The Student Room Group

5 A Levels—should I take sociology?

Currently, I’m taking 4 A levels; maths, literature, English language and economics. My friend is taking sociology now and it looks so so interesting, I want to take it too.

Thing is, I’m studying literature independently since I don’t have a teacher for it and just finished analysing my 20 poems right now, so I have the book and 2 plays left.
The other subjects I find moderately okay since all of them I have prior experience with (English as a first language helped a lot, I’ve taken additional maths and economics syllabus is very similar to igcse).
I’m looking, in uni, to maybe get a double degree in English/Journalism/anything-similar and Economics, or major in Economics and mirror in English.

Should I take sociology and would I able to handle it?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by mano.joonie
Currently, I’m taking 4 A levels; maths, literature, English language and economics. My friend is taking sociology now and it looks so so interesting, I want to take it too.

Thing is, I’m studying literature independently since I don’t have a teacher for it and just finished analysing my 20 poems right now, so I have the book and 2 plays left.
The other subjects I find moderately okay since all of them I have prior experience with (English as a first language helped a lot, I’ve taken additional maths and economics syllabus is very similar to igcse).
I’m looking, in uni, to maybe get a double degree in English/Journalism/anything-similar and Economics, or major in Economics and mirror in English.

I don’t think you should take sociology because it’s going to be too much. In fact I don’t see the point in doing both English language and literature.

For example the New College of the Humanities does a degree similar to what you described:

BSc Economics with English

https://www.nchlondon.ac.uk/degrees/undergraduate/economics/economics-with-english-bsc/entry-requirements/

Their entry requirements are AAB and the only subjects they require are maths and economics from what I can tell. English literature is more respect and since you don’t have a teacher I’d say drop language and don’t do sociology instead do:
Economics
Maths
English literature

Don't spread yourself too thin. Just do maths, literature and economics. DEFINITELY don't do sociology. English language doesn't add anything when you're already doing literature (which is more impressive), and sociology wouldn't add much to your uni application either (it's seen as a soft subject by many top unis). It's so much better to get 3 good grades than 4 or 5 poorer ones - no university requires you to take 4 A levels. Hope this helps and that the a levels go well! :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by User135792468
I don’t think you should take sociology because it’s going to be too much. In fact I don’t see the point in doing both English language and literature.

For example the New College of the Humanities does a degree similar to what you described:

BSc Economics with English

https://www.nchlondon.ac.uk/degrees/undergraduate/economics/economics-with-english-bsc/entry-requirements/

Their entry requirements are AAB and the only subjects they require are maths and economics from what I can tell. English literature is more respect and since you don’t have a teacher I’d say drop language and don’t do sociology instead do:
Economics
Maths
English literature

Original post by DaisyFlower123
Don't spread yourself too thin. Just do maths, literature and economics. DEFINITELY don't do sociology. English language doesn't add anything when you're already doing literature (which is more impressive), and sociology wouldn't add much to your uni application either (it's seen as a soft subject by many top unis). It's so much better to get 3 good grades than 4 or 5 poorer ones - no university requires you to take 4 A levels. Hope this helps and that the a levels go well! :smile:

Okay, thing is I want to take at least 4 A levels, I can definitely handle them and I’d prefer it too because I work very well under pressure than not. Should I take the three a levels (eco, lit, maths) plus sociology and dropping eng language or should I just do the three? If so, is sociology just really useless for my major choices or is it just a soft subject? And what would you recommend for a 4th a level otherwise? Thank you sm btw!
Okay, thing is I want to take at least 4 A levels, I can definitely handle them and I’d prefer it too because I work very well under pressure than not. Should I take the three a levels (eco, lit, maths) plus sociology and dropping eng language or should I just do the three? If so, is sociology just really useless for my major choices or is it just a soft subject? And what would you recommend for a 4th a level otherwise? Thank you sm btw!

You could do a 4th A level but it is almost always going to be ignored by universities unless it’s relevant to your course which it isn’t. Sociology has very little to do with economics but sociology could be slightly useful for English. I’m guessing you’re in Year 12?

Well I am in Year 13, I have so many friends that do the subjects you’re doing. Sociology is easy, even the not so academic students are getting predicted As but it is regarded as a soft subject. Maths is really hard and stressful from what I heard. Economics is fine but not easiest A level nor the hardest. English literature is very long and stressful due to memorising so many quotes.

