The Student Room Group

The Law of Attraction - opinions?

Someone I know recently suggested that I read The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. They said it had made a positive impact on their life and that I should read it with an open mind.

I bought it and started reading it almost immediately, as the mysterious title had got me curious. I realised that the "secret" was the Law of Attraction and that I had never actually properly looked into what that term meant. I always thought it was something to do with physical appreance/beauty/dating so I just skimmed over it, and then when I actually started reading this book I've realised what it actually means.

I've heard similar things before, like for like, karma, you get what you put out into the world etc. etc. I've never believed in karma, but do believe that you can't get if you don't give (generally, there's always coincidental good fortune).

However, reading this book kind of rubbed me up the wrong way. I felt a little irked with the writers constantly saying that whatever has come your way in life, it's because you have attracted it. They do address the controversial nature of this, but never actually go on to explain it very well. I keep trying to reset my mind and approach it very openly, but can't ignore the fact I feel like I'm reading mumbo jumbo, or something that doesn't really apply to everyone.

I'm only half way through the book, but I don't mind spoilers as it isn't a novel.

TL;TR: what are your opinions on the Law of Attraction?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
The writer and publishers are attracting a lot of gullible people to part with their money!
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
The writer and publishers are attracting a lot of gullible people to part with their money!

Have a feeling this’ll be the general consensus! I think I’m just intrigued by the idea but feeling a little annoyed about the implications and wondered if anyone who follows the LOA actually believes it all!
Reply 3
Original post by Wirt
Have a feeling this’ll be the general consensus! I think I’m just intrigued by the idea but feeling a little annoyed about the implications and wondered if anyone who follows the LOA actually believes it all!

I've seen people on tv and in the Daily Fail (nuff said) who claim they've gained something by attraction/wishing and honestly believe it. However, it is just a mixture of life coaching, common sense and hard work. Like the woman who was full of the fact that she had successfully wished for a boyfriend; however, she hadn't just sat back waiting for someone to approach her, she signed up to various dating apps and went speed dating. Just like other people do, without all the law of attraction guff!
can you imagine if the law of attraction were real? christ it would be scary. you'd have maniacs that hate the human species and would want nothing more than their extinction. then according to the law of attraction, this would become reality somehow
Reply 5
I think because I’d been recommended it by so many people I know, and it’s all completely new to me, I thought I was missing something or being a sceptical grouch for not getting it.

Of course, I’m all for people thinking and doing things that help them! It’s just not for me.
i think there is alot of power in visualisations, affirmations, positive thinking, a story board etc mapped out
my concerns tho is not emphasising action and focusing on something too hard may just reinforce you lack it in the first place.
I fundamentally agree with the concept that you create your reality with your thoughts and beliefs. I've proven this to myself so many times and I actually keep a detailed logbook of the things I choose to manifest and record when they come to pass. I have no doubt in my mind that we are creative.

However, I do disagree with some of The Secret's tenets and how they're put across. Firstly, I don't agree with the notion that you must always be feeling good or be in a state of contentment to create what you desire. I have manifested things, sometimes within minutes, despite not feeling particularly joyous or at peace. What mattered was the unwavering certainty I had that my manifestations would occur, not my inner emotional state in general.

I do also agree that you have attracted everything in your life, including the bad. I see how this can rub people up the wrong way, but I do believe that it's meant to be an empowering message in that if you don't like what you've created (even if it's subconscious) then you can uncreate it or create something different. It's basically trying to say that everything's under your control and that the bad things that happen aren't due to some unavoidable part of life that just throws crap at you whether you like it or not.
(edited 4 years ago)
It's absolutely nonsense. If you can manifest whatever you want into your life by just sitting around and thinking, there is an element of privilege at play here. People born into poverty can't wish themselves out.
Original post by steamed-hams
i think there is alot of power in visualisations, affirmations, positive thinking, a story board etc mapped out
my concerns tho is not emphasising action and focusing on something too hard may just reinforce you lack it in the first place.

