The Student Room Group

Dundee A100 2020 Entry

Welcome to the University of Dundee A100 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.dundee.ac.uk/study/ug/medicine/

For entry requirements click: https://www.dundee.ac.uk/study/ug/medicine/#info-entry-requirements

Dundee A100 2020 Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6366622

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Original post by loneranger1011
Guys i got an offer international student

Hey, can u share your grades too? I will be applying for 2020 intake as an international student.
Hi I achieved a ukcat score of 2740 but recieved a Band 3. Is it possible to still be considered by dundee uni. I recieved my 5As at higher so it is the band 3 that worries me.
I’m applying for medicine at dundee but i’m not sure if they require work experience or not. I don’t have any, so basically if they do i’m ****ed lol.
Original post by bulbasaur55
I’m applying for medicine at dundee but i’m not sure if they require work experience or not. I don’t have any, so basically if they do i’m ****ed lol.

All medical schools require work experience or at least volunteering experience in a care setting:

Work Experience is important when applying for medical school to show you are committed to this career. MedSchools Online also provides information on work experience which medical schools are looking for. Remember: it is what you learn about yourself, about other people and about how effective care is delivered and received that counts, not what you did. What you did is only half the story: make sure you show us what attributes you demonstrated and what you learned.

https://www.dundee.ac.uk/careers/subjects/medicine/

so i shouldn’t apply to dundee?

If you don't have any work experience or volunteering at all then that's going to be a problem for all medical schools.

Why don't you tell us what you've done so far so we can give you some more specific advice?

Dundee is a particularly good uni for medicine. your application doesn't sound competitive for any without work experience.
Original post by Democracy
If you don't have any work experience or volunteering at all then that's going to be a problem for all medical schools.

Why don't you tell us what you've done so far so we can give you some more specific advice?

i’m volunteering at a hospital cafe, i’ve coached young kids, helped out at children’s sports events, etc, my problem is that I can’t find any experience in actual medical settings, not from lack of trying.
i’m volunteering at a hospital cafe, i’ve coached young kids, helped out at children’s sports events, etc, my problem is that I can’t find any experience in actual medical settings, not from lack of trying.

If you can talk about the skills of being a doctor from your work and reflect on them it could be ok so long as there is no officially stated required clinical experience although this isn’t too common as it is known to be hard . You could try and volunteer in a care home if you want something medically related and then perhaps reflect on what you’ve done and maybe see if you could ask a doctor about their job or look through the internet for things like that ( not ideal but if you can reflect on your other stuff could be ok)
Cafe: commitment, talking to a wide range of people, managing time, seeing unwell people so having some idea of the challenges, teamwork
Coaching: teaching, responsibility, communication, leading
Do you have any personal experiences or anything else that could add value too?
Original post by DGeorge13
If you can talk about the skills of being a doctor from your work and reflect on them it could be ok so long as there is no officially stated required clinical experience although this isn’t too common as it is known to be hard . You could try and volunteer in a care home if you want something medically related and then perhaps reflect on what you’ve done and maybe see if you could ask a doctor about their job or look through the internet for things like that ( not ideal but if you can reflect on your other stuff could be ok)
Cafe: commitment, talking to a wide range of people, managing time, seeing unwell people so having some idea of the challenges, teamwork
Coaching: teaching, responsibility, communication, leading
Do you have any personal experiences or anything else that could add value too?

I’ve been considering finding a care home to volunteer at, but i’m not sure if i have enough time and it’s pushing it quite close to the medicine application deadline. Is it worth it? Especially because I’d probably have to continue volunteering there for a while and with school and stuff it would be stressful. As Dundee specifies for a ‘care’ setting does that mean I would need to do a care home or something similar since I haven’t got any care experience?
I’ve been considering finding a care home to volunteer at, but i’m not sure if i have enough time and it’s pushing it quite close to the medicine application deadline. Is it worth it? Especially because I’d probably have to continue volunteering there for a while and with school and stuff it would be stressful. As Dundee specifies for a ‘care’ setting does that mean I would need to do a care home or something similar since I haven’t got any care experience?

Possibly. Also personally I am carrying on with my volunteering in yr 13 as I don’t find it too stressful and actually enjoy it - if you start now you could get at least 2-5 months in by your interview

I mean, the most important thing is to be able to link your experiences back to why it's helped you make up your mind to do medicine. If you can do that, then great but be wary of making tenuous links.

Your shadowing doesn't necessarily have to be in a medical environment as universities are aware this can be difficult to arrange. It's often easier to gain experience within a care setting. You can certainly try applying with the experiences you already have, but if you don't get an offer and you're re-applying next year, it would be advisable to arrange some more relevant medical or healthcare related experience.
Original post by anon56781
Hi I achieved a ukcat score of 2740 but recieved a Band 3. Is it possible to still be considered by dundee uni. I recieved my 5As at higher so it is the band 3 that worries me.

Hi @anon56781

Thanks for getting in touch!

We do not have a cut off for the UCAT and consider everybody who applies to us. We do advise applicants to aim high, as generally speaking we make offers to those who have above average UCAT scores. At present we do not use the Situational Judgement Test to select for interview; however, Band 4 may affect the decision on whether or not to make an offer.

If you have any further questions please do not hesitate to get in touch with our Enquiry Team on 01382 383838 or [email protected]

Thanks!

Kathryn :smile:

Hi @bulbasaur55

Thanks for getting in touch!

Relevant work experience is also essential part of your applications to Medicine. We encourage up to two weeks of medically-related work or shadowing experience. We also look at extra-curricular activities, such as sports, hobbies, part-time work, volunteering, etc. which can demonstrate high motivation, commitment, social contribution, and strong communication and leadership skills.

If you would like to get in touch with us to check out any other questions you may have you can contact our Enquiry Team on 01382 383838 or [email protected]

Thanks!
Kathryn :smile:
I am international, from Singapore. May I know what is the minimum ukcat score for year of entry 2019 for international student? Thank U.

Hey there!
I am unsure if this is the current process for the applications at Dundee, however I know when I applied to Dundee they require you to state how much work experience and voluntary experience you had in a separate form. Now, I know that sounds perhaps a little intimidating, but my understanding is that it is used as some people may not have as the same access or opportunity to work experience as others. Dundee, like most medical schools, really and truly care that you have a realistic view of what medicine is like as a profession. I would still recommend that you volunteer at a care home or try and get something else, but providing you can demonstrate you don't have a bleary eyed view of what medicine is like, that is the most important factor.
I see that the official Dundee rep has also responded to you, so also go with their advice as well!

Best of luck with your application
Original post by .S.K.T.
Hey there!
I am unsure if this is the current process for the applications at Dundee, however I know when I applied to Dundee they require you to state how much work experience and voluntary experience you had in a separate form. Now, I know that sounds perhaps a little intimidating, but my understanding is that it is used as some people may not have as the same access or opportunity to work experience as others. Dundee, like most medical schools, really and truly care that you have a realistic view of what medicine is like as a profession. I would still recommend that you volunteer at a care home or try and get something else, but providing you can demonstrate you don't have a bleary eyed view of what medicine is like, that is the most important factor.
I see that the official Dundee rep has also responded to you, so also go with their advice as well!

Best of luck with your application

thank you! if i manage to get care home experience do dundee require me to write about it on my personal statement? i’m afraid i might not get it before the application deadline
Reply 18
Hi I am trying to find out whether to apply to Dundee. Would it be possible to qualify with a UCAT of 2630 to be invited to interview? Grades are perfect. Will grades be weighted 60% and UCAT 40% and how many percentile bands might there be for each (or do they use the actual grades/UCAT results rather than rearranging the data into bands)? The only info I could find so far is that in 2016 the average UCAT of applicants invited to interview was 2740 and that about 40 percent of applicants are invited to interview. I hope they don't use bands... Don't know why unis make these transformations which make them lose info...
Original post by Mom2
Hi I am trying to find out whether to apply to Dundee. Would it be possible to qualify with a UCAT of 2630 to be invited to interview? Grades are perfect. Will grades be weighted 60% and UCAT 40% and how many percentile bands might there be for each (or do they use the actual grades/UCAT results rather than rearranging the data into bands)? The only info I could find so far is that in 2016 the average UCAT of applicants invited to interview was 2740 and that about 40 percent of applicants are invited to interview. I hope they don't use bands... Don't know why unis make these transformations which make them lose info...

Hello there!

I thought I would add my two cent to this. I am a current final year medic at Dundee. My understanding is that a score of 2630 should hopefully be enough to get an interview at Dundee. My understanding Dundee will employ a decile system for academics and UCAT score, with a weighting of 60% academics to 40% UCAT, which is then used to invite candidates for interview. From personal experience the lowest score I am aware of in my year is around the 650 mark, however, this was 6 years ago, and there may indeed be scores lower than this that I am not aware of. I believe that Dundee could be applied to with a UCAT of this score, as Dundee does not use the UCAT after interview, which I believe the other Scottish universities do, or are at least heavier in their selection with the UCAT

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending