, check out the career page on UCAS for inspiration https://www.ucas.com/job-subjects/business-studies. Good Luck for the future you have an exciting life ahead of you!!

This was super useful and helpful. Thank you for taking time out of your day for me I really appreciate it ❤️
Reply 11

I'm probably just saying something you've already heard here, but keep trying!! I know it seems so pointless sometimes because you revise so much and don't see any results. Trust me I know, I had to resit my GCSE maths 3 or 4 times before I even passed, eventually I got a C (not great but the best i could do after 3 years of trying) I got a tutor and that helped loads, you should look into getting one if you haven't already. Try apps like Quizlet to help you revise and Flora to help you focus. Hard work does pay off eventually, i did A levels in the end and I'm just about to start University. Also don't worry if you can't do it!! Nobody has asked me about what i got in my GCSEs ever besides when i applied to uni. And nobody cares if you did A levels or not, trust me, nobody's perception of you is going to change based on whether or not you did A levles. And don't worry about disappointing your family, as long as they know you tried your hardest they shouldn't care about your grades. YOU ARE NOT YOUR GRADES!!!!!!!!!!!!
P.S A levels are a pain in the arse and really not worth the stress
Reply 12
Original post by Aucu
I'm probably just saying something you've already heard here, but keep trying!! I know it seems so pointless sometimes because you revise so much and don't see any results. Trust me I know, I had to resit my GCSE maths 3 or 4 times before I even passed, eventually I got a C (not great but the best i could do after 3 years of trying) I got a tutor and that helped loads, you should look into getting one if you haven't already. Try apps like Quizlet to help you revise and Flora to help you focus. Hard work does pay off eventually, i did A levels in the end and I'm just about to start University. Also don't worry if you can't do it!! Nobody has asked me about what i got in my GCSEs ever besides when i applied to uni. And nobody cares if you did A levels or not, trust me, nobody's perception of you is going to change based on whether or not you did A levles. And don't worry about disappointing your family, as long as they know you tried your hardest they shouldn't care about your grades. YOU ARE NOT YOUR GRADES!!!!!!!!!!!!
P.S A levels are a pain in the arse and really not worth the stress

Yeah I should probably get a tutor so I don’t end up doing maths a million times! I guess I’m so frustrated but that won’t stop me from trying. I wish you the best in university thank you so much ❤️

it's okay to vent. Some careers actually prefer b techs and they are the same level as a levels. Feel free to chat to me if you feel low
Reply 14
The A level route isn't for everyone it's fine to do BTEC's.

Let me tell you my story:
I did my GCSE's in 2016 got 6B's and 4C's so 10 GCSE's in total then went on to study 4 A levels Biology, Chemistry, Physics and Maths did absolutely terrible ended up with U grades failed the entire year. I choose those subjects because they were respected not because I liked them and also I wasn't very good in exams.

I then started sixth form again in 2017 with BTEC Business and BTEC IT got D*D* in Business and D* in IT because coursework was my strength. I got into a good Uni with my BTEC's and now in the first year of my Business Management degree.

It's better to do subjects you can achieve a good grade in rather then regretting later. BTEC's are accepted by universities it does depend on the uni and course but most accept them. I don't understand why people make such a big deal out of A levels it isn't the end of the world if you have BTEC qualifications their are plenty of universities, jobs, apprenticeships out there which accept them.
Reply 15
I didn’t get the physics remark I feel like a whole ass flop I hate myself

focus on you. life isnt a race too see who can get a job first or make there first 10,000. Just think its about you and who cares about the other people. Thinking about them wont help you. Do the best you can right now and work with what you got. I believe in you you got this! <3
Reply 17
I don’t know if people still keep up with this thread but I’m gonna vent again:

Despite the fact that I posted this a month ago I still feel exactly the same. I’m a month into my course and it’s a lot harder than I expected. I’m always going my coursework late due to lack of motivation. If I keep working at the rate I’m working at I’m gonna fail this course. I’m just really unhappy and wish my life turned out the way I wanted it to. Nothing ever goes my way. I just want 1 nice thing! I don’t see myself getting happier anytime soon. Sorry for the venting again lol.
Reply 18
:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest