The Student Room Group

Why don't more doctors write about their experiences?

I started reading medical blogs whilst I was applying for medical school. It felt like a really interesting way to learn more and read first hand the different experiences people were having. Eventually the blogs I enjoyed reading would sort of fizzle out and then eventually become inactive.

So, I decided to start my own, but now that I've left medicine, it'll be hard for me to continue writing as I once did.

I know I received a lot of value from reading through experiences that were so similar to what I faced whilst I was still working as a junior doctor. I do wish there were more people telling their stories, I think there's so much to be gained from sharing.

Scroll to see replies

Something called the Hipocratic Oath. Means you can't discuss confidential medical information.

How would you like it if you went to the doctor because you accidentally sat on a cucumber, and then he (or she) told the whole world about it!
Original post by MedicZd
I started reading medical blogs whilst I was applying for medical school. It felt like a really interesting way to learn more and read first hand the different experiences people were having. Eventually the blogs I enjoyed reading would sort of fizzle out and then eventually become inactive.

So, I decided to start my own, but now that I've left medicine, it'll be hard for me to continue writing as I once did.

I know I received a lot of value from reading through experiences that were so similar to what I faced whilst I was still working as a junior doctor. I do wish there were more people telling their stories, I think there's so much to be gained from sharing.

There are lots of junior and senior doctor memoirs out there - I think we've actually seen something of an explosion recently. The public seem to love it.

There is something to be gained by sharing I agree. As for why doctors don't keep up personal blogs, I think work can be pretty tiring so a lot of the time you don't want to think about it all over again during your free time. Plus the enforced reflection crap probably exhausts a lot of people's capacity for writing about work in an interesting and creative way. Concerns about anonymity are also a likely contributing factor.

Anyway, there's still a lot out there even if it isn't in a personal blog e.g. interesting medical people on Twitter or KevinMD.

Original post by JustJakkob
Something called the Hipocratic Oath. Means you can't discuss confidential medical information.

How would you like it if you went to the doctor because you accidentally sat on a cucumber, and then he (or she) told the whole world about it!

It is possible to write about one's experiences without divulging confidential information.

I don't know of any UK medical school which requires its graduates to take the Hippocratic oath - this is largely a figment of the general public's imagination.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by Democracy
There are lots of junior and senior doctor memoirs out there - I think we've actually seen something of an explosion recently. The public seem to love it.

There is something to be gained by sharing I agree. As for why doctors don't keep up personal blogs, I think work can be pretty tiring so a lot of the time you don't want to think about it all over again during your free time. Plus the enforced reflection crap probably exhausts a lot of people's capacity for writing about work in an interesting and creative way. Concerns about anonymity are also a likely contributing factor.

Anyway, there's still a lot out there even if it isn't in a personal blog e.g. interesting medical people on Twitter or KevinMD.

It is possible to write about one's experiences without divulging confidential information.

I don't know of any UK medical school which requires its graduates to take the Hippocratic oath - this is largely a figment of the general public's imagination.

I am at a UK medical school and we have to take the Hippocratic Oath on the day of graduation :smile:
Can I ask why you left medicine?
Reply 5
Original post by Sfsk96
I am at a UK medical school and we have to take the Hippocratic Oath on the day of graduation :smile:

Do you promise to let the children of your teachers stay in your house, and not to cut anyone "under the stone?"
Original post by Sfsk96

Which medical school is this :lolwut:
Original post by Sfsk96

Which one?
Reply 9
Original post by usycool1
Which medical school is this :lolwut:

Which one?

UEA

Now THAT is a weirdly specific example...
Reply 11
Because of patient confidentiality?
Original post by Sfsk96
UEA

Thanks. Every day's a school day. I still think it's a rarity and much more of a "thing" in the public imagination than real life though.
Thanks. Every day's a school day. I still think it's a rarity and much more of a "thing" in the public imagination than real life though.

Original post by Sfsk96
UEA

Don't Americans do a ceremonial one, just as a show? Including some doing the actual Hippocratic one, prayers to Athena and all? Perhaps this is like that? I mean, its certainly not meaningful in any other way right - legally or morally.
I would much rather hospitals focused on finding non public places where staff (all health professionals) could openly reflect together. The removal of staff only canteens, doctors offices and messes makes this very difficult.
Original post by fishfacesimpson
I would much rather hospitals focused on finding non public places where staff (all health professionals) could openly reflect together. The removal of staff only canteens, doctors offices and messes makes this very difficult.

Very deliberate removal, I''l add. Nowhere to hide from the jobs doctor, nowhere to hide.
You're probably right.

Is it me or has the culture of interrupting got worse too? Doctors interrupting nurses in drug rounds and vica versa. Going to pharmacists with a quick "can you just....?" etc etc

Trying to round on 20 new patients this weekend and non urgent jobs mentioned to me in passing every 10 minutes. Even family members coming up asking for non urgent test results whilst I'm the middle of a conversation about a sick patient with sho. Had to tell them to wait. Reckon I went in to the office 5 times in the morning to look something up or print something but each time within a few minutes something non urgent comes up. Maybe we don't set boundaries enough or maybe we're all too busy we're interested in just getting stuff done and don't realise how much impact we have on another person's cognition. Sorry I've gone off on a complete tangent haha
Reply 17
Original post by Anonymous
Can I ask why you left medicine?

A multitude of reasons: but in one sentence, I didn't want to be in an unhealthy working environment any more
Reply 18

This answers the above point perfectly

Reply 19
Original post by fishfacesimpson

This would be helpful. I also wonder why there isn't any focus on the emotional wellbeing of healthcare professionals. Why is it always an afterthought? Or when something goes wrong? I think it's good to be able to speak to your colleagues, but it would be better if there was something more robust in place.

Latest

Trending

Trending