The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Parking near astor house

Hi, I'm looking at going to Plymouth Uni in Sep 2020, and wanted to stay in Astor House, but I will be a nursing student so would likely need my car for placements. Is it possible to get permits or season tickets parking near to Astor House or University and how much would I be looking at? It is one of the main things putting me off, as all of the other unis I am looking at make parking easy for nursing students.
Original post by paige-julie
Hi, I'm looking at going to Plymouth Uni in Sep 2020, and wanted to stay in Astor House, but I will be a nursing student so would likely need my car for placements. Is it possible to get permits or season tickets parking near to Astor House or University and how much would I be looking at? It is one of the main things putting me off, as all of the other unis I am looking at make parking easy for nursing students.

Hi @paige-julie ,

I hope you're well! I had a conversation with the live Astor House chat, and I've been told:

"Hi Seren, there is no parking on site for our residents unfortunately. However there are plenty of car parks around and on street parking. There are also free areas around the Uni to park which is a 10 minute walk." I asked about student parking deals, and they said "You are better off looking online for parking deals. Some car parks do monthly deals, I am not sure about more than that."

When I was at uni, plenty of students brought their cars down and negotiated the free parking areas around the city, but I won't lie, it is a bit of a challenge. I know that nurses get a free bus card for travel to Derriford, so this can really help with offsetting costs. The bus companies also have 15% off for student tickets :smile:

I hope this helps - let me know if you have any further questions!

- Seren, University of Plymouth Student Rep.
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website
Reply 2
Thank you, this doesn't help that much as I really don't know Plymouth or any of the surrounding areas, but thank you for your help, a lot of what you said is helpful, and I know I could navigate uni without a car but it would make my life a lot easier if I could bring it, as I live about 200 miles away. The train is easy enough but bringing everything down and then back home again on a train would just be a nightmare. Thank you again for your help, and thank you for finding this information put for me :smile:
Thank you, this doesn't help that much as I really don't know Plymouth or any of the surrounding areas, but thank you for your help, a lot of what you said is helpful, and I know I could navigate uni without a car but it would make my life a lot easier if I could bring it, as I live about 200 miles away. The train is easy enough but bringing everything down and then back home again on a train would just be a nightmare. Thank you again for your help, and thank you for finding this information put for me :smile:

Hi @paige-julie ,

You are really welcome, and sorry I couldn't give you the answer you wanted! It's definitely worth visiting us on an Open Day and talking with the Student Ambassadors in the Nursing department, as they will be able to chat with you about this and discuss how they navigate these situations themselves. I wish you all the best and let me know if you have any more questions :smile:

- Seren, University of Plymouth Student Rep

Hi! I’m also looking to stay in Astor house in 2020 whilst in my first year of being a nursing student
Original post by Anonymous
Hi! I’m also looking to stay in Astor house in 2020 whilst in my first year of being a nursing student

Hi @paige-julie

I have asked about parking for you and will try to outline the response as concisely as possible!

Due to the nature of our campus (and therefore our halls) being in the city centre, parking can be difficult unfortunately. You can try and apply for a permit with the council - which is around £30/year I believe - but apparently they don't guarantee these for students. Alternatively, many students park their cars about 15/20 mins walk away from the city centre as there are no permits required in roads out of the centre.

The other guidance I've been given is that nursing students are advised that they don't need their car in the first term and possibly not at all until their placement is finalised.

Sorry I can't give a super positive response - it's the limitations of being right in the city centre! ... About the only limitation, as everything else is really convenient and easy. :dance:

On a personal level, when I studied here I had no trouble parking. :smile:

I'll let you know if I hear anything more. And let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.

~ Catherine, University of Plymouth
Reply 6
Original post by University of Plymouth
Hi @paige-julie

I have asked about parking for you and will try to outline the response as concisely as possible!

Due to the nature of our campus (and therefore our halls) being in the city centre, parking can be difficult unfortunately. You can try and apply for a permit with the council - which is around £30/year I believe - but apparently they don't guarantee these for students. Alternatively, many students park their cars about 15/20 mins walk away from the city centre as there are no permits required in roads out of the centre.

The other guidance I've been given is that nursing students are advised that they don't need their car in the first term and possibly not at all until their placement is finalised.

Sorry I can't give a super positive response - it's the limitations of being right in the city centre! ... About the only limitation, as everything else is really convenient and easy. :dance:

On a personal level, when I studied here I had no trouble parking. :smile:

I'll let you know if I hear anything more. And let me know if I can answer any more questions for you.

~ Catherine, University of Plymouth

Thank you very much for keeping me up to date 😊
Reply 7
Hi @paige-julie

I am also looking to move into Astor next year but I am struggling to find a place for my car. Have you found anywhere to park it since this post? Please let me know

Thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending