The Student Room Group

'The Peaky Bloggers' A GCSEs 2020 GYG journey

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
There’s two pages worth of vocabulary per Module (Of which there are 8) which I’ll hopefully make Quizlet sets on before memorising. Thoughts?
Original post by TakeALittleWalk
I believe I did the 2019 papers, but for everything but the speaking the whole exam hall was chaotic (Not that I'm complaining...). I found the writing fine; I've written so much French in class at this point, phrases just popped into my head. In terms of grammar I've never revised but generally listened in class. Stuff like subjunctive and imperfect I need to brush up on, and present tense endings for verbs etc. Speaking of verbs I don't know a hell of a lot of them, nor their avoir/etre conjugations. I'm motivated but I need some sort of regime for revision, you might say.

Oooo yay, how'd you find them? I thought they were good, but the translation on the reading exam was a bit weird. :redface:

Ok, so writing seems to be good. You say you don't know a lot of verbs, what do you mean by that? And are you talking about the perfect tense with the avoir/être conjugations? :blow:

Well, I can't create a regime but I think you have to find more interactive ways of revising for French. :dontknow: For your lack of verb issue, you could use conjuguemos for tenses (I think it has games on there) or you could use a Memrise course dedicated specifically to verbs (would recommend). :cookie: Do you listen to music in the target language?
There’s two pages worth of vocabulary per Module (Of which there are 8) which I’ll hopefully make Quizlet sets on before memorising. Thoughts?

That sounds like a plan, maybe try some practice questions for each module on what you've learned? Just to put the vocab into context.
Reply 62
Original post by Shining Stars
Oooo yay, how'd you find them? I thought they were good, but the translation on the reading exam was a bit weird. :redface:

Ok, so writing seems to be good. You say you don't know a lot of verbs, what do you mean by that? And are you talking about the perfect tense with the avoir/être conjugations? :blow:

Well, I can't create a regime but I think you have to find more interactive ways of revising for French. :dontknow: For your lack of verb issue, you could use conjuguemos for tenses (I think it has games on there) or you could use a Memrise course dedicated specifically to verbs (would recommend). :cookie: Do you listen to music in the target language?

That sounds like a plan, maybe try some practice questions for each module on what you've learned? Just to put the vocab into context.

Music/radio is a great shout.
I'll look into Memrise thanks for that.

Thanks for the encouragement. I'm currently doing Chem Exam Practice (Yes, barely started) but hopefully I can occupy my time with other subjects eventually. I'll be doing a 'mass printing' of past papers per subject this evening so as to fix up on exam practice as a general thing.
Reply 63
Ensure you don't completely tear nor slightly crease what you want to keep neat if you get where I'm coming from.

The feeling stings like a cut, but it goes. Good luck!

Reply 64
Right so I've noticed that by going through the cgp exam workbook, prior knowledge from videos before mocks comes to me; as I check the answers.

Because I binged the same videos the night before the mock exams, watching them does imprint the messages better into my head, but doing questions like these (Images below) also tests/refines my knowledge.

To any year 10s and 11s yet to do mocks, I highly recommend watching freesciencelessons videos much earlier than the night before. Despite what I think was a good performance (yet to get my mock results) it's not healthy and very boring.

I'll have a cup of tea after lunch and by then I should have finished quite a bit! I might talk about something entertaining that occurred recently, depending on whether or not I receive suggestions.

Reply 65
Here's the To-Do List from earlier, still seems capable of completion!

And as for my desk it's still organised. The real question is how long will it last?
Reply 66
65392B7E-2E86-47CF-90E3-D50310590DD8.jpg.jpeg
Rubbing things out, only for your nice page to crease...

when that happens it makes me want to cry aaaaaah
Reply 68
Original post by emilynxlan
when that happens it makes me want to cry aaaaaah

Dancing Queen of Year 14 I understand completely. Want to be tagged?

