The Student Room Group

Unremarkable ventures III

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Sinnoh
Damn I'm sorry to hear that. Did you consider switching sooner to straight maths or is stats worth it?

I can't switch sooner and I'm not 100% sure if I want to transfer yet. I want to do well enough to be able to transfer whether I do or not though.
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
I literally have 2 seminars tomorrow I seriously can’t be arsed for them :colonhash: and 5 in a week 😭

Omg I know right they have to pull their phones out and take a pic :lol:

That's a shame. What subject are you doing, the humanities people have loads of seminars.

I never thought my eyesight was that good but I can see from the back of the lecture hall.
(edited 4 years ago)
sorry to hear the experience hasn't been great :redface: hope it improves a bit soon :heart:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
sorry to hear the experience hasn't been great :redface: hope it improves a bit soon :heart:

Don't really see how it can for now - hopefully you're right though.
This could be an good oppurtunity to explore your other interests not related to the degree (or it could be, if you want) to at least make up for the academic experience you've had so far.

It all depends on you.
Argh, none of this sounds good. :frown: Is there any other people on your course that are having the same problem that you are? Did you decide to go to the Analysis II lectures in the end? Or are there any additional maths seminars/evening lectures/reading courses that you could go to or anything outside of maths that sounds interesting you could take up?
Got to say, set theory does get a lot more interesting in later years, not that you'll see much of it at Warwick but it might be worth exploring a couple of bits on your own if you find the first year stuff tedious. :smile:
Original post by _gcx
That's a shame. What subject are you doing, the humanities people have loads of seminars.

I never thought my eyesight was that good but I can see from the back of the lecture hall.

I’m doing law which explains why I have so many seminars :rofl:

thats pretty impressive:eek: :lol:
Original post by I AM GROOT 1
I’m doing law which explains why I have so many seminars :rofl:

thats pretty impressive:eek: :lol:

I guess you can bluff more for humanities.

I used to wear glasses but I don't remember why, I think it's because I got eyestrain as a kid.
Original post by SilentSolitaire
Argh, none of this sounds good. :frown: Is there any other people on your course that are having the same problem that you are? Did you decide to go to the Analysis II lectures in the end? Or are there any additional maths seminars/evening lectures/reading courses that you could go to or anything outside of maths that sounds interesting you could take up?
Got to say, set theory does get a lot more interesting in later years, not that you'll see much of it at Warwick but it might be worth exploring a couple of bits on your own if you find the first year stuff tedious. :smile:

Dunno. One of my friends seems to be finding the course quite straightforward. I haven't made a specific effort to meet good maths people, that might be something I have to work on. Oh:

Couldn't nerve myself up to going to lectures for this first day, and didn't bother since then. Will try to learn this over this term, maybe over christmas or something

this was about Analysis III, oops. Seminars aren't a thing in straight maths - they do have 2 hour classes that seem horrific. I'm glad I'm not doing them. As to extra lectures - the only real option is y2 lectures and I already plan on doing those next term. Might go to variational principles in term 3 too since that's a short one. Nothing outside of maths really interests me, my academic interests are quite narrow in that I only like maths. But within maths my interests are very broad.

Plan to do this already - got an overly ambitious plan as to what I want to cover by the end of the year. But it is very ambitious, and improbable, so probably won't share. Are you an undergrad?
Original post by _gcx
I guess you can bluff more for humanities.

I used to wear glasses but I don't remember why, I think it's because I got eyestrain as a kid.

I guess so :s-smilie:

Really? Well great to hear your eyesight is good and better than the majority of people in your lectures :awesome:
Original post by _gcx
Are you an undergrad?

No, hoping to do maths at uni next year so just interested to find out how other people are finding it. :smile:
Original post by SilentSolitaire
No, hoping to do maths at uni next year so just interested to find out how other people are finding it. :smile:

Fair enough.

I'm probably an unreliable source on this. There are some people that love it here. Going through some personal issues that are unrelated to my degree that are making me view things more pessimistically.

