The Student Room Group

Difficulty in choosing third A Level

Hello, I'm returning to college to start my A levels and work towards a degree in Comouter Science. A levels in Maths and CS and a definite for me as maths is required in most Unis. However, I'm not too sure about my third. Physics seems like the best choice for CS but I'm not too keen on that and it locks me down. I was also thinking Accounting as it gives me a fall back but I'm not too sure if it will become a drawback when applying for University? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you
Original post by Jordaan98
Hello, I'm returning to college to start my A levels and work towards a degree in Comouter Science. A levels in Maths and CS and a definite for me as maths is required in most Unis. However, I'm not too sure about my third. Physics seems like the best choice for CS but I'm not too keen on that and it locks me down. I was also thinking Accounting as it gives me a fall back but I'm not too sure if it will become a drawback when applying for University? Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you

Hey @Jordaan98 :smile:

Have you thought about looking at the entry requirements on universities websites? If some state that mathematics is a requirement then studying math at A-Level would be necessary. However, if some state that physics isn't a requirement and it doesn't seem like the best choice for you, choose something that you enjoy.

If you enjoy accounting then by all means study it. As long as you get the grades for university, I don't feel that studying it A-level will hold you back in your application for uni.

I hope this helps and you figure out what it is you want to study.

Let me know if I can help you at all again.

Ashley :tongue:
Reply 2
Hello Ashely, Thanks for your response! I have looked at a few entry requirements for a few Universitys and other than the top unis (oxford/cambridge) they only state maths as a necessity. So maybe accounting will be the way to go!
Hello Ashely, Thanks for your response! I have looked at a few entry requirements for a few Universitys and other than the top unis (oxford/cambridge) they only state maths as a necessity. So maybe accounting will be the way to go!

i have just finished my A level exams and i have take computer science , accounting and physics and the one thing i can tell you is that my back up from computer engineering is becoming a charted accountant... physics and accounts are great subjects , but first you have to look at you AS level exams because A level is much tougher and requires much more discipline ... what was your grades for accounting and physics ?? look at the requirements of the university that you want to go if they state one science as a requirement i would suggest do physics...

do further maths?
Reply 5
Thanks for the responses, I've looked at Southampton and Kent and neither seems to have a science as a requirement. Further maths is an option but it leads me to a similar situation as it locks me down and I won't have a fall back where as accounting would be a safety net, but the physics or further maths would help secure a place in uni so rock and a hard place I guess
Reply 6
Original post by suraya elyas
i have just finished my A level exams and i have take computer science , accounting and physics and the one thing i can tell you is that my back up from computer engineering is becoming a charted accountant... physics and accounts are great subjects , but first you have to look at you AS level exams because A level is much tougher and requires much more discipline ... what was your grades for accounting and physics ?? look at the requirements of the university that you want to go if they state one science as a requirement i would suggest do physics...

Hi Suraya, i would like to know what's the accounting paper 3 is about. Is it more of calculations or more on giving reasons, justifying...? Im currently in the 2nd yr and im taking physics chem accounting and maths. Im planning to drop one subject between chem and accounting.
Thanks for the responses, I've looked at Southampton and Kent and neither seems to have a science as a requirement. Further maths is an option but it leads me to a similar situation as it locks me down and I won't have a fall back where as accounting would be a safety net, but the physics or further maths would help secure a place in uni so rock and a hard place I guess

can't you do physics and AS further maths? or do A-level further maths and AS physics?
Reply 8
I could do but the problem I'm having is being locked down to one possible outcome rather than having a back up
Original post by olh1711
Hi Suraya, i would like to know what's the accounting paper 3 is about. Is it more of calculations or more on giving reasons, justifying...? Im currently in the 2nd yr and im taking physics chem accounting and maths. Im planning to drop one subject between chem and accounting.

the paper 3 makes use of some of the previous topics learnt in igcse for example manufacturing accounts , clubs and societies. there is alot of justifying and explaining to do work 5 to 12 marks.. there is balance sheets and income statements.. as well as cost and management accounting. there is alot of calculations like ratios(acid test, liquid ), turnovers and gearing . however the content is easy to learn . dont limit your thinking to books.. basic ideas can be used as there are alot of explaining questions ( advantages , disadvantages and definitions) . honestly speaking A level accounting is much easier than AS level accounting.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 10
If I was to take accounting, would it in anyway impact my chances of being accepted into the CS degree, assuming I get the grades
I could do but the problem I'm having is being locked down to one possible outcome rather than having a back up

according to UCAS you only need maths a level for accounting (not accounting a level) so you aren't cutting yourself off from accounting at a later date by doing maths/physics/FM/CS etc now if that's a worry

Quick Reply

Latest