The Student Room Group

What to write for my Chemical Engineering Personal Statement????? HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I am so stuck in what to even write for my personal statement for Chemical Engineering. I dunno what intrestes me about it. I researched examples but I am always like I wish I thought that one out too. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Ruhab Dabeer
I am so stuck in what to even write for my personal statement for Chemical Engineering. I dunno what intrestes me about it. I researched examples but I am always like I wish I thought that one out too. HELP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If you don't know what interests you about it are you sure you want to study it for 4 years?

If it is just that you're struggling to structure your thoughts or articulate your reasons well then try getting someone you trust to "interview" you and record the conversation. Then transcribe your words into text to give you something to start with.
Reply 2
Hello, Mechanical Engineering applicant here. Sent off my form in late September, hope I can be of some help.

You should talk about any extra-curriculars you've done such as, any Headstart courses, talks, competitions, reading etc. etc.

Show how you got engaged in that field or what made you interested. Talk about some topics that interested you and the science behind them (don't have to go in so much detail). Especially talk about what you gained from those experiences, talk about the skills you've built up that will be helpful in an engineering degree.

I basically just started off with writing as much as possible from what I have done like competitions, reading, presentations etc. etc. Then I went through with an ex-student and teacher highlighting bits that are probably best to mention.

I got feedback from other teachers, then I focused on narrowing it further in terms of the activities I've done but expanded upon what I gained and learnt from my experiences.

Then got help from an English student to make it sound good.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by A.Bsmi
Hello, Mechanical Engineering applicant here. Sent off my form in late September, hope I can be of some help.

You should talk about any extra-curriculars you've done such as, any Headstart courses, talks, competitions, reading etc. etc.

Show how you got engaged in that field or what made you interested. Talk about some topics that interested you and the science behind them (don't have to go in so much detail). Especially talk about what you gained from those experiences, talk about the skills you've built up that will be helpful in an engineering degree.

I basically just started off with writing as much as possible from what I have done like competitions, reading, presentations etc. etc. Then I went through with an ex-student and teacher highlighting bits that are probably best to mention.

I got feedback from other teachers, then I focused on narrowing it further in terms of the activities I've done but expanded upon what I gained and learnt from my experiences.

Then got help from an English student to make it sound good.

Hmmmmmmmmmm I worked in a Care home and went to a youth centre and a charity shop. So how will those help me with Chemical Engineering
Original post by PQ
If you don't know what interests you about it are you sure you want to study it for 4 years?

If it is just that you're struggling to structure your thoughts or articulate your reasons well then try getting someone you trust to "interview" you and record the conversation. Then transcribe your words into text to give you something to start with.

Hmmm I wanted to do Chemical Engineering because of the Maths and Chemistry involved in it and how they make raw material into products which are sustainable for the future. That's the field I am interested in
Reply 5
Hmmmmmmmmmm I worked in a Care home and went to a youth centre and a charity shop. So how will those help me with Chemical Engineering

Well clearly it's not, unless you think you gained any skills relevant to Chem. Eng.

Have you done any reading related to Chemical Engineering or Materials Science? You could talk about what part of the book interested you a lot and pick a topic to talk about from there.

In your other reply you've said that you are interested in sustainability of materials. Why? What made you interested in it? What did you do to learn more about it?
Original post by A.Bsmi
Well clearly it's not, unless you think you gained any skills relevant to Chem. Eng.

Have you done any reading related to Chemical Engineering or Materials Science? You could talk about what part of the book interested you a lot and pick a topic to talk about from there.

In your other reply you've said that you are interested in sustainability of materials. Why? What made you interested in it? What did you do to learn more about it?

I dunno what books to read about to help me do it. Can u plz suggest me one and a free book as well
Original post by A.Bsmi

I am interested in sustainability of materials cuz uno in our world today everything is screwed about with global warming and poverty. I believe me studying Chemical Engineering will help me to fix these issues to the best I can.
I dunno what books to read about to help me do it. Can u plz suggest me one and a free book as well

I would suggest starting from you and then move into wider reading later. Note the answers to the below questions aren't necessarily what you will put in a personal statement (although some of the material might be relevant) but can help you understand your motivations, and importantly also the rest of us so we can make relevant suggestions :smile:

To start with what are you studying now? Why did you choose those subjects? What is it about those subjects that you enjoy, and do you want to continue that at university level?