If you start reading some first year maths stuff (or complex analysis or something) or want text recommendations feel free to post in this thread/PM.
got 25/25 on my first DEs assignment but bunked most of my lectures today. didn't miss anything.

i like supervisions. 5 people isn't as bad as I thought. but it's the maximum I'd do. because i did what he set the group quickly he kept giving me harder questions individually. while I could do all of them it sets a precedent that they'll try to challenge me. one of the questions was to prove (n+1)nn!(2n)!<4n(n!)2(n + 1)^n n! \le (2n)! < 4^n (n!)^2 for natural nn (@SilentSolitaire?) if anyone wants to give that a go. another one was just some inequality. (finding positive integer NN st for all positive integers n>Nn > N we have n24n4n2+112<217\left|\frac {n^2} {\sqrt {4n^4 - n^2 + 1}} - \frac 1 2\right| < 2^{-17}, after having shown 4n4n2+1>2n21\sqrt{4n^4 - n^2 + 1} > 2n^2 - 1) missed my first mathematical techniques supervision though.

things aren't good for me right now, (aside from academics) but I'll work at it all. doesn't feel like anything's going right. will post again later.

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Congrats on that 25/25 :woo:

Maths :afraid:
well done on 25/25!!
have you talked to pastoral support or something about how you're feeling?:redface:
Original post by entertainmyfaith
well done on 25/25!!
have you talked to pastoral support or something about how you're feeling?:redface:

to clarify, the feeling bad mentioned at the end was unrelated to academics.

but yeah i do plan on doing that at some point.
Sorry to hear you haven't been having the experience you hoped for :hugs: And to hear about your personal problems too :sadnod: Really hope it picks up soon! Your seminars seem similar to ours, the quality of which seems to entirely depend on the tutor, rather frustrating!
Original post by Lemur14
Sorry to hear you haven't been having the experience you hoped for :hugs: And to hear about your personal problems too :sadnod: Really hope it picks up soon! Your seminars seem similar to ours, the quality of which seems to entirely depend on the tutor, rather frustrating!

I've been told, academically, it probably won't any time this year. Rate of firsts in first year is quite high (some modules average a first, some modules I've seen have 40% firsts, etc.) and by many accounts it's generally quite easy throughout. Personal problems will probably resolve by then, but the prospect of having to spend 3 years in an environment I really don't like is a bit of a downer. At least, hopefully, halfway through the third year I'd be able to look forward to going elsewhere for masters.

I think I'd find seminars the same regardless of the tutor, because the groups are just far too big. (as I said, 5 in supervisions is just about my maximum, I'd have preferred 3 or 4. not the 15 in seminar groups) There is next to nothing to differentiate it from school. They say that "most learning" for that module occurs in seminars, but that just seems like bs.
(edited 4 years ago)
Well done on 25/25!:woo:
Original post by _gcx
I've been told, academically, it probably won't any time this year. Rate of firsts in first year is quite high (some modules average a first, some modules I've seen have 40% firsts, etc.) and by many accounts it's generally quite easy throughout. Personal problems will probably resolve by then, but the prospect of having to spend 3 years in an environment I really don't like is a bit of a downer. At least, hopefully, halfway through the third year I'd be able to look forward to going elsewhere for masters.

I think I'd find seminars the same regardless of the tutor, because the groups are just far too big. (as I said, 5 in supervisions is just about my maximum, I'd have preferred 3 or 4. not the 15 in seminar groups) There is next to nothing to differentiate it from school. They say that "most learning" for that module occurs in seminars, but that just seems like bs.

Aww, that's rubbish :frown: I find it amazing it has such a great reputation despite all this! And yeah, 3 years somewhere you're not feeling fulfilled would definitely be a downer :console:
Ours seem to vary much more than yours do...we have about 12 per tutorial, but some tutors split you into 3s and you do questions together, some make you do them individually, some do them at the front etc. It's pretty different from school (and for me the classes are smaller since I had such large ones at A level!) We get told most learning happens in tutorials too, but it does kind of make sense I suppose, whereas I would think it would be supervisions for you.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending