The Student Room Group

Question

The other day I went out shopping with a friend (female) who I've known for years and she brought her other friend (female) who I've met twice maybe. I was getting ready at my house and asked the 2 friends opinions on my outfit, it consisted of a pink and white striped ralph lauren shirt and skinny jeans (see pics). I was debating whether to wear my top button done up with the collar down, have a couple of buttons undone and wear my collar up or, jokingly, button up with the collar up too. My friend said collar up and unbuttoned but the new girl said, and I quote, "why would you wear it like either of those options?" Saying one looks like I should be wearing a tie (I LOVE wearing ties) and the other like I'm about to put one on but I can't find it. Sounds legit but her tone was so rude and she said I was weird.

I usually wear smart shirts to work and casually and my rule is if I'm buttoned up the collar is down, if I'm unbuttoned then the collar is up. I've never had anytjing but positive reaction to my 'style' before but I'm now thinking people think I'm weird. Any thoughts?

Posted this before but it's permanently stuck in awaiting moderator review.
20191105_175302.jpg20191105_175244.jpg
Original post by gabriellaverde
20191105_175302.jpg20191105_175244.jpg

Excuse me? You're pretty and you don't need validation from others. She might be jealous; you look great with either option
Original post by SeverusESnape
Excuse me? You're pretty and you don't need validation from others. She might be jealous; you look great with either option

Thank you. It shouldn't bother me.but her tone was really really off putting. Wondered what her reaction would be if i did wear a tie lol
Thank you. It shouldn't bother me.but her tone was really really off putting. Wondered what her reaction would be if i did wear a tie lol

She would get turned on cuz you'd look like a zaddy :wink:. No seriously you look great and shouldn't care about what other pessimistic people have to say
She would get turned on cuz you'd look like a zaddy :wink:. No seriously you look great and shouldn't care about what other pessimistic people have to say

Lol what is a zaddy?
Lol what is a zaddy?

Screenshot_20191107-144916_Samsung Internet-compressed.jpg.jpeg
Screenshot_20191107-144916_Samsung Internet-compressed.jpg.jpeg

I see, I assume that it applies to girls too as there's nothing mascluline about me even in a shirt and tie.

I doubt she was seeing me that way (wouldn't mind though as she's stunning)
I see, I assume that it applies to girls too as there's nothing mascluline about me even in a shirt and tie.

I doubt she was seeing me that way (wouldn't mind though as she's stunning)

Yeah it kinda applies to girls too lmao
I feel like this was posted purely for attention as you're not really asking a question as such.

Are you asking if we think your style is weird? No. But you shouldn't care anyway. Wear what you want and ignore what people say.
Original post by Precious Illusions
I feel like this was posted purely for attention as you're not really asking a question as such.

Are you asking if we think your style is weird? No. But you shouldn't care anyway. Wear what you want and ignore what people say.

In reality I guess i'm looking for thoughts as opposed to answers or attention.
Just wear what you like, if you want to wear a shirt with a tie then go for it. It's not a style I'd wear personally but I like it when people are prepared to go for a unique or unconventional look. The shirt looks good anyway- also liked the one I just saw in another thread- the white one with yellow, orange and pink stripes.
Original post by Alesha1991
Just wear what you like, if you want to wear a shirt with a tie then go for it. It's not a style I'd wear personally but I like it when people are prepared to go for a unique or unconventional look. The shirt looks good anyway- also liked the one I just saw in another thread- the white one with yellow, orange and pink stripes.

This one?

20180401_203825.jpg
This one?

20180401_203825.jpg

Yes, that's the one.:smile:
Yes, that's the one.:smile:

Thank you, glad to get a female response haha. I love that shirt but I don't wear it often as I find myself intending to wear colours but going for white, black or blue instead.

This is me in a shirt and tie, would love your opinion even though it's not your style.20191108_123209.png
Thank you, glad to get a female response haha. I love that shirt but I don't wear it often as I find myself intending to wear colours but going for white, black or blue instead.

This is me in a shirt and tie, would love your opinion even though it's not your style.20191108_123209.png

I prefer your more colourful shirts tbh- I'm sure they could look good with a tie as well. The plain white shirt/ black tie combo is smart and everything but it looks too close to some sort of uniform for me. Still, if you like it that's what matters.
I prefer your more colourful shirts tbh- I'm sure they could look good with a tie as well. The plain white shirt/ black tie combo is smart and everything but it looks too close to some sort of uniform for me. Still, if you like it that's what matters.

Looking through old pics literally all of them of me in ties is in a white shirt with coloured hair (i dye my hair a lot)or a coloured tie. The only different one is wearing a blue shirt and striped tie for school disco.

Btw which look is best; unbuttoned and collar up, collar down and buttoned up or collar up and buttoned up?

20171119_114619.jpg20180107_224807.jpg20180107_224242.jpg

Quick Reply

Latest