The Student Room Group

Please help !! Difference aviation and aerospace ??

I’m currently a second year student for Aerospace Engineering BEng. I’ve been doing some research and have looked into a course : Aviation Engineering and as I want a career particular with working with aircrafts is there a point of me doing aerospace and should I just
change to doing Aviation Engineering BEng. I’ve also noticed that Aviation engineering BEng consists of more practical and assignments which I really enjoy compared to Aerospace looking at them online. I’m really stressing and need some Advice pls :smile:
Naming conventions for aero courses aren't an exact science so you're gonna have to give us the uni names for us to be able to advise
Reply 2
I’m studying BEng Aerospace Engineering and I’ve seen a new course offered in my same uni for BEng Aviation Engineering which consists of more practical and less theory which I’m better with. I’m studying at Kingston University
Original post by Kbr amg
I’m studying BEng Aerospace Engineering and I’ve seen a new course offered in my same uni for BEng Aviation Engineering which consists of more practical and less theory which I’m better with. I’m studying at Kingston University

Aviation degrees tend to be on the aircraft maintenance/running an airport/airline side of things and from what I can tell that is the case with the Aviation engineering course at Kingston. I wouldn't say it's more practical at all, if anything it's the opposite based on the course description.
Reply 4
I don’t think so if you look at the different modules it covers stuff like Aerospace engineering, projects and believe that covers the practical side
Original post by Kbr amg
I don’t think so if you look at the different modules it covers stuff like Aerospace engineering, projects and believe that covers the practical side

If you look at the modules, most of them are in operational research and aviation management and economics. You don't cover any of the core technical topics required to be an aerospace engineer in any great depth - they're all bungled into one double module in second year, with a follow up double module in third year. The aerospace engineering degree at Kingston covers those topics over three double modules in second year, and two in third year, and as such goes into much greater depth.

The "aviation engineering" degree at Kingston only prepares you to work on the business and operations side of the aerospace sector, and only gives you the bare minimum technical background to (potentially) manage engineers.
Reply 6
So you reckon with a Aviation Engineering degree I can still possibly get a good career within aircraft industry and also maybe mechanical engineering role. Can you please give me an idea of some good career options I can go for ?
Original post by Kbr amg
So you reckon with a Aviation Engineering degree I can still possibly get a good career within aircraft industry and also maybe mechanical engineering role. Can you please give me an idea of some good career options I can go for ?

No, I am specifically saying that is unlikely. If you want to go into the business and operations side of the aerospace sector, the aviation engineering is a good option (although you could just as well do either course and do that). If you want to actually work in any way in e.g. engineering design in aerospace etc, then the aerospace engineering course is the only real option.

The aviation engineering role is, as stated, very much going to be on the logistics, operations, management/business side of things, and those are the roles you're likely going to target with that degree.
Reply 8
Oh ok because on the Kingston website under aviation engineering it does mention by the end of the course it can lead you to becoming an incorporated engineer
Reply 9
Also asking a few lecturers in Kingston university they said Aviation engineering Beng used to be called Bsc Aerospace
Original post by Kbr amg
Oh ok because on the Kingston website under aviation engineering it does mention by the end of the course it can lead you to becoming an incorporated engineer

Incorporated engineer is not the same as chartered engineer, the latter being the protected title you probably want to aim for if you bother going for any.

Original post by Kbr amg
Also asking a few lecturers in Kingston university they said Aviation engineering Beng used to be called Bsc Aerospace

Degree names are pretty much meaningless, the content is what's important. Look at the modules available. You can clearly see the majority of the aviation engineering modules are non-technical, compared to aerospace. This is also notably evidenced by the fact the aviation engineering course does not require an ATAS certificate from international students (unlike the aerospace engineering course, which does, because it has sufficient technical content to require that level of scrutiny).
Reply 11
So your saying It’s no point doing this course or.. as I’ve already gave in the form to change from aerospace to aviation as I was told it Involves more practical projects with aviation. And at any point I can always do a masters in aerospace that way I can have 2 degrees within the aerospace sector whereas you can’t do a masters in aviation.
Original post by Kbr amg
So your saying It’s no point doing this course or.. as I’ve already gave in the form to change from aerospace to aviation as I was told it Involves more practical projects with aviation. And at any point I can always do a masters in aerospace that way I can have 2 degrees within the aerospace sector whereas you can’t do a masters in aviation.

You probably wouldn't have sufficient technical background to do a masters in aerospace engineering outside of one focusing on those areas of aviation logistics/aerospace operations.

You can always explain to them that you don't actually want to change after all, if you have changed your mind. The aviation engineering course is a fine course for what it is, it's just important to recognise what the degree entails - if you want to be designing aircraft and aerospace systems, that degree isn't really going to be appropriate.

Quick Reply

Latest