The Student Room Group

What did your life look like 5 years ago?

5 years ago , i started my new job about 2 months before this month , i started in October 2014

Scroll to see replies

5 years ago...I was still doing my degree, living with my ex (although we were together at the time), incredibly depressed and miserable. Life is slightly better now.
Was working in fast food, living in a crappy run down council flat with my partner.
Now I'm studying for a law degree living in a crappy run down student flat with my partner.

Still an improvement I guess. :h:
Suicide TW

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Was generally quite down, living in a crappy town with not much to do. Now, I'm graduating as a Radiographer this year, and I'm back in the city I love.
Original post by study beats
I attempted to end my life a few years ago

Did you receive help?
Reply 6
5 yrs ago - just started high school
4 yrs ago - recovered from bulimia
3 yrs ago - took my stress out on teachers ( got excluded 4 times )
2 yrs ago - became severely depressed out of nowhere
1 yr ago - did things to myself that i now regret
0 yrs ago ( this year ) - started a new college, i am the happiest i have been in years, i started going out with friends again, ive started my a levels and ive been getting As in mocks ( EVEN IN PHYSICS!!!! ). Realized that im not a burden and that i was capable of working towards my goals.
honestly it was pretty much the same as it is now...
Reply 8
I'd just graduated from a master's (literally to the day) and was a month and a bit into a PhD
Story times. Here's a thousand mistakes for everyone to learn from. It's a long one.

Spoiler

Was helping my parent care for their parent. My nan was very sick and at one point i moved in with her to look after her over night. Needless to say it was stressful for all involved and there were many emergency visits to hospital unfortunately.
Stanning Glee and playing Tanki Online.
Reply 12
5 years and a half? Kicked out of school, unlikely to get any GCSEs except maths and English, told I should prepare to become a bricklayer and forced to attend bricklaying classes, I was also in a very very dark period in my life, I was only in year 9. And putting me there was an unfair decision that they should’ve never made. Back then mental health issues, especially for guys were a tough thing to deal with, incredibly hard to be open about. The first half of year 10 was dreadful, I was in a school I didn’t belong in with nasty people, people who are convicted criminals now. I was forced to play football with them, one guy even had a police tag and at the time because I was going through a lot I had lost around 15kg in 6 months and that didn’t help when they’d come rushing at me... people used to pass the ball to me on purpose knowing I’d get attacked. At least I was smart enough to stay away from the pool table, the last person to beat this fatty called Muzzi ended up getting whacked with the pool stick, they passed out on the floor, had to call the ambulance. At least the windows had bars on them and the toilets needed a security pass + someone to stand outside, didn’t stop someone climbing out the window though

But just short of 5 years ago I was given another chance and let back into school! my little brother was born and it gave me new life. After just a few months back I did my Maths GCSE (our school did it early, so I missed most classes) and I bagged an A! I Got a few A’s at GCSEs and AAB at AS, sadly A-levels didn’t finish so great at BBB but I landed myself at a top UK university studying Economics :smile: I’ve also just recently started my own company. Mentally I’m much better, I can’t associate or understand that kind of pain anymore. I’ve grown so much and lived a very ambiguous life as things have always been unstable, but I used to my advantage now. Usually you can put people in a box (even if they try not to be in a box, that just puts them in a box of not wanting to be in one!) but I think people would struggle with me as I do myself, I never fail to shock and I think that’s what’s always motivated me. A shock to get kicked out, a shock to get myself back in and a shock to exceed expectations. If it’s expected of me, I struggle to do it (hence why A-levels dropped! That’s my theory anyway haha)
(edited 4 years ago)
It's weird cause I can hardly remember any of 2014 at all. All I remember is that it was a great year of training and I made so much progress in the gym that year.
I was in year 6 and actually enjoyed school and had real friends, lol. And I was happy
Original post by Obolinda
I was in year 6 and actually enjoyed school and had real friends, lol. And I was happy

Sorry you're not enjoying school any more :console:

Teenage girls can be very bit**y and I know because I was one, my daughter went through awful times with her "friendship" group during GCSEs and most of my friends with teenage girls are worried about them

Take care of yourself x
Original post by harrysbar
Sorry you're not enjoying school any more :console:

Teenage girls can be very bit**y and I know because I was one, my daughter went through awful times with her "friendship" group during GCSEs and most of my friends with teenage girls are worried about them

Take care of yourself x

Thank you :smile:
5 years ago I was at a comprehensive school getting below average grades.

Now I’ve just received an interview from Oxford university.
Original post by FemaleinDress
5 years ago , i started my new job about 2 months before this month , i started in October 2014

Would have been in Year 11, playing videogames every night with friends on long Skype calls :moon: and I guess doing a bit of revision for mocks? :dontknow:

I've always liked school, so it was a positive experience :yeah:
I was a drug addled depressed student failing my retake of first year.

Quick Reply

Latest