The Student Room Group

Dentistry 2020 Entry - Scotland

I want to do Dentistry at either Glasgow (preferably) or Dundee. I got 5As in my highers (Chem, Human Bio, Maths, English and Business) and I am currently doing Advanced Higher Chemistry, Biology and Maths. I just did my UCAT test and got a score of 2610 (653 average) and a Band 2 in SJT. Do i have a chance in getting in? Does my ucat make the cut off scores for both unis? Also is anyone else wanting to apply to these unis for Dentistry?
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think you do have a chance of getting in I'm either or tbh, don't lose hope but put good back up choices just in case. I didn't get a really good ucat score (lower than yours) but I got all As, I'm not giving up I'm still applying. As I say, don't be discouraged by that and give it a chance...wish you the best!!!! xx
Reply 2
Original post by cruzmz007
I think you do have a chance of getting in I'm either or tbh, don't lose hope but put good back up choices just in case. I didn't get a really good ucat score (lower than yours) but I got all As, I'm not giving up I'm still applying. As I say, don't be discouraged by that and give it a chance...wish you the best!!!! xx

Thank you xx Good luck to you as well! Don't worry, as long you have around the average, you should be fine and if not your grades will help you i'm sure :smile:
I want to go to Dundee too for Dentistry, I have predicted As in all my subjects but got a UCAT score of 2440. I thought that was ok but now I'm really not that sure anymore...would I still have a chance at dentistry?
Reply 4
Original post by Delvit George
I want to go to Dundee too for Dentistry, I have predicted As in all my subjects but got a UCAT score of 2440. I thought that was ok but now I'm really not that sure anymore...would I still have a chance at dentistry?

Predicted A’s in Advanced Highers? Ive heard Dundee aren’t as strict on the ucat I think but their cut off was around 2500 last year but I’m sure they still will consider your application if you have the grades and a good personal statement with work experience because your ucat score is not bad at all!
Reply 5
Hey I am taking a gap year right now and re-applying to dentistry. I got a low ucat score of 2430, Band 1 STJ. My grades are 5As 1B at higher and 2As Adv Higher. I am going to apply to Dundee and maybe some uni's in England. I am unsure if I should apply to Glasgow as my ucat will be below average?
Hey, I got 5As in my highers (maths,eng,bio,chem,french) and my ucat is 2470 with Band 2 situational. I've applied to Glasgow, Dundee, Newcastle and Manchester (backup - oral health gcu). Currently unsure if I have made the correct choices as my ucat is on the lower side. :confused::confused:
Reply 7
Anyone heard back from glasgow or dundee for dentistry interviews? I've heard dundee have been giving out rejections but i'm not sure.
Original post by aliisha123
Anyone heard back from glasgow or dundee for dentistry interviews? I've heard dundee have been giving out rejections but i'm not sure.

Ive not heard anything from either, just acknowledgements and I keep refreshing my emails😂 Trying not to think about it tbh.
Hello I’m a first year at Glasgow. I got offers from Glasgow and Dundee last year so know the application process well. I’d say OP won’t have a problem getting an interview with those credentials. Happy to answer any questions you might have!
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
Original post by Joviality
Hello I’m a first year at Glasgow. I got offers from Glasgow and Dundee last year so know the application process well. I’d say OP won’t have a problem getting an interview with those credentials. Happy to answer any questions you might have!

Thanks for the reply! I was wondering what the interviews are like for Dundee and Glasgow as I’m not certain on what to expect and also when abouts did you receive interview invite as they haven’t sent anything yet.
Reply 11
Just got an interview for Dundee! Anyone else heard back yet?
Thanks for the reply! I was wondering what the interviews are like for Dundee and Glasgow as I’m not certain on what to expect and also when abouts did you receive interview invite as they haven’t sent anything yet.

No worries! I can't go into specifics about the interviews but I remember Dundee was much more role-play type scenarios like "your friend tells you she's plagiarised an essay please speak to her about it" things like that. There were also some stations where you had to work with another person in order to complete tasks and they would grade you on how well you communicated etc. Glasgow had some totally bizarre stations that you literally could not have prepared for, so my advice for those is stay calm, keep a smile on your face and take as long as you need to answer the question. Also - if you don't understand a question there is nothing wrong with asking them to repeat/rephrase it. You won't get penalised for that but you will get penalised if you rush in and answer something incorrectly because you didn't understand!

I think I got my invitation for Dundee around this time and I want to say late November/early December for Glasgow. Don't panic though if you don't have one I'm fairly certain you'll get one based on what you've said!
Reply 13
No worries! I can't go into specifics about the interviews but I remember Dundee was much more role-play type scenarios like "your friend tells you she's plagiarised an essay please speak to her about it" things like that. There were also some stations where you had to work with another person in order to complete tasks and they would grade you on how well you communicated etc. Glasgow had some totally bizarre stations that you literally could not have prepared for, so my advice for those is stay calm, keep a smile on your face and take as long as you need to answer the question. Also - if you don't understand a question there is nothing wrong with asking them to repeat/rephrase it. You won't get penalised for that but you will get penalised if you rush in and answer something incorrectly because you didn't understand!

I think I got my invitation for Dundee around this time and I want to say late November/early December for Glasgow. Don't panic though if you don't have one I'm fairly certain you'll get one based on what you've said!

Thank you so much, that was really helpful! My Dundee interview is soon, how did you prepare as I’m unsure where to start
Thank you so much, that was really helpful! My Dundee interview is soon, how did you prepare as I’m unsure where to start

I just prepared for the obvious questions like why dentistry, why dundee, what qualities a dentist should have, knew what was in my personal statement etc! If you prepare for those and nail them you're in with a shout :smile:
Got an interview from Glasgow!
still not heard from glasgow :frown: starting to worry
I just prepared for the obvious questions like why dentistry, why dundee, what qualities a dentist should have, knew what was in my personal statement etc! If you prepare for those and nail them you're in with a shout :smile:

Did you do any interview courses? Did you read out loud when practicing answers? How long did you prepare for? I have Dundee and Glasgow interviews and I want to prepare the best I can. Thanks in advance
anyone had a dundee interview? any tips? 😊
Anyone who has had their Dundee interview, how did you find it?

Quick Reply

Latest