Disadvantages to doing 4 Alevels:
-Less time for revision as you have more lessons
-More content to revise
-Universities don’t really care about 4th

Advantages to doing 4 A levels:
-You get an extra qualification

But the real question is would you rather do 4 A levels and get AABB or 3 A levels and get AAA?

You will feel the effect of doing a 4th A level when you further progress into A levels and everything gets too much

It's never necessary to take 4 A levels. Your offer will be based on three, and getting three superb grades should be your priority. Suggesting a fifth is, frankly, ridiculous.

If you want to do a bit more study, then why not do an EPQ? It's a really good way of studying a topic in depth and showing that you have 'soft skills' such as organisation, research ability, ability to organise your own time and workload: all stuff which will make you an effective student at university and stand you in good stead.
Doing five a levels is just so unnecessary. I’d only tell a pupil to do four in one sitting if one is further maths.

Don’t do sociology. It’s easy but there’s a lot of content.

Sociology is seen as a soft subject so wouldn't add much to your application. Not sure how it would compare to english language - they're probably quite similar, respect-wise. I'd say unless you have a passion for a different subject, stick to science, maths, english or foreign languages, history, geography, etc. Maybe a foreign language for the 4th? Or geography fits in well with economics. Personally I wouldn't hesitate - I'd just do the 3. You'll get better grades and end up at a better university, and enjoy the process more as you'll be much less stressed. Just wondering, what kind of grades/universities are you aiming for?
Original post by DaisyFlower123
Sociology is seen as a soft subject so wouldn't add much to your application. Not sure how it would compare to english language - they're probably quite similar, respect-wise. I'd say unless you have a passion for a different subject, stick to science, maths, english or foreign languages, history, geography, etc. Maybe a foreign language for the 4th? Or geography fits in well with economics. Personally I wouldn't hesitate - I'd just do the 3. You'll get better grades and end up at a better university, and enjoy the process more as you'll be much less stressed. Just wondering, what kind of grades/universities are you aiming for?

Ignore this OP: the whole soft subjects concept doesn’t exist anymore. As long as the subject is on the universities’ accepted subjects list, it will add to your application.

Still don’t see a purpose in doing even 4 subjects though.
Sociology is easy, even the not so academic students are getting predicted As but it is regarded as a soft subject. Maths is really hard and stressful from what I heard. Economics is fine but not easiest A level nor the hardest. English literature is very long and stressful due to memorising so many quotes.

Please stop talking about things that you have absolutely no idea about. By your account, you should've done Sociology considering you're barely being predicted B grades. Regardless, soft subjects don't exist anymore.
Believe me, don't take five A Levels. Heck, don't even take four. Universities will offer a place based upon a three A Level offer. Three A's is better than four B's.

5 A levels will be way to0 much.I am doing 3(Maths biology and psychology)and im currently dying,i cannot even imagine 4,in my opinion dont overload.Keep ur 4 A levels and try to keep them as high as possible,no need for the fifth
Original post by Quick-use
Please stop talking about things that you have absolutely no idea about. By your account, you should've done Sociology considering you're barely being predicted B grades. Regardless, soft subjects don't exist anymore.

And you are an expert on everything? Love the way you go on every post I am on to say I’m wrong. Everyone is giving their opinion whether wrongly or rightly it’s not for you to comment on. You’re here to answer the question on the thread. Everyone else is confirming that sociology is a soft subject so why target me? You’re not an expert on everything. You may be older and wiser but it doesn’t mean you have a right to silence people then you target me based on my predicted grades. I’m happy with my predicted grades considering the fact that I weren’t in school for the first 6 months and really sociology is a softer subject. My friends with lower GCSEs are getting predicted As, I know anecdotal reference is not evidence but it’s sure got to count for something combined with the number of people agreeing with me that sociology is in fact a soft subject
My friends with lower GCSEs are getting predicted As, I know anecdotal reference is not evidence but it’s sure got to count for something combined with the number of people agreeing with me that sociology is in fact a soft subject

Anecdotal evidence from other high school children doesn't equate to reality. University admission teams throughout the UK have abolished the so-called hierarchy of A level subjects. Ergo, the whispers you apparently hear about how easy Sociology is or how it's soft are simply not true. Perhaps a remnant of the past which has outlived its legacy.

