The Student Room Group

Is taking 5 A levels a good idea?

Hi.
So I'm 2 weeks in to my a levels and have been really wanting to do art as I did it at GCSE and really enjoy it. However it's not one of my 4 options. I've thought about dropping one of my 4 a levels and changing it to art, however I enjoy all of them and dont know whether i should take on 5 ?

I'm doing:
Psychology,sociology,RE and law.

I hope you can help me and give me some advice I will appreciate it!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Xoxoxoxxoxxo
Hi.
So I'm 2 weeks in to my a levels and have been really wanting to do art as I did it at GCSE and really enjoy it. However it's not one of my 4 options. I've thought about dropping one of my 4 a levels and changing it to art, however I enjoy all of them and dont know whether i should take on 5 ?

I'm doing:
Phsychology,sociology,RE and law.

No need. Unis only want 3. And a levels are not like GCSES, they are hard and you won’t survive 5 A levels unless you’re super intelligent
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by RoughHead
No need. Unis only want 3. And a levels are not like GCSES, they are hard and you won’t survive 5 A levels unless you’re super intelligent

3 A* looks better than 3A* and a B
Get where I am coming from ?
Just do 3.
Reply 3
Original post by Xoxoxoxxoxxo
Hi.

I'm doing:
Phsychology,sociology,RE and law.

Unless you want to pursue a career in Art do not go near Art. Coursework is huge and very time consuming. Doing 4 A levels is fine and it is rubbish to say A, A*A* is better than A*A*A*B.
Original post by Scotney
Unless you want to pursue a career in Art do not go near Art. Coursework is huge and very time consuming. Doing 4 A levels is fine and it is rubbish to say A, A*A* is better than A*A*A*B.

I said 3 A* looks better than 3A* and a B

Not "A, A*A* is better than A*A*A*B."
5 is stupid
I would say go for the 3 you need most for uni.
If you're unsure your probably gonna drop one and waste time anyways.

But why spend the time doing 4 A levels when you can commit to doing 3.
Unless you know you're going to get As and above in them don't do 4 go for 3.
Reply 5
Original post by ToysAreUs

5 is stupid

Big generalisations going on above. Son took 4 A levels as needed A*AA for Biology at Oxford but knew he was unlikely to land an A in Chemistry while feeling it was essential for his future degree. History delivered needed A as planned. OP can also drop one later if necessary. And yes he did get a B in Chem but Oxford did not mind!
Original post by ToysAreUs

5 is stupid

Thanks for the reply, I was going to do an as in one of them and then maybe carry the other 4 on but I think I'm just going to stick with the 4 I'm doing.

Quick Reply

Latest