The Student Room Group

Work experience For degree in medicine

So for my school we are required to complete work experience. At first I didn't think it was too important but nevertheless I asked at a couple places and was able to secure work experience at a company that writes reports about drugs but I just saw that your expected for medicine to complete a related work experience. My question is do you think this would be good enough or would I have to complete it at a hospital or GP practice?
Original post by hdobson
So for my school we are required to complete work experience. At first I didn't think it was too important but nevertheless I asked at a couple places and was able to secure work experience at a company that writes reports about drugs but I just saw that your expected for medicine to complete a related work experience. My question is do you think this would be good enough or would I have to complete it at a hospital or GP practice?
A hospital/GP placement would be significantly better
Original post by hdobson
Its fine its more about the skills found for example communication
Reply 3
Original post by Tulipbloom
A hospital/GP placement would be significantly better
Thank you for your reply I did a bit more research and found that volunteering could also be seen as a form of work experience and I've been volunteering at a nursing home for the past few months aswell. Do you think that might be sufficient or should I try and find an alternative placement for the week of work experience.
Original post by hdobson
Thank you for your reply I did a bit more research and found that volunteering could also be seen as a form of work experience and I've been volunteering at a nursing home for the past few months aswell. Do you think that might be sufficient or should I try and find an alternative placement for the week of work experience.
Oh yeah that's good but it would be better if you can shadow even if it is just for a couple of days. Thing is a lot of applicants would have done both volunteering and shadowing. In my experience, volunteering is good (highlights the emotional challenges that come w physical care) but shadowing offers a good insight into the works of a multidisciplinary team. It's a huge plus point and sometimes you get to have a differentiated experience from others (cause diff candidates shadow diff doctors and meet diff patients). Doctors are quite accommodating now I think and it would be a lot easier to secure one. I applied for em after Covid and had to go knock from door to door. Given the chance, do it!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending