The Student Room Group

Self Studying AS / A Level Economics

I have recently finished my GCSE's and will be attending my local school for my A-Level education. They do not offer economics, so I have decided I will try to self-study this, at least through AS Level, and then hopefully move on to gain the full A-Level qualification.

If you have previously self-taught Economics at A-Level, or if you have done any A-Level self-learning, please could you answer the questions below, or just give me as much information of your experience of Self-teaching this qualification.

1) How much time and work does it take to self-study Economics? I will also be taking 3 other demanding A-Level subjects in school.

2) Does it seem realistic to self-study Economics whilst studying Chemistry, Maths and History in school? I believe I am a capable student.

3) What is the best board to take Economics with? I would prefer less (no) coursework, due to the inconvenience this may cause when self-teaching.

4) From past experience, what are the best revision notes and guides for the Economic course?

5) When would I need to start learning the course ? I.e, to keep in time with the syllabus and have plenty of revision time.

5) If you could just give me as much information as possible on your experiences of self-studying Economics at an A-Level I would highly appreciate it!
Reply 1
Original post by ConnorSmith
I have recently finished my GCSE's and will be attending my local school for my A-Level education. They do not offer economics, so I have decided I will try to self-study this, at least through AS Level, and then hopefully move on to gain the full A-Level qualification.

If you have previously self-taught Economics at A-Level, or if you have done any A-Level self-learning, please could you answer the questions below, or just give me as much information of your experience of Self-teaching this qualification.

1) How much time and work does it take to self-study Economics? I will also be taking 3 other demanding A-Level subjects in school.

2) Does it seem realistic to self-study Economics whilst studying Chemistry, Maths and History in school? I believe I am a capable student.

3) What is the best board to take Economics with? I would prefer less (no) coursework, due to the inconvenience this may cause when self-teaching.

4) From past experience, what are the best revision notes and guides for the Economic course?

5) When would I need to start learning the course ? I.e, to keep in time with the syllabus and have plenty of revision time.

5) If you could just give me as much information as possible on your experiences of self-studying Economics at an A-Level I would highly appreciate it!

Sorry only got an answer for 3), but i think AQA doesn't do coursework, it is for the one i'm going to be doing anyway :O
Reply 2

I found A Level Economics to be the subject where I didn't require much support. I did edexcel btw. The Phillip Allen unit guides are very helpful, and if you keep up with current affairs, you could quite easily get an A in economics (at least at AS level).

If you have any problems, go onto YouTube and search for 'Paj Holden'. He goes through the different parts of the syllabus and is an excellent teacher. Unit 3 economics is probably the trickiest, but I think Paj Holden covers the graphs.

You can always ask for help on TSR should you need it!
Reply 3
Original post by IgorYakov
Sorry only got an answer for 3), but i think AQA doesn't do coursework, it is for the one i'm going to be doing anyway :O

Will you be self-teaching?

Original post by AK0001
I found A Level Economics to be the subject where I didn't require much support. I did edexcel btw. The Phillip Allen unit guides are very helpful, and if you keep up with current affairs, you could quite easily get an A in economics (at least at AS level).

If you have any problems, go onto YouTube and search for 'Paj Holden'. He goes through the different parts of the syllabus and is an excellent teacher. Unit 3 economics is probably the trickiest, but I think Paj Holden covers the graphs.

You can always ask for help on TSR should you need it!

That's great, I'll bookmark him for sure! Would you recommend self-teaching this subject, or would it be too difficult? Also, did the Edexcel exam board have any course work/ case studies.
Reply 4
That's great, I'll bookmark him for sure! Would you recommend self-teaching this subject, or would it be too difficult? Also, did the Edexcel exam board have any course work/ case studies.

I'd definitely recommend teaching yourself economics. Edexcel has no coursework for econ. No compulsory case studies to learn.

If you're the disciplined type, you'll do great.
I'm pretty sure coursework was abolished for A level economics a few years ago

I'm studying AQA economics at school, the exam board is fine tbh.

I highly recommend the AQA student book also YouTube videos are really helpful.

I've got some AS economics notes on my laptop, if ya want I can email them to you? Bought them online a few months back, save your money :wink:

If you want any other help with economics don't hesitate to ask

EDIT- I'd post the notes on here but it's exceeded the upload limit
Don't be afraid to PM me, even if it's after a year this comment was submitted, as long as I'm active on TSR I will gladly email anyone the notes.
I currently have both AS AND A2 notes available now
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by AK0001
I'd definitely recommend teaching yourself economics. Edexcel has no coursework for econ. No compulsory case studies to learn.