Pretty much agree with this. I've used some of these techniques and found them useful so I can go along with the Law of Attraction up to a point. However the idea that some people who are into this promote i.e that you can create your own reality purely by thinking about it, without taking the necessary actions makes no sense to me. If you take it to it's full extent you also end up basically saying that people who are dealing with bad situations in life somehow brought it on themselves, which seems completely wrong to me.
I don't believe in it in the spiritual sense. I do believe in it in the psychological sense.

It's essentially the self-fulfilling prophecy, and to enable it to a strong degree, you need to be able to control your thoughts and actions to that same level. People who fall victim to the law of attraction are the ones who are most desperate for a change. They'll start changing their way of thinking to get what they want or be who they are. It doesn't happen magically or supernaturally. The universe isn't suddenly throwing glitter and sunshine at you just because you want it. You're unconsciously/subconsciously doing what you know you need to do in order to get what you want. It takes baby steps, and most often you'll be totally unaware of the baby steps but will be fully aware of the end result when you get it. Because you neglect to be aware of the baby steps and the little things you did to get what you want, you'll think it was some omnipotent force in the universe who suddenly decided to grant you a wish just because you wished it.
Original post by Wirt
Someone I know recently suggested that I read The Secret by Rhonda Byrne. They said it had made a positive impact on their life and that I should read it with an open mind.

I bought it and started reading it almost immediately, as the mysterious title had got me curious. I realised that the "secret" was the Law of Attraction and that I had never actually properly looked into what that term meant. I always thought it was something to do with physical appreance/beauty/dating so I just skimmed over it, and then when I actually started reading this book I've realised what it actually means.

I've heard similar things before, like for like, karma, you get what you put out into the world etc. etc. I've never believed in karma, but do believe that you can't get if you don't give (generally, there's always coincidental good fortune).

However, reading this book kind of rubbed me up the wrong way. I felt a little irked with the writers constantly saying that whatever has come your way in life, it's because you have attracted it. They do address the controversial nature of this, but never actually go on to explain it very well. I keep trying to reset my mind and approach it very openly, but can't ignore the fact I feel like I'm reading mumbo jumbo, or something that doesn't really apply to everyone.

I'm only half way through the book, but I don't mind spoilers as it isn't a novel.

TL;TR: what are your opinions on the Law of Attraction?

Yes, the law of attraction is real.
But you have to have high spiritual intelligence to be aware of it, particularly your thoughts have a huge influence of what you attract.
I remember many times where when i was extremely angry, out of absolutely no where fire alarms would go off and light bulbs exploded for no reason.
If you are generally a happy person, you attract more positive events. In fact, you'll notice you can read the thoughts of your closest friends and family without even speaking.
Nobody knows exactly how the mechanism of telepathy works but some speculate that its the pineal gland in the brain which acts as an antenna. For me, thoughts of other people vibrates the nerves in my skin, whether i'm directly receiving information via the nerve or the pineal and brain directing a physical response i don't know
Reply 12
Original post by JokesOnYoo
I remember many times where when i was extremely angry, out of absolutely no where fire alarms would go off and light bulbs exploded for no reason.

And did your school burst into flames during your prom? :biggrin:
Original post by Surnia
And did your school burst into flames during your prom? :biggrin:

No, because i had and still have a girlfriend
How many mirrors do you have to replace in the morning? :biggrin:
Reply 14
No, because i had and still have a girlfriend
How many mirrors do you have to replace in the morning? :biggrin:

Why would I have to replace any mirrors?

At least I haven't replaced my sense of humour with a narky attitude...
Original post by Surnia
Why would I have to replace any mirrors?

At least I haven't replaced my sense of humour with a narky attitude...

Your mistake was the incorrect interpretation of your own remarks as 'humour'

Trolling, surely?
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Trolling, surely?

Nope, its true
Original post by Plantagenet Crown
Trolling, surely?

If you don't believe it, i've tested it multiple time and every time the same result
it probably has something to do with emission of EM radiation from thoughts

Dr. Emoto rice experiment
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 19
If you don't believe it, i've tested it multiple time and every time the same result
it probably has something to do with emission of EM radiation from thoughts

Dr. Emoto rice experiment

You explode light bulbs when you get angry? If you believe this to be true, why not contact scientists and show them what you can do?

Quick Reply

Latest