Regarding chemE itself, how did you come across the course? Where did you first hear about it? What made you consider studying it at university? Why did you choose that rather than another course (e.g. a different engineering discipline, another science discipline, etc)?
Original post by PQ

PRSOM :biggrin:
Original post by artful_lounger
I would suggest starting from you and then move into wider reading later. Note the answers to the below questions aren't necessarily what you will put in a personal statement (although some of the material might be relevant) but can help you understand your motivations, and importantly also the rest of us so we can make relevant suggestions :smile:

To start with what are you studying now? Why did you choose those subjects? What is it about those subjects that you enjoy, and do you want to continue that at university level?

Regarding chemE itself, how did you come across the course? Where did you first hear about it? What made you consider studying it at university? Why did you choose that rather than another course (e.g. a different engineering discipline, another science discipline, etc)?

My brother told me about it and I got interested cuz researched up on it and they make products to help the world. I got fascinated cuz I hate the issues in today's world like global warming. But I chose Chemical Engineering rather than other cuz solely I loved Chem and Maths and u have that at ChemE a lot
Your Personal Statement doesn't really need to involve on what you are studying but the aspect of why you want to study it. You put ' i love maths and chem' there is no shame referring to this or the fundamentals on why you want to make a the world today into something you would like to live in the future if that makes sense.

My brother told me about it and I got interested cuz researched up on it and they make products to help the world. I got fascinated cuz I hate the issues in today's world like global warming. But I chose Chemical Engineering rather than other cuz solely I loved Chem and Maths and u have that at ChemE a lot
Original post by Aadilkharl123
Your Personal Statement doesn't really need to involve on what you are studying but the aspect of why you want to study it. You put ' i love maths and chem' there is no shame referring to this or the fundamentals on why you want to make a the world today into something you would like to live in the future if that makes sense.

I don't get what u mean my friend. When u said "there is no shame referring to this or the fundamentals on why you want to make a the world today into something you would like to live in the future if that makes sense" I don't get what u mean. Should I not put about my subjects?
May i ask what are your subjects?

I don't get what u mean my friend. When u said "there is no shame referring to this or the fundamentals on why you want to make a the world today into something you would like to live in the future if that makes sense" I don't get what u mean. Should I not put about my subjects?
Original post by Aadilkharl123
May i ask what are your subjects?

Maths Chem and Bio A Levels

I would note that there is not a great deal of chemistry in chemical engineering; relatively little in fact. Most of the chemistry there is will be physical chemistry (thermodynamics, stuff about reaction rates etc). ChemE is mostly maths and physics-y topics (e.g. thermodynamics again, moving sometimes into more physics-y statistical mechanics, plus differential equations and fluid dynamics). You might like to consider materials science/engineering as well, as that can sometimes include more chemistry content and is fairly mathematical otherwise (but also involves a fair amount of physics).

Your other point are extremely general; lots of sectors make "products to help the world" - why are you specifically interested in what chemE does, compared to e.g. mechanical engineering or fine art? Likewise "global warming" is a vast issue; how do you think chemical engineering can make a difference here? Also, what are your thoughts on the fact that an area closely connected with chemical engineering, namely the oil and gas industry, is the primary driver of anthropogenic climate change? Finally, why chemE as oppose to e.g. earth sciences, climate science, oceaongraphy etc?

These questions incidentally aren't meant to come across as an interrogation, more some things for you to think about :smile: Something possibly related and of interest may be this article: https://brightside.me/wonder-curiosities/a-woman-invented-a-new-kind-of-plastic-that-biodegrades-in-water-and-its-a-step-oceans-are-crying-for-724110/

You might also like to think, for that article, about the limitations of this "new plastic"; plastic sheeting and coverings are often used to keep things waterproof, for which this "new plastic" is useless. Even for e.g. shopping bags, in climates with a lot of rain (such as the UK, and many tropical countries during the rainy season), the quick degradation time may be a negative as it could make the bags more likely to break while carrying if they get wet (or if something spills inside). Do you think this will limit the usefulness of this product, and will it be able to make a significant difference in combating plastic pollution in oceans?
I would note that there is not a great deal of chemistry in chemical engineering; relatively little in fact. Most of the chemistry there is will be physical chemistry (thermodynamics, stuff about reaction rates etc). ChemE is mostly maths and physics-y topics (e.g. thermodynamics again, moving sometimes into more physics-y statistical mechanics, plus differential equations and fluid dynamics). You might like to consider materials science/engineering as well, as that can sometimes include more chemistry content and is fairly mathematical otherwise (but also involves a fair amount of physics).

