The Student Room Group

Is Further maths, Maths, and Physics A-level a good combination?

Hi, as the title suggests, I wanted to ask about this combination. I've done alot of research online but alot of the questions and forums regarding the question are quite outdated so I wanted to ask for some extra advice.

I chose maths, physics, and further maths as my 3 a level options for this September, starting year 12, and I was wondering if that's good enough. I'm not really willing to do 4 a levels but I'm willing to swap further maths if I have too, as some people were suggesting Unis consider further maths and maths too similar, and I don't want it to handicap me.

In the future I hope to go into a job in the aviation industry, or something related to aeronautical engineering, so I feel as though further maths would definitely benefit me more than another 3rd a level option like Chemistry or Economics, but I wanted to ask for your opinions.

Thank you
Original post by Duckity
Hi, as the title suggests, I wanted to ask about this combination. I've done alot of research online but alot of the questions and forums regarding the question are quite outdated so I wanted to ask for some extra advice.

I chose maths, physics, and further maths as my 3 a level options for this September, starting year 12, and I was wondering if that's good enough. I'm not really willing to do 4 a levels but I'm willing to swap further maths if I have too, as some people were suggesting Unis consider further maths and maths too similar, and I don't want it to handicap me.

In the future I hope to go into a job in the aviation industry, or something related to aeronautical engineering, so I feel as though further maths would definitely benefit me more than another 3rd a level option like Chemistry or Economics, but I wanted to ask for your opinions.

Thank you

‘Almost every course will require you to have qualifications in maths and physics, and high grades at the more prestigious universities. Other desirable subjects include IT or computing, further maths, and design technology.’
https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/aerospace-engineering#:~:text=Aerospace%20engineering%20course%20entry%20requirements&text=Almost%20every%20course%20will%20require,further%20maths%2C%20and%20design%20technology.
Aerospace engineering degree
Reply 2
Original post by BankaiGintoki
‘Almost every course will require you to have qualifications in maths and physics, and high grades at the more prestigious universities. Other desirable subjects include IT or computing, further maths, and design technology.’
https://www.ucas.com/explore/subjects/aerospace-engineering#:~:text=Aerospace%20engineering%20course%20entry%20requirements&text=Almost%20every%20course%20will%20require,further%20maths%2C%20and%20design%20technology.
Aerospace engineering degree

So would I be better off doing further maths as a third? or does it limit my options alot
Original post by Duckity
So would I be better off doing further maths as a third? or does it limit my options alot

Since you want to do further maths, and is interested in an aerospace degree, it is fine
Reply 4
Original post by BankaiGintoki
Since you want to do further maths, and is interested in an aerospace degree, it is fine

I'm thinking, doesn't it limit me too much if I change my mind? don't certain colleges think further maths and maths are too similar?
Original post by Duckity
I'm thinking, doesn't it limit me too much if I change my mind? don't certain colleges think further maths and maths are too similar?

See: https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=4667586
https://furthermaths.wales/students/university-courses/#second
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Duckity

No, a very few Medicine courses don't like it but otherwise it is a popular choice.
Reply 7
Original post by Muttley79
No, a very few Medicine courses don't like it but otherwise it is a popular choice.

I guess I misunderstood what people meant.
Thanks alot

Quick Reply

Latest