Readers, I've just had lunch and am back to work. Hopefully in an hour or so, I'll take a break for tea and post something new!
Reply 69
432893E7-F0C5-41CC-B6E9-FC5465A4D410.jpg.jpeg

I’m leaving this salted caramel yoghurt aside with the lid on top for two purposes:
One I’ll reward myself after some work
Two, I’m starting a Q&A Thursday! It’ll be an incremental and recurring thing from today onwards I assure you. I’ll think of some questions myself on top of suggestions so shout!
Reply 70
Q&A Thursday

And yes I understand how unconventional and inconvenient this would be to do on a Thursday. But defying expectations is the ultimate goal! These questions are far from good but I thought them up myself!

Let the interrogation commence...

Q1: What are you aims in terms of GCSE grades?

To be honest I'm not in the slightest as confident as a lot of my peers, but I'd like to do 'well = 7/8/9s' in all subjects with the exception of Art, which we just don't talk about.

Q2: You want to take Biology, Chemistry and Maths after GCSEs, why?

Firstly that's a very eldritch-like question that has shocked me dearly. You know me too well...

Biology and Chemistry are quite frankly my 'great' subjects. Maths is considered my best and honestly it all ties in to my intentions for the upcoming years.
But to answer more explicitly, I have always had a dominating passion for medicine, which requires these subjects, as a career path. It sounds generic but the idea of saving lives regularly fulfils that superhero ideology we've all had since childhood for me. It gives back to the community and provides people with a sense of safety. It's also a very humbling opportunity to reflect on how far you've come; it's a difficult thing to get into medicine and by doing so shows your potential.

I love computing too however, so there's always the chance :h:

Q3: Seeing as you're not even gaming anymore, what do you do outside of just studying, you dull child?

Badminton training/coaching. Eat? I like food :cry:

Q4: How do you revise?

A fine question. I answer questions for topics after watching videos. I (will) make timelines and event flashcards and write essays. Quizlet.

Q5: Motivation techniques?

Look to the future and don't think about motivation as much as too much.

Q6: How are you feeling? :smile:

I'm feeling great! So glad you asked! I've been doing this blog for what? A few days now? So it's good to know that I'm not burning myself out and I can manage my workload. I have a lot of support both on and off of this blog and I'm thankful for it.

Q7: Do you have OCD? Because that's a really nice desk layout!

Oh my, why, thanks for the compliment! I don't have OCD but it often feels like I do. I hate creased pages and inconsistent handwriting. Writing with pencil is a regular rival of mine; you know, how it changes texture? Right so to answer I'm not sure anymore...

Q8: Take a little walk?...

How uncultured. You take a little walk to the edge of the town, and go across the tracks!

Q9: Are you going to continue to post this regularly?

No.

Even more frequently.

Q10: Do you like Peaky Blinders?

Q11: Favourite Colour?
Black

Q12: Favourite snack?
Turkish Delights. Are they snacks?

So that's it for this week's edition of Q and A Thursday! That's also it in terms of how much time I have left to relax...
Back to work and ticking off that To-Do List...

Tags!

Spoiler

(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 71
0A26E829-5441-45B7-8BE2-A1D6528F6ABA.jpg.jpeg

Thursday 26/12/2019 (Evening)

That’s all three sciences, topics 1-5 1-4 and 1-4 questions attempted!
I’ll go through the mark schemes and correct any (rather, most) of my mistakes!
It seems we have plenty of time left this evening to start on other subjects.

I realised for Biology and Physics that it’s 7/8 topics so the paper 1 content would only be up until topic 4, silly me!
Reply 72
I’m changing up completely my organisation of revision from today onwards, I’m in absolute awe.

The last couple topics 3/4 of bio and physics are barely sticking in my head and honestly I need to manage that workload much better.

It’s been evident to you guys for a while and only now has it struck me that there’s that risk of burning myself out as well as getting little to no information into my head.