Your other point are extremely general; lots of sectors make "products to help the world" - why are you specifically interested in what chemE does, compared to e.g. mechanical engineering or fine art? Likewise "global warming" is a vast issue; how do you think chemical engineering can make a difference here? Also, what are your thoughts on the fact that an area closely connected with chemical engineering, namely the oil and gas industry, is the primary driver of anthropogenic climate change? Finally, why chemE as oppose to e.g. earth sciences, climate science, oceaongraphy etc?

These questions incidentally aren't meant to come across as an interrogation, more some things for you to think about :smile: Something possibly related and of interest may be this article: https://brightside.me/wonder-curiosities/a-woman-invented-a-new-kind-of-plastic-that-biodegrades-in-water-and-its-a-step-oceans-are-crying-for-724110/

You might also like to think, for that article, about the limitations of this "new plastic"; plastic sheeting and coverings are often used to keep things waterproof, for which this "new plastic" is useless. Even for e.g. shopping bags, in climates with a lot of rain (such as the UK, and many tropical countries during the rainy season), the quick degradation time may be a negative as it could make the bags more likely to break while carrying if they get wet (or if something spills inside). Do you think this will limit the usefulness of this product, and will it be able to make a significant difference in combating plastic pollution in oceans?

I chose ChemE instead because it has more of my interests. Also should I use that article as an example in my personal statement
I chose ChemE instead because it has more of my interests. Also should I use that article as an example in my personal statement

You are somewhat missing my point, which is that you need to indicate your specific interests in the subject in your personal statement, rather than vague assertions you are interested in it. You've not really indicated any particular reason why you are actually interested in chemE - more or less just that you picked it because you're resigned to continuing your education and someone suggested it to you so you went with that first suggestion.
You are somewhat missing my point, which is that you need to indicate your specific interests in the subject in your personal statement, rather than vague assertions you are interested in it. You've not really indicated any particular reason why you are actually interested in chemE - more or less just that you picked it because you're resigned to continuing your education and someone suggested it to you so you went with that first suggestion.

More or less because it suits my boots. I can't really change it because I already am nearly done with the personal statement. I can't really do anything about changing as I am way too late and I am also in second year of college. So I am pretty doomed.
Reply 19
I agree with everyone else on here. Remember your personal statement is about YOU. Talk about why you chose that subject in the first place. You talk about global warming and materials but that's a large field.

In my opinion, picking a subject just because someone recommended it to you is just not right. Take a look at the modules of the courses you are applying for (you can find this on the university webpage) and see which module sounds interesting. Remember you will be studying this for 3-4 years, make sure you love the subject. Maybe you can do some research about the modules you found interesting and mention that in your personal statement?

I can use the topics that you suggested and write a personal statement for Mechanical Engineering as it will still include stuff about materials, manufacturing, sustainable energy which I can relate to global warming. The other guys in this thread gave great advice which I would totally follow.

The fields you are talking about are huge, you need to get in more depth and find your niche in the field if that makes sense. The Admission Tutors will easily notice any generic personal statement. I mean everyone says they're passionate and want to help the world.

As for the books you've asked, here's one I found related to Materials:

"Sustainable Materials - With Both Eyes Open by Julian Allwood and Jonathan Cullen"

This book is a free download so here's the link: http://withbotheyesopen.com/read.php

If you want to take a look at other Engineering books that may interest you here's the link to the Cambridge Engineering Reading List. They've got some amazing books on there and a few are free to download.

Engineering Reading List: https://www.admissions.eng.cam.ac.uk/information/reading

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending