The Student Room Group

Should I do computer science or physics at uni?

Hey!

I'm in Year 12 and I really enjoyed Radioactivity and Particles in physics, so I thought that I could go study that at uni. However, all undergrad courses have a wide range of topics that aren't limited to particle physics :-( I dont dislike the other units in physics, but I would prefer it if I only had to do particle physics/radioactivity. As for computer science, I've enjoyed every bit of it, but not as much as I enjoyed radioactivity. I just generally like computers, haha.

I was just so sure that I wanted to go into radiology earlier this year and now that I'm further into the physics A/L course I'm starting to doubt my enthusiasm in the subject. Now, I'm scared to pursue it in uni; I'll be spending at least another 3-4 years on my chosen subject, so I want to make sure I choose the RIGHT one that doesn't sap away at my lifeforce.

How can I be more sure of what I want to go into in university?
Original post by waxworm
Hey!

I'm in Year 12 and I really enjoyed Radioactivity and Particles in physics, so I thought that I could go study that at uni. However, all undergrad courses have a wide range of topics that aren't limited to particle physics :-( I dont dislike the other units in physics, but I would prefer it if I only had to do particle physics/radioactivity. As for computer science, I've enjoyed every bit of it, but not as much as I enjoyed radioactivity. I just generally like computers, haha.

I was just so sure that I wanted to go into radiology earlier this year and now that I'm further into the physics A/L course I'm starting to doubt my enthusiasm in the subject. Now, I'm scared to pursue it in uni; I'll be spending at least another 3-4 years on my chosen subject, so I want to make sure I choose the RIGHT one that doesn't sap away at my lifeforce.

How can I be more sure of what I want to go into in university?

I massively struggled between two subjects for Uni. It's good that you're thinking about this in Y12 though, I left mine very late!!

I was between Geography and Psychology (which I dont actually take for A level) After doing an EPQ in pyschology I really liked this small section of it and made me want to study it at Uni, I was super convinced I was going to and went to open days looking at Psychology alone. However, I also realised just how much of the courses have so much more than just that section. I knew that in the back of my mind I loved a wider range of Geography, but I wasn't sure I liked it enough. Then I went to an open day and gave the Geography course talk a go and I absaloutely loved it and realised why I chose Geography for A level.

I really suggest that you find a course that you love the look of and makes you excited to go and makes you work hard to achieve the grades you need. Don't worry too much about which one just yet and look at lots of courses for both. I'm sure you will trully realise which one you want to do after checking out different courses.
Reply 2
Particle physics in A-level is basically just learning the properties of a bunch of particles and recognising certain basic conservation laws. At uni it's not really like that, it doesn't exist in isolation of everything else (e.g. you would be using things like special relativity and quantum mechanics). Also, do you enjoy the practical side of it? Experiments and measurements and uncertainties and all that?
Honestly it depends on what you want to do. I know many people who have studied physics and ended up in roles as software engineers and I know many who did computer science who are struggling to land a job.

I would say physics is the more flexible option - but to get anywhere explicitly within physics you will need to do postgraduate study.

All physics courses cover a wide range of topics to which you then go on to specalise in your masters or PhD. A lot of topics covered are somewhat related though and are good for building your foundations.

Quick Reply

Latest