Again, I realise it's easy to compulsively lie online (about how someone's done 4 A level subjects and is in their first year of a certain degree...) but find it in your heart to stop perpetuating myths and misinformation as it helps no-one.
(edited 4 years ago)
WHY would you want to do FIVE A levels .

There is nothing whatsoever to gain, and everything to lose.

Universities do not think 'oooo clever' - they think 'ooooo, stupid', because AAA will always look better than BBBBB and that is what you are risking by trying to be a smart-arse. I have see far too many lose University places in August for exactly this reason.
(edited 4 years ago)
And you are an expert on everything? Love the way you go on every post I am on to say I’m wrong. Everyone is giving their opinion whether wrongly or rightly it’s not for you to comment on. You’re here to answer the question on the thread. Everyone else is confirming that sociology is a soft subject

Perhaps you would like to read this :https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/may/23/russell-group-scraps-preferred-a-levels-list-after-arts-subjects-hit

No academic A level subject is viewed as 'easy' or 'soft' by any Universities.

(I've just retired as an Admissions Tutor having worked in 5 different Universities - your experience is what exactly?)
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by returnmigrant
Perhaps you would like to read this :https://www.theguardian.com/education/2019/may/23/russell-group-scraps-preferred-a-levels-list-after-arts-subjects-hit

No academic A level subject is viewed as 'easy' or 'soft' by any Universities.

Officially they don’t have soft or hard subject but we all have our prejudices. In general people assume media, sociology and subjects alike are much easier than say biology, physics or maths
Original post by Quick-use
Anecdotal evidence from other high school children doesn't equate to reality. University admission teams throughout the UK have abolished the so-called hierarchy of A level subjects. Ergo, the whispers you apparently hear about how easy Sociology is or how it's soft are simply not true. Perhaps a remnant of the past which has outlived its legacy.

Again, I realise it's easy to compulsively lie online (about how someone's done 4 A level subjects and is in their first year of a certain degree...) but find it in your heart to stop perpetuating myths and misinformation as it helps no-one.

Those “high school children” that you refer to have been through the 9-1 GCSEs and are doing the new A levels. The qualifications we are doing is nothing alike to the ones you did years ago. You can’t judge people if you haven’t sat the new specification especially since nationally we have done worse under the new specs
You have been advised by 2 university admissions tutors that there are not soft subjects and the Russell Group has changed its advice on this, Both UCL and LSE 2 top university list Sociology on their preferred subject list. Every universities make offers on 3 subjects and as what was said in an open day I attended "we dont care how many A levels you people have. We require outstanding grades in 3 A levels. AAA is considered better by universities than BBBBB." Why do you think you know better than university admissions tutors who have dealt with this on a daily basis which you, your friends or you teachers have never done.
Preferred A level subjects

In addition to any specified programme requirements, you should also ensure that you are taking at least two A levels from the list of preferred subjects (given below).

We are happy to accept any subject as the third A level you offer, provided the other two subjects appear on the approved list. If you are not able to offer two preferred subjects, you should contact the relevant degree programme contact to ascertain whether you can still be considered for admission.We do not recognise General Studies and Critical Thinking for admissions purposes.
Preferred A levels
ABCDEFGHIJLMPRSTUWS
Sociology
Spanish
Statistics
And you are an expert on everything? Love the way you go on every post I am on to say I’m wrong. Everyone is giving their opinion whether wrongly or rightly it’s not for you to comment on. You’re here to answer the question on the thread. Everyone else is confirming that sociology is a soft subject so why target me? You’re not an expert on everything. You may be older and wiser but it doesn’t mean you have a right to silence people then you target me based on my predicted grades. I’m happy with my predicted grades considering the fact that I weren’t in school for the first 6 months and really sociology is a softer subject. My friends with lower GCSEs are getting predicted As, I know anecdotal reference is not evidence but it’s sure got to count for something combined with the number of people agreeing with me that sociology is in fact a soft subject

Officially they don’t have soft or hard subject but we all have our prejudices. In general people assume media, sociology and subjects alike are much easier than say biology, physics or maths

You don’t know what you’re on about. You obviously chose traditional subjects and aren’t doing so well so you’re bitter.

Quick Reply

Latest