The Student Room Group

History or geography gcse?

I have to pick my gcse options soon and I want to pick either history or geography. I am currently really enjoying geography and I find it really interesting however I have found some of the topics quite boring and I don't particularly enjoy fieldwork. I am also enjoying history at the moment, especially because I really like the current topic. I have looked at the topics on the gcse course and they look quite interesting however I have heard that gcse history can be quite boring and hard. Also I don't particularly enjoy writing long answers, and even though it is a part of both subjects, I think it is more in history than geography. I would be really grateful for some advice. In case it is relevant, history is edexcel and geography is eduqas. Thanks :smile:

Scroll to see replies

I am doing history and not geography for my gcses. Although I think geography was definitely easier in year 9 and I actually did better in that end of year than history (oops!!). However, history for me, despite being harder, is a lot more interesting and I much prefer learning about historical events and interpretations than rocks. Geography is basically an easier science whereas history is a self standing subject that is useful as it is an essay based subject (these are needed to go into quite a few jobs) so it keeps your options open. I knew I would be happier working towards a better grade in history and as for it being boring, it depends on your course, so take a look at the syllabus. Also, I promise the essay writing becomes easier as it can be boiled down to a formula for most question types.
I would go for which ever one you'd personally be interested in learning and gives you a variety with other subjects you are doing - good luck choosing!!
I picked my options last year.
Unfortunately all subjects have some sort of writing component to them, but I think both geography and history are good.
One thing to consider is what you want to do in the future. Then think about which subject you'll actually enjoy doing, which will seem hard, but take the time you need to. When are you finalising your choices?
Original post by roseabates
I am doing history and not geography for my gcses. Although I think geography was definitely easier in year 9 and I actually did better in that end of year than history (oops!!). However, history for me, despite being harder, is a lot more interesting and I much prefer learning about historical events and interpretations than rocks. Geography is basically an easier science whereas history is a self standing subject that is useful as it is an essay based subject (these are needed to go into quite a few jobs) so it keeps your options open. I knew I would be happier working towards a better grade in history and as for it being boring, it depends on your course, so take a look at the syllabus. Also, I promise the essay writing becomes easier as it can be boiled down to a formula for most question types.
I would go for which ever one you'd personally be interested in learning and gives you a variety with other subjects you are doing - good luck choosing!!

Yeah.
For me it was a little easier as I knew from year 7 that history was for me, but I get that not everyone makes that decision that easily.
Also, I'm doing Eduqas history so if you do end up picking it, I'll be ready to answer any of your questions or provide you with helpful resources.
:console::cyber:
I did history and I was getting 3 throughout the full year 11. I was so scared for the gcse coz I wasn’t really focused on history so much coz I thought I would do bad anyway. I always hated it. But when I started revising the week before I realised it’s literally like learning story lines. I ended up getting a 7, 2 marks from an 8. I feel like geography is very science based so if your good at that then go for it, I’m still shocked at my grade coz I genuinely despise history( sorry if you like it) and I’ve literally forgotten it all lol
Good luck with whatever choice you choose 😊
Original post by GCSE_beginner
Yeah.
For me it was a little easier as I knew from year 7 that history was for me, but I get that not everyone makes that decision that easily.

Yeah lol I never really took to geography, history is just so much more interesting!!
Original post by roseabates
Yeah lol I never really took to geography, history is just so much more interesting!!

The weird thing is that even though I knew I wasn't going to do geography the year after, I still worked hard during the lessons and made notes. :confused: Don't know why:dontknow:
The weird thing is that even though I knew I wasn't going to do geography the year after, I still worked hard during the lessons and made notes. :confused: Don't know why:dontknow:

me too, but mainly because I really hate failing...
History is easy if you learn the content and the general formula for writing essay questions as it's so universal in all the papers. I got an 8 in my GCSE this year and I'm now doing it for A-level so it is definitely possible to do well despite the essays. That being said, 1 person got a 9 and 2 people got 8s in my year (myself included) because the majority of people who took it hated it. You do have to be willing to put in the work but it is so rewarding seeing you've written a Level 4 essay!
I never studied Geography so I don't know what that's like but I hated it in Year 7 and 8 so knew History was the way to go. I found all the topics really interesting (Cold War, Medicine, Germany and Henry VIII) but it's down to what you'll enjoy more and perhaps what you can see yourself taking at A-level (I know that's a long way off but comes round quickly trust me!)
I do history and I really like all the topics, the essays you have to write for GCSE are not really that long anyway so that shouldn’t be a problem. I can’t say much about geography but most of my friends who do both prefer history, I would say if u r more scientific pick geography, if u r good at English pick history. That isn’t necessarily how you should choose so I would just reccomend doing the one you prefer as you will have to study it for 2 years 😊
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 11
some ppl i know chose both history and geography i for one love history but in history if you do aqa you get it different compared to others for example i dont do germany i do health, america,coldwar and elizabeth
I study History and I love it, I really reccommend it! My topics are very interesting, but it depends on what your school offers how much you might enjoy the course. It's also good to think about the teacher - an enthusiastic/fun one will make any subject interesting. As for writing long answers, it is true you do have to write a lot but not as much as people think. I also do edexcel and you're advised to spend 5 mins per 4 marks, meaning that for an 8 mark question you only write about 2 paragraphs for 10 mins. I don't do geography, but my friends say it can be a lot to remember and the physical side of things can be a little boring. :smile:
o

Original post by Emily~3695
I do history and I really like all the topics, the sassy you have to write for GCSE are not really that long anyway so that shouldn’t be a problem. I can’t say much about geography but most of my friends who do both prefer history, I would say if u r more scientific pick geography, if u r good at English pick history. That isn’t necessarily how you should choose so I would just reccomend doing the one you prefer as you will have to study it for 2 years 😊

or three if you picked your GCSEs in year 8 like me
I think that it is different for everyone but even then, I've only just got used to the GCSE syllabuses for the subjects I took
Original post by India722
I have to pick my gcse options soon and I want to pick either history or geography. I am currently really enjoying geography and I find it really interesting however I have found some of the topics quite boring and I don't particularly enjoy fieldwork. I am also enjoying history at the moment, especially because I really like the current topic. I have looked at the topics on the gcse course and they look quite interesting however I have heard that gcse history can be quite boring and hard. Also I don't particularly enjoy writing long answers, and even though it is a part of both subjects, I think it is more in history than geography. I would be really grateful for some advice. In case it is relevant, history is edexcel and geography is eduqas. Thanks :smile:

choose history if you're good at English as there's a lot of writing for it. choose Geography if you like the News and like to know how rivers beaches are formed and information about the world. There's not as much writing in Geography as there is in History.
Also, I'm doing Eduqas history so if you do end up picking it, I'll be ready to answer any of your questions or provide you with helpful resources.
:console::cyber:

AAAHHHH I just realised that History is Edexcel not Eduqas for you.
DAMNNNNN:angry::banghead:
But I can still help!
It depends on what topics you’re doing. Personally, I absolutely loved history, it was one of my favourite subjects and I was always happy when I saw it on my timetable. I didn’t take it further as I had options I wanted to do instead but it was a great subject. I did have a great class and an even better teacher so that obviously contributed but still, I found it very interesting. I couldn’t tell you from a geography stand point, but history was great for me!
do both
If you like writing and want to do well in English then history is your option having said that geography does offer writing opportunities and the exams can be fluked if there is some knowledge of the case studies making the exams easier

I do Geo btw :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 19
Surprisingly enough, you have to remember wayy more content in geography than in history so if retaining information isn't something you're good at then history would be the easier option. Geography was the GCSE I did the most revision on out of all of mine; it was intense but I loved it!

Quick Reply

Latest