If you're the disciplined type, you'll do great.

That's all good then. I will probably end up going with Edexcel, simply because I done my Science GCSE's with them, so have a degree of familiarity. However, I will not be going with WJEC; my local school's choice! Obviously I will have to do more research into the whole syllabus and self-studying aspect of education, but when would you recommend beginning the learning? Start of the next school term?

Original post by 16dan2life
I'm pretty sure coursework was abolished for A level economics a few years ago

I'm studying AQA economics at school, the exam board is fine tbh.

I highly recommend the AQA student book also YouTube videos are really helpful.

I've got some AS economics notes on my laptop, if ya want I can email them to you? Bought them online a few months back, save your money :wink:

If you want any other help with economics don't hesitate to ask

EDIT- I'd post the notes on here but it's exceeded the upload limit

Thanks for your help. How do you find the difficulty of Economics in comparison to your other A-Levels (in terms of understanding concepts and workload)? If you could email me them, that would be fantastic!
That's all good then. I will probably end up going with Edexcel, simply because I done my Science GCSE's with them, so have a degree of familiarity. However, I will not be going with WJEC; my local school's choice! Obviously I will have to do more research into the whole syllabus and self-studying aspect of education, but when would you recommend beginning the learning? Start of the next school term?

Thanks for your help. How do you find the difficulty of Economics in comparison to your other A-Levels (in terms of understanding concepts and workload)? If you could email me them, that would be fantastic!

Sure no problem, PM me your email and i'll do right away
Economics is by far my favourite subject, in a way i have self studied economics, i had the worst teacher ever and wagged most lessons..... just studied my notes and textbook every night 2 months before the exam.

Secured an A with this method for my unit 1 exam...... i feel it's worked for my unit 2 exam, just have to wait and see my results :colone:

Also, past papers are key!!!!!
I can't stress this enough
For multiple choice part many questions are just repeated questions so they should be easy marks.

Ask me if you want more help :biggrin:
Reply 8

Why not start now?
Reply 9
Original post by 16dan2life
Sure no problem, PM me your email and i'll do right away
Economics is by far my favourite subject, in a way i have self studied economics, i had the worst teacher ever and wagged most lessons..... just studied my notes and textbook every night 2 months before the exam.

Secured an A with this method for my unit 1 exam...... i feel it's worked for my unit 2 exam, just have to wait and see my results :colone:

Also, past papers are key!!!!!
I can't stress this enough
For multiple choice part many questions are just repeated questions so they should be easy marks.

Ask me if you want more help :biggrin:

Haha, I know where you're coming from! Unfortunately most teachers in my school have a resemblance to your Economics one! Thanks for the advice! I've heard that the format of answering some written questions are quite tricky as-well; similar to History at GCSE I suppose. Do you happen to know of any revision materials/ notes which contain the guide-lines for the answering format?

Original post by AK0001
Why not start now?

I suppose I could. I'm currently researching as much as I can at the moment, just to ensure I've got a good enough insight into the course. If I do the Economics course, I will choose Edexcel, simply due to the masses of revision material they have. Do you know how the Edexcel exams are structured? There are two AS Units, I assume you do the one in Jan and the other in June?
(edited 11 years ago)
Haha, I know where you're coming from! Unfortunately most teachers in my school have a resemblance to your Economics one! Thanks for the advice! I've heard that the format of answering some written questions are quite tricky as-well; similar to History at GCSE I suppose. Do you happen to know of any revision materials/ notes which contain the guide-lines for the answering format?

I suppose I could. I'm currently researching as much as I can at the moment, just to ensure I've got a good enough insight into the course.

Well I recommend you revise the content first then head onto answering the essay question, It's best to learn this 2/3 weeks before the exam. The small Phillip allain mini study guides are good and have many example answers also tells you how to answer questions.

PM me when you want help answering the essay section :wink:
If anyone here lives in london my names Dammy and Im doing Edexcel Alevel Economics and Im self teaching so if you need a study buddy then im up for it. let me know
Please could you send me the notes! I'd really appreciate it, thanks!! Please PM me
Reply 13
You realise you’ve sent this 6 years later they’re probably no longer on student room lol
Reply 14
Hello. hello...... ecoooo
Reply 15
Plz PM me and send me the notes
Original post by Jojee
Plz PM me and send me the notes

This thread is 7 years old so you may struggle w that...

Quick Reply

Latest