I’m not in the best of moods but I’m going to redo topics 1 for each of the sciences which should take no less than half an hour. I’ll post a reworked to-do list after that.

I’ve got more than sufficient time to do a playlist/topic for each science a day, rather than 5 whole topics for all 3 in a 24 hour period.

Thanks for sticking with me so far by the way. Suddenly having these slight frustrations is more tolerable when I know I’ve got people behind me.
Reply 73
918B8076-B0F8-4C68-A445-B6B5D5A23A68.jpg.jpeg

A far more realistic list!

Can’t believe that annoyed me so much. Just goes to prove that pressure isn’t a good thing; no idea what I was thinking.

In that sense I’ve learned something new! I thank this blog for further teaching me about my capacity.

Time to do all this then...
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 74
Thanks , my Day 1!

Readers, I've wiped my To-Do list, not because I've finished but because the workload was a heap. Outlined earlier, I've learned something new.

However, I've concluded that from tomorrow onwards I will better manage my sciences. Posted below is tomorrow's To-Do List, and I assure you all, I will stick to it:
Reply 75
86264429-7679-4C9D-A338-9BC876D06492.jpg.jpeg
Reply 76
It's a longer to-do list, but at least this time I won't be doing sciences all day.

Thursday 26/12/2019 (Night)

Right so today was the most important day in terms of pushing myself to the limit. It showed me how incapable I was of being overloaded with tasks and not taking breaks. However the intensity wasn't necessarily the problem, it was more the idea that subjects were kept restricted. Just focusing on sciences means slacking in other subjects so clearly it wasn't going to go far. I'm excited for the English essay planned for tomorrow as I find contextual knowledge is my forte! The science topics will basically be corrected using the mark scheme which won't take any longer than a few minutes, creating hours of time for French and other subjects!

I've maintained resilience throughout this blogging period and hope to do so despite pebbles like bad productivity or frustration getting in the way! Tomorrow albeit I'll be studying a new person!

Original post by SlightlySummer
Wow, I must say I admire your motivation and your productivity! Your gyg seems so interesting, defo keep me tagged please :smile: and InshaAllah we all get straight 9s this year :biggrin:

Inshallah إِنْ شَاءَ ٱللّٰهُ‎
With the exception of art. At this point I don't even pray to do well in it.

Signing off by order of the Peaky Blinders!

Tags!

Spoiler

Dancing Queen of Year 14 I understand completely. Want to be tagged?

Readers, I've just had lunch and am back to work. Hopefully in an hour or so, I'll take a break for tea and post something new!

Hell yeah!
Reply 78
@Tolgarda

Seems my fingers slipped and I've tagged you into my blog haha!

But desperate times call for desperate measures, I've read through some of your stuff on the edexcel English Lit exams and honestly it's gold dust. I was wondering if you had any advice for a student struggling to revise for English Lit over the holidays?

I'm doing R&J/Inspector Calls and Conflict/J&H

I understand there's plenty on your posts but I'm fine in terms of exam technique; it's more getting content like poetry context, literary text quotes, poetry comparisons, etc. into my head that I'm worried about. Like, how do you prepare for comparison questions? How do you prepare for questions on themes or characters presented? They're generic questions but I get so much mixed advice like 'plan an essay for every possible question' or 'memorise quotes and contextual points'.

Language, form and structure points aren't difficult in all honesty, but it's actually learning/revising for English I'm struggling with. So to put it plainly, how should I revise? What did you do to revise for poetry and the texts?

To add, I've just finished my mocks and English Lit did go quite well. It was solely inclusive of Romeo And Juliet (a & b) in which I used the only 4 quotes I'd memorised seconds prior for the b part. 'O Brawling Love' Brawling links to the the idea of masculinity...etc.
Again, apologies for the tag if it means inconvenience!

No more tags for tonight, readers, I hope you're asleep and if not and you're reading this:

(edited 4 years ago)
hi! could you tag me please? 😊

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending