The Student Room Group

Biochemistry Placement

Hey I am currently in my second year at the university of Birmingham studying biochemistry looking to do a placement year. Does anyone have any advice or tips about where to look for placements/ interview practise??

Any advice much appreciated :smile:
Reply 1
I just completed a year in industry placement with an aerospace/defence company. When I was searching for placements during my 2nd year, I knew I wanted to work in an aviation company because I was interested in aeroplanes. So I spent my time looking on as many aviation company websites as possible to find any placement opportunities. I also looked on other places like Indeed, LinkedIn and also Handshake.
For the assessment/interview elements of an application, I would suggest practicing with friends or family and pretend that you are being interviewed. Just keep practicing until you feel comfortable answering the expected/standard interview questions, e.g. Why do you want to work with us, Tell me a time when you had to complete a challenge, what actions did you take and what was the result? etc....
Original post by gracebx1
Hey I am currently in my second year at the university of Birmingham studying biochemistry looking to do a placement year. Does anyone have any advice or tips about where to look for placements/ interview practise??

Any advice much appreciated :smile:

Hi @gracebx1

I'm a biochemistry student currently on placement at a biotechnology company!

My main advice would be to contact your careers team - Lancaster was super helpful in terms of CV help, pointing me towards placements, and providing practise interview questions! Usually career advisors really want to help and not enough people take advantage of that during their time at university. They might even point out some companies you've never heard of with amazing roles. :smile:

Be prepared to start applying from the start of October, but don't panic if you don't get any of the ones you initially apply for because more will continue to open up throughout the year.

If you have any other questions please let me know!
Rebecca (Lancaster Student Ambassador)
(edited 7 months ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending