The Student Room Group

Sheffield A101 2020 Entry

Welcome to the University of Sheffield A101 2020 Entry Discussion.

For general information click: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying

For entry requirements click: https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/graduateentry

Sheffield Medicine 2020 Offer Holders thread: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6360380

General TSR rules:
(1) Please don't ask for or post group chat links.
(2) Please don't ask for or post interview questions.
(3) Please don't offer to buy and sell items.

Good luck!

Post originally created by ecolier.
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi, I’m wondering if anyone knows if your SJT score for UCAT is added to your interview score for graduate entry medicine (so classes as a 9th MMI station)? Or is it just for undergraduate that they do that?
Original post by ambercairney
Hi, I’m wondering if anyone knows if your SJT score for UCAT is added to your interview score for graduate entry medicine (so classes as a 9th MMI station)? Or is it just for undergraduate that they do that?

They do assess SJT score as a silent station.
And here we go again... rejected post interview last year (but was on the reserve list). Really hope I get a place this year!
Does anyone know what the cut-off average UCAT score was last year for those who were invited to interviews? Also is the SJT assessed like B1 given say 3 points, B2 given 2, B3 given 1 and 0 for B4?
Reply 5
Original post by Cellular-Suicide
Does anyone know what the cut-off average UCAT score was last year for those who were invited to interviews? Also is the SJT assessed like B1 given say 3 points, B2 given 2, B3 given 1 and 0 for B4?

I believe the UCAT cut off was 2470 for 2019 entry and now has been reduced to 2420 for 2020 entry. All applicants who met the minimum entry requirements last year were invited to interview. SJT is assessed as an extra station at interview. All stations are out of 5 marks so Band 1 = 5/5, Band 2 = 4/5, Band 3 = 3/5 and Band 4 = 2/5.

Further details can be found at https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/whathappens
(edited 4 years ago)
I believe the UCAT cut off was 2470 for 2019 entry and now has been reduced to 2420 for 2020 entry. All applicants who met the minimum entry requirements last year were invited to interview. SJT is assessed as an extra station at interview. All stations are out of 5 marks so Band 1 = 5/5, Band 2 = 4/5, Band 3 = 3/5 and Band 4 = 2/5.

Further details can be found at https://www.sheffield.ac.uk/medicine/prospective_ug/applying/whathappens

Ah thank you so much! Just sat my UCAT and was skeptical if it was above or not, thankfully it is haha
Reply 7
Would love to get some guidance on the following. I know A101 at Sheffield is open for Widening applicants from "Home". It says "international" students aren't accepted, but nothing about "EU" students. Now usually on University websites its written as Home/EU for fees etc, wondering if its the same here and I would be able to apply as an EU student? Thanks !
Original post by sigoe1
Would love to get some guidance on the following. I know A101 at Sheffield is open for Widening applicants from "Home". It says "international" students aren't accepted, but nothing about "EU" students. Now usually on University websites its written as Home/EU for fees etc, wondering if its the same here and I would be able to apply as an EU student? Thanks !

Hey, I am pretty sure EU students are counted as international. Home students are students from the UK only.
Reply 9
Do you guys think I should apply here?
2560 UCAT Band 1, computer crashed mid-exam and UCAS have put a note on my score
A levels ACCC Arabic, Human bio, Chem, Maths
Degree: 1st in Biomedical Science
Original post by Ali Alt
Do you guys think I should apply here?
2560 UCAT Band 1, computer crashed mid-exam and UCAS have put a note on my score
A levels ACCC Arabic, Human bio, Chem, Maths
Degree: 1st in Biomedical Science

Sheffield require a minimum of BBB at A level for their graduate entry programme
Reply 11
Sheffield require a minimum of BBB at A level for their graduate entry programme

OK thanks for the heads up
Hi, does anyone know how the admissions team check your POLAR3/4 quintile for widening participation because the data on this website (linked in their widening participation form) https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk/data-and-analysis/young-participation-by-area/young-participation-by-postcode/ is as of 2018 and I did my A levels in 2017 so wondering how that works?
Reply 13
Original post by ingriddracula
Hi, does anyone know how the admissions team check your POLAR3/4 quintile for widening participation because the data on this website (linked in their widening participation form) https://www.officeforstudents.org.uk/data-and-analysis/young-participation-by-area/young-participation-by-postcode/ is as of 2018 and I did my A levels in 2017 so wondering how that works?

Hi, I sent an email about this too. I think the way it works is that you put down the post code you lived at when you completed your a-levels and then they will use the most recent statistics (i.e. for 2018 POLAR3/4 data) to confirm if you meet the criteria. I was confused about this too, though it meant they would use the statistic that applied at the time you lived there :smile:
Original post by mxrys
Hi, I sent an email about this too. I think the way it works is that you put down the post code you lived at when you completed your a-levels and then they will use the most recent statistics (i.e. for 2018 POLAR3/4 data) to confirm if you meet the criteria. I was confused about this too, though it meant they would use the statistic that applied at the time you lived there :smile:

Ah fab that makes it much clearer, thanks for the reply :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Aw, good luck to y'all applying this year! :h:
Does anyone know if it's a bad idea to apply to both the grad and undergrad together?
Original post by Cellular-Suicide
Does anyone know if it's a bad idea to apply to both the grad and undergrad together?

I’m doing the same, can’t think of any reason why it would be a bad idea
Hey guys, I got a dreadful score of 2270 in my UCAT due to loads of issues at home and a migraine during the exam, but I meet widening participation criteria and have ABB a levels, 12 A*-A GCSE’s. Also predicted a first in my degree - applied medical sciences. I was wondering if it’s still worth applying for Sheffield with a UCAT score that low, even though I’ve filled in a disrupted studies form. I thought they may not even consider my score even with disrupted studies. What do you all think? Will they give me benefit of the doubt as I meet all other academic criteria. Thanks I’m advance
Original post by laurynlouise
Hey guys, I got a dreadful score of 2270 in my UCAT due to loads of issues at home and a migraine during the exam, but I meet widening participation criteria and have ABB a levels, 12 A*-A GCSE’s. Also predicted a first in my degree - applied medical sciences. I was wondering if it’s still worth applying for Sheffield with a UCAT score that low, even though I’ve filled in a disrupted studies form. I thought they may not even consider my score even with disrupted studies. What do you all think? Will they give me benefit of the doubt as I meet all other academic criteria. Thanks I’m advance

You can email them, the worst they can do is say no!

However, I didn't fulfill the A level requirements due to illness and they said they wouldn't consider my application, even with a disrupted studies form and medical evidence. I had to do three more A levels last year to meet the requirements! Based on my experience, I think you will need just try again next year - but there's no harm in asking.

Latest

Trending

Trending