The Student Room Group

I feel like my life is just completely useless

I’m 21, male. Suffer with Anixety and as of recently OCD. Idk, I just feel like recently I’ve been so down. I feel like my life is just comeplelty useless. Everyone that comes in to it I do something to push them away. I’m scared to do simple things like phone a resteraunts to book a table or ask a waiter for a bill etc. I feel like im never good at anything I do. I tried golf and I couldn’t do it, football and im never good enough. Fishing which i also seem to mess up. Everything I do. I ruin my relationships. I had a perfect girlfriend about 5 years ago who I’ve never really gotten over. She’s met someone and has now had a child and loves with him. Like I have a current girlfriend now, but it’s just like I sit there and think how much of a different man I could have been if I diddnt **** things up with her. I don’t believe im a man at all, I believe im embarrassment, I cringe myself out and personal hi don’t deserve anyone. I can’t even do simple things like drive because even that my brain just seems to **** uo for me. I’m ashamed of myself. Im 21, and I like to pretend im this alpha male, but really im a ******* coward. And a wet wipe, and an embarrassment to myself in everything I do. Don’t really know how to pick myself back up to be honest.
Original post by Lucas.hh
I’m 21, male. Suffer with Anixety and as of recently OCD. Idk, I just feel like recently I’ve been so down. I feel like my life is just comeplelty useless. Everyone that comes in to it I do something to push them away. I’m scared to do simple things like phone a resteraunts to book a table or ask a waiter for a bill etc. I feel like im never good at anything I do. I tried golf and I couldn’t do it, football and im never good enough. Fishing which i also seem to mess up. Everything I do. I ruin my relationships. I had a perfect girlfriend about 5 years ago who I’ve never really gotten over. She’s met someone and has now had a child and loves with him. Like I have a current girlfriend now, but it’s just like I sit there and think how much of a different man I could have been if I diddnt **** things up with her. I don’t believe im a man at all, I believe im embarrassment, I cringe myself out and personal hi don’t deserve anyone. I can’t even do simple things like drive because even that my brain just seems to **** uo for me. I’m ashamed of myself. Im 21, and I like to pretend im this alpha male, but really im a ******* coward. And a wet wipe, and an embarrassment to myself in everything I do. Don’t really know how to pick myself back up to be honest.

I'm not a mental health expert, so you're better off speaking to a counsellor (and possibly a life coach). They will likely get you further than anyone on here (unless they work in mental healthy by profession).
Reply 2
You need to go see a doctor, and I'm not being mean or facetious.
Reply 3

Golf is hard. It's also kind of pointless so for a laugh, try to be deliberately crap at it. Make it your goal to take the most shots to get a hole. Best not to take life too seriously and also remember that you don't need talent to enjoy life. Jeremy Clarskon for example, has become successful for being an idiot.
I so useless I can't even get a girlfriend and never will, but I don't dwell on it. Gets me down sometimes but I wunk it off and carry on doing things I enjoy. Can only do your best which in my guess is a bit crap. Easier said than done I guess.
(edited 8 months ago)
All of those sports are not easy, it's nothing weird that you're not the best at them, but you don't have to be good at something do to it. What's the most important is that you enjoy doing it, so if you do, just keep doing it and you'll get better. And if you don't, try to find something else that you enjoy, it doesn't have to be a sport. I would also suggest you see a doctor, it's not a shame to ask for help.
I’m 21 and male. Suffer with anxiety and, as of recently, OCD. Idk, I just feel like recently I’ve been so down. I feel like my life is just completely useless. Everyone that comes in to it, I do something to push them away. I’m scared to do simple things like call a restaurant to book a table or ask a waiter for a bill, etc. I feel like I'm never good at anything I do. I tried golf and I couldn’t do it, football and im never good enough. Fishing which i also seem to mess up. Everything I do. I ruin my relationships. I had a perfect girlfriend about 5 years ago who I’ve never really gotten over. She’s met someone and has now had a child and loves with him. Like I have a current girlfriend now, but it’s just like I sit there and think how much of a different man I could have been if I diddnt **** things up with her. I don’t believe im a man at all, I believe im embarrassment, I cringe myself out and personal hi don’t deserve anyone. I can’t even do simple things like drive because even that my brain just seems to **** uo for me. I’m ashamed of myself. Im 21, and I like to pretend im this alpha male, but really im a ******* coward. And a wet wipe, and an embarrassment to myself in everything I do. Don’t really know how to pick myself back up to be honest.

Hey, hit the gym and don't look back. The gym is for everyone
yh I was gonna say this too, hit the gym, it improves your mental health sooo much (if your gonna do it take it seriously and take creatine)
Original post by khalumbadavid
Hey, hit the gym and don't look back. The gym is for everyone
(edited 8 months ago)
Reply 7
Hi Lucas,
I understand where you are coming from. I myself have felt this way for a long time. I never EVER thought id even be in uni, and though I just finished my second year, my mind seems to tell me you'll never graduate. I lack in everything that my friends and family have.

But one thing I can tell you Lucas is that I never give up. IT has taken me so many years of redoing college (6-7 years) to finaly get the right qualification to come to uni. It has been hard because I moved to an Arabic speaking language, learnt the language, then 5 years later I moved to England, with 0 spoken of English, and had to learn it from ABC. on top of that, I had undiagnosed Dyslexia which only college I got diagnosed, and I think I had and still have ADHD that is un diagnosed. I hade multiple people telling only recently (all from medical background). And I feel like it explains soo much about myselfe and why I had so much energy and always getting in trouble in school.

One day, I made a list of everything I needed to achieve.
Driving
Uni
Money, ect...

BUT.. when making a list of what you want to achieve, make sure you break it down. because its easy to achieve something small, and you can feel like your moving forward in your life rather than one big goa that seems impossible.

FOR EXAMPLE; I did not just write down Driving. I broke it down like so..

1 - Download theory test app
2 - Look through the Questions
3 - PRATICE FOR 20 mints before bed (on my bed)
4 - Get a all answers right on my theory mock test (on the app)
5 - Once you get all answers on mock test, BOOK THEORY TEST.

6 - look for a driving instructor
7 - call the driving instructors number
8 - Book a day for a lesson
9 - pass your mock Driving test with your instructor
10 - book DRIVING TEST for same area where you been practising.

Plan your goals like this lucas. EVERYTHING. Youll be abale to acheive smaller goals. I never thought id drive either.
Original post by B7861
yh I was gonna say this too, hit the gym, it improves your mental health sooo much (if your gonna do it take it seriously and take creatine)

There is some satisfaction and motivation that comes from working out. Best decision ever. I am David. Nice to meet you

You're going through a difficult time and it sucks. It takes courage to open up about these struggles. Reaching out for help is an important step. Please remember that you are not alone, most people, if not all, have been through this stage, at some point in their life. You should know that there is always support around you. The first step I think, is to educate yourself about anxiety and OCD to better understand what you're experiencing. This knowledge will help you identify triggers and learn coping strategies. You should also recognize that negative thoughts about yourself are part of anxiety and OCD. Practice challenging these thoughts and replacing them with more balanced and positive ones. If things do not get any better, consider reaching out to a mental health professional, such as a psychologist or therapist, who specializes in anxiety and OCD. They can provide you with the appropriate guidance and support tailored to your specific needs. Remember that recovery is a journey, and it's okay to take it one step at a time. It may not be easy, but with professional help, support, and patience, you can work through these challenges and improve your well-being. You deserve a fulfilling and meaningful life, and seeking help is a significant step toward that goal. Good luck mate.

Quick Reply

Latest