The Student Room Group
ur grades have disappeared from ur post so ur gonna have to post them again! the average oxford med student has 10 A*s (8s and 9s), but im sure if you do amazingly on the admissions test, you could get in with less.
Relevant link for Oxford: https://www.medsci.ox.ac.uk/study/medicine/pre-clinical/statistics

Cambridge cares a lot less and is a lot less competitive in general.
Reply 3
Hi thanks for the help. I got the following grades:

Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
French - 9
English language - 9
Religious studies - 9
Maths - 8 (disappointed with)
Geography - 8
Music - 8 (being remarked as I am 1 mark off a 9)
English Literature - 7 (being remarked as I and the school both believe it may have been a mistake considering what I got in the mocks)
Finance - A*
Further Maths - A
Media - distinction * (equivalent to A*)
Original post by Emman.78

Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
French - 9
English language - 9
Religious studies - 9
Geography - 8
English Literature - 7 (being remarked as I and the school both believe it may have been a mistake considering what I got in the mocks)
Finance - A*
Further Maths - A

that's 11 A*s definitely good enough and almost above average for oxbridge applicants. just get A* A* A alevel and you are a very competitive applicant
Reply 5
Original post by Cakelover666
that's 11 A*s definitely good enough and almost above average for oxbridge applicants. just get A* A* A alevel and you are a very competitive applicant

Thank you, that means a lot. I will work hard through sixth form to ensure I get the best chance of getting in.
Reply 6
Original post by Cakelover666

A*AA Oxford
Reply 7

Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
French - 9
English language - 9
Religious studies - 9
Geography - 8
Finance - A*
Further Maths - A

Thank you, that means a lot. I will work hard through sixth form to ensure I get the best chance of getting in.

What A levels are you doing?
Reply 8
Original post by Scotney
What A levels are you doing?

Biology chemistry and maths. I would have attempted to do 4 but I’m spending quite a lot time at the hospital (due to my medical condition) so I have been advised to just do 3 and focus on the BMAT and work experience.
you're one of the rare few that did finance (what it CeFe?). but your GCSE grades are great
Reply 10
Original post by jadarose
you're one of the rare few that did finance (what it CeFe?). but your GCSE grades are great

Yes, it was CeFe for finance. They offered it to a few students in the year as an extra course, so I accepted.
Reply 11
Hi, I am currently in year 12 and aim to study medicine at university.

After having researched the two universities and visiting Oxford during a summer course, I am confident that it is the university that I would prefer attending (if I were fortunate enough to get in). However, my GCSE grades are slightly below average, so I am worried about whether this would potentially jeopardise my chances of getting in as Oxford medical school is extremely difficult to get a place at.

I received the following grades at a comprehensive/state school:

Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
French - 9
Religious Studies - 9
English Language - 9
Maths - 8
Music - 8
Geography - 8
English Literature - 7
Further Maths - A
Finance A *
Media BTEC - Distinction * (equivalent of an A*)

The grade for english literature is currently being appealed as my teachers received my script back and believe it should have been a 9. Assuming my English grade doesn't go up I only have an A* proportion of 0.84. If I remember correctly, the average at Oxford is 0.90 for an interview and 0.95 for successful applicants. Would this put me at a disadvantage even if I do have 11 A* grades, which is above the average of 10.3 for those who secured an interview ?

I suffer from a medical condition that meant I was quite unwell throughout year 11 (and particularly the exam period). As a result, I was actually disappointed with my grades, although they were still among the best in the school I went to at the time. Should I try to apply for Cambridge instead as they are more relaxed about GCSE grades? What sort of BMAT score would I need to secure to make up for this?Attending Oxford has been a dream of mine since I was very young as I want to prove to myself that I could do it despite my condition.

Thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 12
Hi, I am currently in year 12 and aim to study medicine at university.

After having researched the two universities and visiting Oxford during a summer course, I am confident that it is the university that I would prefer attending (if I were fortunate enough to get in). However, my GCSE grades are slightly below average, so I am worried about whether this would potentially jeopardise my chances of getting in as Oxford medical school is extremely difficult to get a place at.

I received the following grades at a comprehensive/state school:

Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
French - 9
Religious Studies - 9
English Language - 9
Maths - 8
Music - 8
Geography - 8
English Literature - 7
Further Maths - A
Finance A *
Media BTEC - Distinction * (equivalent of an A*)

The grade for english literature is currently being appealed as my teachers received my script back and believe it should have been a 9. Assuming my English grade doesn't go up I only have an A* proportion of 0.84. If I remember correctly, the average at Oxford is 0.90 for an interview and 0.95 for successful applicants. Would this put me at a disadvantage even if I do have 11 A* grades, which is above the average of 10.3 for those who secured an interview ?

I suffer from a medical condition that meant I was quite unwell throughout year 11 (and particularly the exam period). As a result, I was actually disappointed with my grades, although they were still among the best in the school I went to at the time. Should I try to apply for Cambridge instead as they are more relaxed about GCSE grades? What sort of BMAT score would I need to secure to make up for this?Attending Oxford has been a dream of mine since I was very young as I want to prove to myself that I could do it despite my condition.

Thanks
Reply 13
Hi, I’m am in year 12 and looking to study medicine, but I am not sure whether I should apply to oxford or Cambridge.

I received the following grades in my GCSES:

Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
English literature - 9
English Language - 9
French - 9
Religious studies- 9
Music - 8
Geography - 8
Maths - 8
Further maths - A
Finance - A*
Media - distinction * (equivalent to A*) (taken as extra subject)

I now take biology, chemistry and maths A level. I would have done for but the hospital told me not to die to the current state of my health. (Described below)

I have the following questions:

Firstly, will subjects like media and finance be considered by oxbridge when they look at my GCSE profile?

I suffer from a medical condition called Sickle cell Anaemia, so I miss a lot of school. Will oxford and Cambridge take that into consideration when looking at my application?

Oxford university would be my first choice but I have heard that it is even harder to get into oxford med school because of the weight they put on GCSES and the BMAT. I have also heard that Cambridge has a more holistic approach when looking at the application.

I have also recently moved from a state school to an extremely competitive grammar school. Will that affect my chances of being considered since I now go to an outstanding school? The school also has considerably more success with Cambridge compared to Oxford.

For the reasons stated above, do you think it would be more advisable to apply to Cambridge rather than oxford?
Reply 14
Before I start, I know it is extremely difficult to get into these universities, and many excellent students are rejected. I am only trying to gain insight into which one would be best to apply to.

Hi, I’m am in year 12 and looking to study medicine, but I am not sure whether I should apply to oxford or Cambridge.

Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
English literature - 9
English Language - 9
French - 9
Religious studies- 9
Music - 8
Geography - 8
Maths - 8
Further maths - A
Finance - A*

I now take biology, chemistry and maths A level. I would have done for but the hospital told me not to die to the current state of my health. (Described below)

I have the following questions:

Firstly, will subjects like media and finance be considered by oxbridge when they look at my GCSE profile?

I suffer from a medical condition called Sickle cell Anaemia, so I miss a lot of school. Will oxford and Cambridge take that into consideration when looking at my application?

Oxford university would be my first choice but I have heard that it is even harder to get into oxford med school because of the weight they put on GCSES and the BMAT. I have also heard that Cambridge has a more holistic approach when looking at the application.

I have also recently moved from a state school to an extremely competitive grammar school. Will that affect my chances of being considered since I now go to an outstanding school? The school also has considerably more success with Cambridge compared to Oxford.

For the reasons stated above, do you think it would be more advisable to apply to Cambridge rather than oxford?

Biology - 9
Chemistry - 9
Physics - 9
English literature - 9
English Language - 9
French - 9
Religious studies- 9
Music - 8
Geography - 8
Maths - 8
Further maths - A
Finance - A*

I like the way you wrote all your subjects out :smile: These are fine both both Oxford and Cambridge.

Yes

Take it into consideration how? It doesn't seem to have affected your results so far. You'll have an opportunity to make them aware of your health condition, should you choose to

This is partially true. Both Oxford and Cambridge look at applications 'holistically'. Yes, Oxford put a bit more emphasis on GCSE results, but this isn't an issue for you anyway. Presuming that your A levels are predicted A*A*A, there is no reason why you can't make a competitive application to either.

Irrelevant. Admission is based on achievement, not what school you go to (unless we're talking about the other end of the spectrum where contextual data might be used, but this isn't relevant in your case)

As stated, you can apply to either - one is not 'more advisable' than the other.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by Reality Check
As stated, you can apply to either - one is not 'more advisable' than the other.

Thanks you so much for your response. It has really helped clear things up for me.
Also, regarding the medical condition I do feel like I may have been able to do better with the subjects if I wasn’t unwell so much during year 11. I know it seems silly at won’t actually affect the application, but knowing how competitive medicine is, it sometimes makes me feel they are inadequate. But i know I am probably being irrational and I should just focus on a levels now.

Regardless, thank you!
Thanks you so much for your response. It has really helped clear things up for me.
Also, regarding the medical condition I do feel like I may have been able to do better with the subjects if I wasn’t unwell so much during year 11. I know it seems silly at won’t actually affect the application, but knowing how competitive medicine is, it sometimes makes me feel they are inadequate. But i know I am probably being irrational and I should just focus on a levels now.

Regardless, thank you!

@Oxford Mum one for you!

Latest

Trending

Trending