The Student Room Group

Accidentally ran a red light

I accidentally ran a red light while driving, as it was dark so I didn’t see the big puddle just before the lights, causing a big splash and me not seeing that the light was red. As I went over the crossing it changed to orange then green. The light only had one of those small black monitoring cameras on it and there was no flash or police around. Do you think I will get away with it? I can’t afford to get any more points as I already have 9 for accidentally speeding (don’t ask) 🤦🏼*♀️
(edited 4 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I think you will have to wait and see.
You could take it to court
Reply 3
Do you think I will get caught or will I be okay as it’s not a proper camera that’s on there?
Original post by XDaJokerz
You could take it to court
Reply 4
Original post by Lauradarbyy
I accidentally ran a red light while driving, as it was dark so I didn’t see the big puddle just before the lights, causing a big splash and me not seeing that the light was red. As I went over the crossing it changed to orange then green. The light only had one of those small black monitoring cameras on it and there was no flash or police around. Do you think I will get away with it? I can’t afford to get any more points as I already have 9 for accidentally speeding (don’t ask) 🤦🏼*♀️

You "accidentally" must have got your driving licence too.
Reply 5
5279286E-55A0-4D43-A753-C597C4102D10.jpgE27D3C4B-97EA-421F-87E0-CD2F701E895B.jpgThis is the lights and camera.
Reply 6
You should be fine I went through a red pedestrian crossing light with only a small monitor thing on the top and didn’t get anything
Reply 7
Original post by IWMTom
You "accidentally" must have got your driving licence too.

Very funny. It was so rainy and dark I didn’t see the puddle which splashed so I didn’t see the light. Complete accident.
Reply 8
Very funny. It was so rainy and dark I didn’t see the puddle which splashed so I didn’t see the light. Complete accident.

And the three times you've been caught speeding? Were they caused by a puddle splashing the speed limit sign?

I think he was referring to your three times speeding "accidentally" prior to this. If getting points didn't teach you a lesson, perhaps it would be safer for everyone if you weren't driving?
Accidentally speeding... That's a new one.

As for the accidental RLJ, you're safe.

One more traffic offence like that and that's your licence gone. Either take the hint to stop driving or take extra care.

How much is your insurance and what's your age? Just curious.
Reply 11
Original post by black tea
I think he was referring to your three times speeding "accidentally" prior to this. If getting points didn't teach you a lesson, perhaps it would be safer for everyone if you weren't driving?

Bang on.
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Accidentally speeding... That's a new one.

As for the accidental RLJ, you're safe.

One more traffic offence like that and that's your licence gone. Either take the hint to stop driving or take extra care.

How much is your insurance and what's your age? Just curious.

I just wasn’t aware that new speed cameras had been installed and was trying to look where I was going as I was lost and was driving at the same speed as other traffic around me so yes it was my fault but I wasn’t intentionally speeding.
I drive very sensibly and have a black box to prove it. My insurance isn’t too expensive really.
Do you really think I’m safe?
God... they sting youngsters terribly. I drive a French tank in a deprived area but gladly... the local cabbies taught me. Assertive but defensive... always. Needs to become you... an extension of your body.
I just wasn’t aware that new speed cameras had been installed

You do realise that the speed limit is set by speed signs, not speed cameras, right?
I just wasn’t aware that new speed cameras had been installed and was trying to look where I was going as I was lost and was driving at the same speed as other traffic around me so yes it was my fault but I wasn’t intentionally speeding.
I drive very sensibly and have a black box to prove it. My insurance isn’t too expensive really.
Do you really think I’m safe?

You, as a driver, have a responsibility to make sure you're not speeding at any time - regardless to if there is a speed camera present or not.

And yes, what you've described and pointed out is a proximity sensor.
Original post by black tea
You do realise that the speed limit is set by speed signs, not speed cameras, right?

Yes I do but some roads it is difficult to tell and the signs are sometimes obstructed
You, as a driver, have a responsibility to make sure you're not speeding at any time - regardless to if there is a speed camera present or not.

And yes, what you've described and pointed out is a proximity sensor.

Yes definitely and I am much more aware of limits now and have an app that tells me.
Thankyou for your help, my mind is put at ease
Yes definitely and I am much more aware of limits now and have an app that tells me.
Thankyou for your help, my mind is put at ease

No worries :yy:

Waze is a good app for it, if you haven't got that already.
No worries :yy:

Waze is a good app for it, if you haven't got that already.

Yeah that’s the one I use, it’s fab

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending