The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sweetietweetie
omg literally so helpful, yeah im doing october and that ultimate bmat guide, i've heard that a lot of people swear by it so i'm going to get it!
bruh you DEFO worked hard for it so you deserve it, well done! you've proper given me some motivation and a kick up the backside, rlly appreciate it!
section 1 must be your bestie because i've never heard ppl having time left over on it looool

i honestly found the 700q was the best, also unlike the ucat- books are better for the bmat bc its a paper exam- it took me more time than i wantd to get started- i certainly dont envy you trying to do it with schoolwork!i found loads of people saying that its very hard to improve your bmat score - again i started out 5.9 in my first two goes and then my last couple papers were all above 8, i hit a big spike about four days pre exam, so i certainly dont think thats true. can you access the section 2 gudes, you have to make an account but its free- its super super useful. good luck!! remember it will be worth it later!!!
Original post by MankyShoe
i honestly found the 700q was the best, also unlike the ucat- books are better for the bmat bc its a paper exam- it took me more time than i wantd to get started- i certainly dont envy you trying to do it with schoolwork!i found loads of people saying that its very hard to improve your bmat score - again i started out 5.9 in my first two goes and then my last couple papers were all above 8, i hit a big spike about four days pre exam, so i certainly dont think thats true. can you access the section 2 gudes, you have to make an account but its free- its super super useful. good luck!! remember it will be worth it later!!!

AMAZING SCORE!!!!!
Mine is in october and I am totally dreading it....I have been putting in a lot of work but i am NOT improving:frown:
Also which colleges are you guys thinking of....i am so stuck!!
I am deciding between Downing or St johns!
This is for Cambridge btw
Original post by davidthomasjnr
You need to declare that, otherwise they can reject you, even if you get offered a place and they find out later.

but why? If they ask me then I will tell them but if they don't ask then I will not reveal anything. It's not written anywhere that you can't apply/get an offer if you are currently in University.
Discussion of other social media groups and links to them on tsr is against tsr rules
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 44
Hi does anyone know whether the personal statement has an impact on interview chances at Cambridge? my daughter has written hers, it's mostly about her work experience--there is only one paragraph on academics (her independent work for the IB). should she spend the time to revise it? for the other unis she is applying to--Cardiff and Leeds--the PS seems fine as is. thanks!
Original post by Mom2
Hi does anyone know whether the personal statement has an impact on interview chances at Cambridge? my daughter has written hers, it's mostly about her work experience--there is only one paragraph on academics (her independent work for the IB). should she spend the time to revise it? for the other unis she is applying to--Cardiff and Leeds--the PS seems fine as is. thanks!

I don’t really think that ps is that important for Cambridge interview. I think academic grades and bmat are probably more important (but its dependent on the college).

Which colleges are people choosing? And how are you choosing them?
Reply 46
Original post by Dr. Doc Thor
I don’t really think that ps is that important for Cambridge interview. I think academic grades and bmat are probably more important (but its dependent on the college).

Which colleges are people choosing? And how are you choosing them?

Thanks. My daughter is studying the IB and does not have GCSEs. Oxford seems to take into account only BMATs in extending interviews when there are no GCSEs and as she has excellent predicted grades this means Cambridge is a less risky bet. A bit concerned about the low student satisfaction and how college rape is handled.

Completely new at this, from outside the UK and only looked at a few colleges, but for what it's worth, Clare and Newnham seem nice--based on facilities, location and supporting environment. I read that you should not pick your college based on the supervisors who live there, as the colleges arrange supervision with supervisors coming from other colleges. Would love your views on this.
Are there any particularly BMAT heavy colleges? I am confident that I can score 7+ in sections 1 & 2 of the BMAT, but at GCSE I only got 3 A*, 5 As and 3 Bs so not very confident of even receiving an interview (i was super lazy when i did my GCSEs and didn't work hard enough, evidently :/ ). I picked it up for AS levels and got AAAB (B in further maths, As in chem, maths, bio). Any chance of an interview if i apply strategically to a BMAT heavy college?

Any reply is much appreciated, thank you very much!
Reply 48
Original post by MedicPls
Are there any particularly BMAT heavy colleges? I am confident that I can score 7+ in sections 1 & 2 of the BMAT, but at GCSE I only got 3 A*, 5 As and 3 Bs so not very confident of even receiving an interview (i was super lazy when i did my GCSEs and didn't work hard enough, evidently :/ ). I picked it up for AS levels and got AAAB (B in further maths, As in chem, maths, bio). Any chance of an interview if i apply strategically to a BMAT heavy college?

Any reply is much appreciated, thank you very much!

Brighton? They select based on BMAT for interview and have low entry standards.
Original post by Mom2
Brighton? They select based on BMAT for interview and have low entry standards.

I mean a cambridge college rather than a separate uni, but thank you :smile:
Original post by MedicPls
I mean a cambridge college rather than a separate uni, but thank you :smile:

Tbh most colleges are similarly bmat heavy so in that respect it doesn’t really matter
At interview are you expected to know the entire a level courses you’re taking? Because I’m worried they may ask a question relating to a topic we haven’t covered yet.(if I get an interview(unlikely))
Original post by Sososnake
At interview are you expected to know the entire a level courses you’re taking? Because I’m worried they may ask a question relating to a topic we haven’t covered yet.(if I get an interview(unlikely))

Don’t Cambridge interview a v high proportion of candidates? I think it’s Oxford who are v selective w their interviews.
Original post by 10oba-abbad
Don’t Cambridge interview a v high proportion of candidates? I think it’s Oxford who are v selective w their interviews.

Some colleges interview more than others but usually its above 50%, but do you know if you need to know more than AS/ first half of A2
Some colleges interview more than others but usually its above 50%, but do you know if you need to know more than AS/ first half of A2

You don't need to know more content than what you already have already been taught
Original post by StudentOnTheRoom
You don't need to know more content than what you already have already been taught

But how will they know how much I’ve been taught? By interview season we will not even be halfway through A2 biology and chemistry
But how will they know how much I’ve been taught? By interview season we will not even be halfway through A2 biology and chemistry

When u fill out the SAQ they will ask which topics u have covered by interview
Original post by Dr. Doc Thor
When u fill out the SAQ they will ask which topics u have covered by interview

Really? That’s great thank you so much for answering 😁

Everyone has this problem, but nobody learns all the A2 biology (or chemistry) content just for interviews. They will suss out how experienced you are with a topic when they ask you questions, or if it isn't obvious at all, just say "we haven't covered this yet, but..." and then try give an answer. The guy above says you include it in your SAQ, so look into that. At Oxford there is no SAQ and they manage just fine there, so don't worry either way.
Reply 59
Hi what Bmat score did you get I have 9 a* GCSEs and I am predicting 3 x A* alevels however scored a 5.1 in my Bmat Thanks

Latest

Trending

Trending