The Student Room Group

Do top employers look down on foundation years?

Do top employers look down on foundation years.
Uni of Notts history with foundation year.

- The Civil service
- Law firms (not Magic Circle, I know they definitely will look down on them) . Media Law, In House Law Careers, BBC’s(and media powerhouses like it) In house lawyer roles.
- Boutique Law firms

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
No. Nobody cares.
Reply 2
NO

Only interested in the highest qualification you secured
Reply 3
Original post by LsDad
NO

Only interested in the highest qualification you secured

Thanks your response!
That’s good to know. Is this not just for people who did foundation years because they took the wrong A Levels?
Do the top employers care if you did a foundation year in history though ? As it is a humanities subject ?
Reply 4
Original post by Confusionn
Thanks your response!
That’s good to know. Is this not just for people who did foundation years because they took the wrong A Levels?
Do the top employers care if you did a foundation year in history though ? As it is a humanities subject ?

I guarantee you employers don't care about foundation years in any subject, as long as the degree is relevant to the role and you actually completed it with a good grade.
Quite a lot of the bigger firms have AAB as a filter for A levels otherwise they just have too many applications to assess them all.
Reply 6
Original post by 17Student17
Quite a lot of the bigger firms have AAB as a filter for A levels otherwise they just have too many applications to assess them all.

So will this filter out a foundation year??
No but why would you tell them anyway. Just say you have a degree.
Reply 8
Original post by Guru Jason
No but why would you tell them anyway. Just say you have a degree.

But, would they not ask about why your degree is 4 years? They may think I repeated a year
But, would they not ask about why your degree is 4 years? They may think I repeated a year

Why tell them you did a 4 year degree? Just say I got a degree from ... and be done with it. No one asked how was your degree length.
Reply 10

95% of employers would never ask nor care.
Reply 11
Original post by jimb0b
95% of employers would never ask nor care.

Yes, but what about top employers?
Reply 12
Yes, but what about top employers?

They care even less.
Reply 13
Original post by jimb0b
They care even less.

Source?
Reply 14
Source?

Me, a senior Meta employee.
Reply 15
Original post by jimb0b
Me, a senior Meta employee.

That’s good to know, thankyou :smile:
Original post by jimb0b
They care even less.

Not quite true - the larger law firms have pretty standardised applications and the vast majority ask for the length of your degree. You should not lie. You may get asked why 4 years in the interview stage (although probably unlikely), but I’ve not heard of a foundation year being negatively viewed particularly if you’ve performed well in the end.
Reply 17
Original post by sublime-baths
Not quite true - the larger law firms have pretty standardised applications and the vast majority ask for the length of your degree. You should not lie. You may get asked why 4 years in the interview stage (although probably unlikely), but I’ve not heard of a foundation year being negatively viewed particularly if you’ve performed well in the end.

Yes, this is true of basically any application to any job, technically somebody can look at the degree length and ask why 4 years instead of 3 years, but as you say in practice it just doesn’t happen because frankly, it’s not relevant (and ya don’t lie, because there’s nothing to be ashamed about). Unless of course you took like 8 years to complete an undergrad, that’s beginning to look like My Cousin Vinny levels of incompetence.
(edited 7 months ago)
Reply 18
Original post by sublime-baths

So top law or accounting firms wouldn’t look down on it? I know some contextualise your results and I did come from a “disadvantaged” background.
Reply 19
Original post by jimb0b
Yes, this is true of basically any application to any job, technically somebody can look at the degree length and ask why 4 years instead of 3 years, but as you say in practice it just doesn’t happen because frankly, it’s not relevant (and ya don’t lie, because there’s nothing to be ashamed about). Unless of course you took like 8 years to complete an undergrad, that’s beginning to look like My Cousin Vinny levels of incompetence.

How would it take a person 8 years to complete an undergrad?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending