The Student Room Group

'Linking back to the question'

Hi.

I'm having trouble doing this without overtly stating 'this is answering the question because...'

Anyone have any tips or perhaps phrases that allow you to link back to the question slightly less obviously.

Scroll to see replies

erm, depends on the question really. You could always try "and this further supports the opening statement"

or "this is how AUTHOR uses TECHNIQUE to emphasise THING effectively"

Just a couple of suggestions
you basically repeat the question as a statement.

say the question is 'How does the writer express xyz?"
you put 'xyz is expressed by the writer using......' or 'the writer expresses xyz by ......'

I'm bad at explaining.
if you use PEAI paragraphs it should automatically do this, key is to include topic sentences that directly answer the question and sum up the paragraph- think KS1/2 comprehension- then expand and analyse as normal. Just make sure all your points are relevant, generally
Reply 4
Don't write 'linking back to the question'; it sounds far too prescriptive. You don't need to prove you are answering the question; that's why you're writing the essay! Instead, just write fluently and naturally and your essay will be much better for it.
Reply 5
my teacher says i "hug the question" so i dont have this problem lol. Erm "therefore in response to the critics opinion...." or something similar.
master roflcopter
if you use PEAI paragraphs it should automatically do this, key is to include topic sentences that directly answer the question and sum up the paragraph- think KS1/2 comprehension- then expand and analyse as normal. Just make sure all your points are relevant, generally

Whats the 'I' in PEAI stand for? (I can guess the other letters)
Reply 7
Just use the wording of the question. Try and make the first line of your paragraph a "key sentence" i.e. one that directly links back to the question and outlines how this paragraph will answer a particular aspect of this.

For example, if a question were to be asked on how Shakespeare presents the theme of corruption in Hamlet you could make a point and say "...the pervasive imagery of decay shows the extent of the corruption in Denmark" or something like that. If you want to make it less clunky think of a few synonyms e.g. depravity, degeneracy, vice.

Sometimes, when writing the essay, you think you are maybe being a little too obvious, but you really need to be explicit.
Yes, use the wording of the question. "By this we can see that blah blah blah is right, consulting another view, however, blah blah blah says that blah blah isn't right" :yeah:
Thank you, O my brothers.
Hedgehunter
Whats the 'I' in PEAI stand for? (I can guess the other letters)

Stands for Point, Evidence, Analysis (Sometimes E for explanation) and Impact(i.e impact on meaning, impact on audience/reader etc)
master roflcopter
Stands for Point, Evidence, Analysis (Sometimes E for explanation) and Impact(i.e impact on meaning, impact on audience/reader etc)

Ok. Though 'Impact' is about as vague as it gets!
Reply 12
At my school, we PEARL :cool:
Point
Evidence
Analysis
Reader Response (AO4)
Link to question/argument
Alternatively, we SQUEAL
State
Unpack
Explain
Analyse
Link
for example the question is - how important was xyz in bringing about pqr... the link back could begin with - xyz was important because it did abc which helped in bringing about pqr

in this way you are linking back without actually saying this answers the question because..
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by student-help 123
for example the question is - how important was xyz in bringing about pqr... the link back could begin with - xyz was important because it did abc which helped in bringing about pqr

in this way you are linking back without actually saying this answers the question because..

Who are you trying to help again? This thread is a decade old.
Original post by Tolgarda
Who are you trying to help again? This thread is a decade old.

gfru
I do PEEL?
Original post by 200428
At my school, we PEARL :cool:
Point
Evidence
Analysis
Reader Response (AO4)
Link to question/argument
Alternatively, we SQUEAL
State
Unpack
Explain
Analyse
Link

What does link mean tho?
Point, Evidence, Explain and Link
Reply 19
Original post by bodybuilder22
Hi.

I'm having trouble doing this without overtly stating 'this is answering the question because...'

Anyone have any tips or perhaps phrases that allow you to link back to the question slightly less obviously.

This may be similar, but you could say.. "This can link back to the question, because..."

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending