The Student Room Group

Are you for or against school uniform?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Tizzytizzie
I personally really like a blazer (I had one). If it looked nice, I wouldn’t mind a tie.

It looks professional, smart... like it actually has a purpose. I love the whole idea of uniform.

Depends on how you’d dress/what you’d wear with the polo. Could like incredibly dull... or it could be alright 🤷*♀️ Could depend of the season as-well/time of year.

Agreed
Original post by lia_r18
I'm for it, but the current uniform does need modifications... I would much rather wear a jumper/cardigan than a blazer (the amount of times I had to go home with a ripped blazer was unbelievable and jumpers are cheaper to replace if needs be).

Lol my old school is one the very few schools wear you don't have to wear the school blazer (the jumper on own would be good enough however you had to wear on of them and it didn't matter which one) it even go to the point where all of the kids would come in school with no jumper or blazer and they would never get told off...
Original post by Simon0276
I think blazer and tie is far better and is actually uniform a polo shirt with a badge in my view ain't uniform.

It still is but just not as smart... Still for school uniform though uniform over British dress code for sure
Original post by lia_r18
I'm for it, but the current uniform does need modifications... I would much rather wear a jumper/cardigan than a blazer (the amount of times I had to go home with a ripped blazer was unbelievable and jumpers are cheaper to replace if needs be).

For my school sixth formers wear cardigans and the younger years wear blazer and I totally agree with you for cardigans and they look nicer BUT THEY HAVE NO POCKETS THATS A FATAL FLAW
Original post by 1st superstar
Lol my old school is one the very few schools wear you don't have to wear the school blazer (the jumper on own would be good enough however you had to wear on of them and it didn't matter which one) it even go to the point where all of the kids would come in school with no jumper or blazer and they would never get told off...

My school was one of those schools where you had to ask to remove the blazer ,before you could actually take it off 🤦. My way around it was if I turned up already not wearing it (but carrying it with me), who am I going to ask 😂.
how did u wear ur tie in school?? if it was tight wouldn't it look really bad if it was pulled. I'm actually still wearing my tie lol

I wore it so it had a big enough knot to hide the fact I didn't have my top button done up.
what did u do with ur uniform when u finnished

I still have my uniform, it's in the cupboard somewhere.
Original post by iBearHQ
I still have my uniform, it's in the cupboard somewhere.

lol u ever wore it since leaving??
Original post by Greywolftwo
For, I don’t really care. Yes it might be annoying and uncomfortable and make me look ugly and fat but I don’t mind. Don’t know why they let you wear your own clothes in sixth form, I think it’s so you are prepared for uni or something

my sixth form insist on 'smart wear' which has really annoyed us year 12s
we cant even wear trainers!
Reply 49
As a kid I was against, but getting older I realise it makes things easier. It stops you being judged for dressing a certain way. Kids may be bullied for wearing “cheap” clothes or for wearing clothes others don’t find fashionable. It just helps everyone feel more similar, and while this doesn’t provide practice for adulthood it just helps make a kid’s life easier as this is the age at which others can be cruel about things as (usually) insignificant as fashion.
Original post by emilyegould
I’m personally against, from secondary school onwards. Primary school should certainly have a uniform (as at least personally, I was in charge of all of my clothing choices and they were atrocious.) I do, however, think that it should be at least an informal workwear level of clothing, but uniform can be uncomfortable in different weather conditions etc.

the issue is that from secondary onwards is where people become more judgemental. say someone is poor and doesnt have enough money to buy the next jordans or vans etc it leads to seperation of groups and judgement in schools and that leads to low self esteem and mental health issues. on top of that uniform provides a sense of discipline and prepares you for the real world where you most probably will have to dress smartly or even wear a uniform. about uniform being uncomfortable can you provide an example please?
lol u ever wore it since leaving??

nope lol
Original post by iBearHQ
nope lol

never been tempted. lol. I reckon I would
I'm for it but I think it need to be a bit less formal and blazers shouldn't be mandatory cause they are bloody expensive.
Original post by Kaffee_1998
I'm for it but I think it need to be a bit less formal and blazers shouldn't be mandatory cause they are bloody expensive.

what do you mean a bit less formal?? do you think schools should have a school tie or drop all of that and go to a polo shirt
For but they should be less strict. In my school we HAD to wear trousers, shirt, tie, jumper (in the winter) and a blazer. Like erm...In my primary school we were allowed polo shirts in the summer, much better. Like we had to ask permission in blazing heat to take our ties off and we still had to wear our blazer. I think it should be simple - white shirt, black leather shoes and black trousers. Done. LOL
Original post by MrMusician95
For but they should be less strict. In my school we HAD to wear trousers, shirt, tie, jumper (in the winter) and a blazer. Like erm...In my primary school we were allowed polo shirts in the summer, much better. Like we had to ask permission in blazing heat to take our ties off and we still had to wear our blazer. I think it should be simple - white shirt, black leather shoes and black trousers. Done. LOL

you need something to show what school you go to. hence the tie
you need something to show what school you go to. hence the tie

True, in primary school our polo shirts had the school's logo on them.
Original post by MrMusician95
True, in primary school our polo shirts had the school's logo on them.

so do you think all schools should ditch the tie and have a polo shirt instead or do you think the tie and blazer looks better
so do you think all schools should ditch the tie and have a polo shirt instead or do you think the tie and blazer looks better

Tie and blazer look more professional but when I was in secondary school we didn't need to look professional. I think the same about work, employees should be able to dress for comfort - within reason.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending