The Student Room Group

Is there any point in me applying to Cambridge?

I've always been interested in applying to Cambridge. I did well in my GCSEs, but I'm by no means an all rounder - I can write, but god help me if I go anywhere near a mathematical equation.
I got four 9s and two 8s (English/humanities subjects) and in Maths/Triple Science I got two 5s two 6s.
I've been lurking on some of the Cambridge threads and everyone seems to have a minimum of 10 A*s.
Is there any point in me applying if I have 5s and 6s at GCSE? Will it be a major downfall like a lot of the threads on here suggest? I'm not sure how much focus Cambridge puts on GCSEs?
Reply 1
What subject would you be applying for, what are your a level choices, are you doing an EPQ and what type of school do you go to?
They look at ur GCSEs yes but you need straight A*s at A level. If you can do that then it's worth a shot.
Original post by JapanJapan
They look at ur GCSEs yes but you need straight A*s at A level. If you can do that then it's worth a shot.

Show me where it says you need straight A*s please?
Reply 4
from their website:
There are no GCSE (or equivalent) requirements for entry to Cambridge. GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, but within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were achieved.

Applicants have generally achieved high grades in subjects relevant to their chosen course, and most students who apply have at least four or five As or A*s at GCSE (7 is considered equivalent to an A in the new grading structure; and 8 and 9 is considered equivalent to an A*). However, there are always exceptions and we don’t require a minimum number of As/A*s at GCSE. One of the strengths of the Cambridge admissions system is its ability to assess all applicants individually.

Our research shows that post-16 examination performance is a much better predictor of degree success at Cambridge. While GCSE results are looked at as a performance indicator, this is within the context of the performance of the school/college where they were attained, and strong performance in Years 12 and 13 can make up for a less stellar performance at GCSE.
Like legit on their website? You need A*A*A or you can xxxx off. Cambridge are really strict on grades.

That's not straight A*s though .... no need to post swear words.
Original post by Muttley79
That's not straight A*s though .... no need to post swear words.

:congrats:basically straight A*s
:congrats:basically straight A*s

Basically NOT A*A*A* ... get your facts right please.

The typical A Level offer for Cambridge is A*A*A for most sciences courses and A*AA for arts courses or 40–42 in the IB, including core points, with 776 at Higher Level. AAA is usually required at Advanced Higher Grade, for students in Scotland.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Muttley79
Basically NOT A*A*A* ... get your facts right please.

Its a single damn grade below in a single subject. If you dont think you can get A*s, then u dont aplly to Cambridge. It's as simple as that. There is no "hope" or "ohh let me just try and see". You need to be solid. Even straight A*s might not be enough to get in.
Original post by ewpfs
I've always been interested in applying to Cambridge. I did well in my GCSEs, but I'm by no means an all rounder - I can write, but god help me if I go anywhere near a mathematical equation.
I got four 9s and two 8s (English/humanities subjects) and in Maths/Triple Science I got two 5s two 6s.
I've been lurking on some of the Cambridge threads and everyone seems to have a minimum of 10 A*s.
Is there any point in me applying if I have 5s and 6s at GCSE? Will it be a major downfall like a lot of the threads on here suggest? I'm not sure how much focus Cambridge puts on GCSEs?

If you meet the entry requirements, apply.
Its a single damn grade below in a single subject. If you dont think you can get A*s, then u dont aplly to Cambridge. It's as simple as that. There is no "hope" or "ohh let me just try and see". You need to be solid. Even straight A*s might not be enough to get in.

A*AA for Humanities - please don;t post if you can't be civil :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by ewpfs

you need to get bare minimum straight A's at A level to even stand a chance

tbh though i think cambridge and oxford are overhyped. the reason their students do so well isn't because of the teaching. it's because they only take in the smartest kids in the country and won't even contemplate letting folk in who are not turning out at least A's
Reply 12
Original post by Deggs_14
What subject would you be applying for, what are your a level choices, are you doing an EPQ and what type of school do you go to?

I'd like to study History- I currently do History, Classics, and English Lit at A-Level and I am working towards A*S. I will be doing an EPQ, and I go to a state comprehensive (I think that's the right term? Just a regular school haha, not fee-paying or private etc). I'm hoping that having lower grades in GCSE Maths and Science won't hold me back too much as I have high grades in all of my humanities GCSEs and will be studying a humanities subject at Uni. Thanks for the reply :smile:
Reply 13
Original post by ewpfs
I'd like to study History- I currently do History, Classics, and English Lit at A-Level and I am working towards A*S. I will be doing an EPQ, and I go to a state comprehensive (I think that's the right term? Just a regular school haha, not fee-paying or private etc). I'm hoping that having lower grades in GCSE Maths and Science won't hold me back too much as I have high grades in all of my humanities GCSEs and will be studying a humanities subject at Uni. Thanks for the reply :smile:

Then yes I’d go for it. With an Oxbridge application you don’t gave much to lose (maybe some stress and time doing preparatory work) and much to gain from the whole experience. It’s definitely a journey I’ll put it that way, I’m on the interview stage now. Make sure if you’re doing your EPQ on one time period eg the tudors or something, any academic extra curricular activity you do (reading books, attending lectures, watching films / documentaries etc) is in a different time period. For me I’m applying for geography, but I found you need a right balance between breadth and depth if that makes sense.

Ignore this troll above, for Oxbridge sciences are A*A*A and Humanities / Arts are A*AA in terms of predicted grades. If you’re at least predicted A*AA that’s fine, there are many different parts of the application so don’t worry. My biggest advice now in year 12 is to start extra curricular academic activities. I’d recommend one non-academic one, personally I do a monthly river cleanup, but mostly you’ll want academic thinks like documentaries, films, books, podcasts, exhibitions, lectures etc. Try to diversify the material you use, and always remember to spend some time reflecting upon what you’ve read, writing down your opinion and your thoughts. This is what the admissions tutors are looking for.

Best wishes :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending