The Student Room Group

Quantum computing EPQ question

So i have just started my EPQ at the beginning of yr 12 and i have decided to do an EPQ about quantum computing as i am interested in physics and computer science.

I have come up with a possible question: Why are quantum computers the biggest leap in computer science history so far?. I dont want to do this question as im not interested in the history of CS.

I want to do something to do with quantum coding on the IBM backdoor access using Qiskit or something. Anyone have any ideas for possible questions?
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Original post by MagnusJaques

quantum computers the biggest leap in computer science history

This is very subjective, quantum computing solves some problems, but not all. There are some computational problems where quantum computing is fairly useless hence im not sure it is the biggest leap forward.

You might want to look at the relative impact quantum computing will have will have on comp sci and computational engineering & science, and how is this relative to other advancements in computational analysis.

for example the use of high-chip count machines for solving analytical problems, this has certainly had a larger impact on scientific research than quantum computing, as for certain problems its the sheer amount of unique calculations to be solved is the bigger issue rather than the complexity of 1 individual piece of maths (particularly in matrix based calculations, with millions of nodes...). In this respect graphics cards used by gamers could have had a larger impact then quantum computing (and it certainly has since the amount of FDM,FVM,FEM analysis has exploded).

Some maybe try a weighted analysis of different innovations within computer science and compare them?
Original post by mnot
This is very subjective, quantum computing solves some problems, but not all. There are some computational problems where quantum computing is fairly useless hence im not sure it is the biggest leap forward.

You might want to look at the relative impact quantum computing will have will have on comp sci and computational engineering & science, and how is this relative to other advancements in computational analysis.

for example the use of high-chip count machines for solving analytical problems, this has certainly had a larger impact on scientific research than quantum computing, as for certain problems its the sheer amount of unique calculations to be solved is the bigger issue rather than the complexity of 1 individual piece of maths (particularly in matrix based calculations, with millions of nodes...). In this respect graphics cards used by gamers could have had a larger impact then quantum computing (and it certainly has since the amount of FDM,FVM,FEM analysis has exploded).

Some maybe try a weighted analysis of different innovations within computer science and compare them?

yeah I have already changed my question to "is there a place for quantum computing in the modern world as this would be a more appropriate question in the topic of new quantum advancements and technology. I am doing a-level physics so i am interested in the quantum physics side of it rather than the sociology and ethical impacts.

I also just need something that I can write in bulk about as i need another few thousand words so any suggestions on them would be welcomed.
yeah I have already changed my question to "is there a place for quantum computing in the modern world as this would be a more appropriate question in the topic of new quantum advancements and technology. I am doing a-level physics so i am interested in the quantum physics side of it rather than the sociology and ethical impacts.

I also just need something that I can write in bulk about as i need another few thousand words so any suggestions on them would be welcomed.

writing a few thousand words shouldn't be that hard for something this open ended tbh.

I would say you should focus on keeping the quality throughout the report to a good standard, you can fill 1000 words on less than 2 sides of a4 in like size 10 test, so I would just focus on developing good content and let the word count sort itself out.
Original post by mnot
writing a few thousand words shouldn't be that hard for something this open ended tbh.

I would say you should focus on keeping the quality throughout the report to a good standard, you can fill 1000 words on less than 2 sides of a4 in like size 10 test, so I would just focus on developing good content and let the word count sort itself out.

Hi, thanks for the response sorry it took so long to get back to you.

Since then I have done a bunch of research in the area of quantum computing and think that I am going to talk about how there is a place for classical computers and quantum computers but also the ethical impacts especially around hash RSA encrytion and prime factorisation and about what could happen if this power come into the wrong hands. I will also write about how they have to run in tandem to binary computers as they will reach their limit as transistor sizes decrease to such a small level that they become redundant.
Reply 6
So i have just started my EPQ at the beginning of yr 12 and i have decided to do an EPQ about quantum computing as i am interested in physics and computer science.

I have come up with a possible question: Why are quantum computers the biggest leap in computer science history so far?. I dont want to do this question as im not interested in the history of CS.

I want to do something to do with quantum coding on the IBM backdoor access using Qiskit or something. Anyone have any ideas for possible questions?

Hi,
You might not see this as this was so long ago but what did you end up doing? I’m kind of in the same boat at the moment :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest