The Student Room Group

Royal Holloway or Queen Mary?

Hey there
I currently have offers to study Msc Artificial Intelligence (Sep 2020) from both Royal Holloway and Queen Mary University of London. A little confused about which one to pick. Top Universities website ranks Royal Holloway higher than QMUL in the UK. However, QMUL has a significantly higher world ranking. My department would be Computer science. Thanks! ( I'm also planning to apply for King's College)
Original post by Gautham117
Hey there
I currently have offers to study Msc Artificial Intelligence (Sep 2020) from both Royal Holloway and Queen Mary University of London. A little confused about which one to pick. Top Universities website ranks Royal Holloway higher than QMUL in the UK. However, QMUL has a significantly higher world ranking. My department would be Computer science. Thanks! ( I'm also planning to apply for King's College)

Hi there,
Congrats on your offer! I've been to both and have friends who study computer science in both universities. Though QMUL does statistically have a higher world ranking, in the UK RHUL is regarded highly and scores higher than Queen Mary's in every university league table in the UK. Concerning Modules - I've heard they're quite similar anyway. But DO check what kind of modules appeal to you more as well as how you will be tested because that is an important factor. Royal Holloway is also known for having one of the most beautiful campuses in the UK, however, it is quite far from London in contrast to QMUL which is in East London and closer to all the central locations. In regards to societies, Royal Holloway has plenty and they're all taken quite seriously, particularly the sports activities, also because Royal Holloway is a campus uni, the SU events and freshers' are always crazy thus their student satisfaction score is higher. But it all depends on what kinds of factors you were considering? Are you wondering generally or specifically about the academia side? They're both great unis anyway.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 2
Thanks a lot!
Yes, I do see that RHUL is ranked higher than QMUL In pretty much all UK universities (23 vs 45!). Although QMUL is a Russell group uni. Plus the modules at QMUL seems a little bit more interesting than RHUL. I was wondering more about which university is a better pick for computer science and also with regards to graduate employability and employer recognition. Do people who study at QMUL get more preference for jobs vs people From RHUL or vice versa?
Choices choices.
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Gautham117
Thanks a lot!
Yes, I do see that RHUL is ranked higher than QMUL In pretty much all UK universities (23 vs 45!). Although QMUL is a Russell group uni. Plus the modules at QMUL seems a little bit more interesting than RHUL. I was wondering more about which university is a better pick for computer science and also with regards to graduate employability and employer recognition. Do people who study at QMUL get more preference for jobs vs people From RHUL or vice versa?
Choices choices.

In that case, QMUL offers a good 'Careers and Enterprise' service, which is really convenient for employability and obviously adding to the fact that it is a Russel Group means that you wouldn't have a problem getting employed. However, I've got a friend who managed to score a competitive job with an impressive salary on a graduate scheme from RHUL. So other elements such as, how well you do in interviews, tests and your overall grade make a difference too. Nonetheless, they're both considered 'good' universities.

I think they're both quite similar in that aspect but QMUL are known to be supportive when it comes to taking employability seriously. I think at the end of the day, it depends on where you feel like you're going to do better academically. That usually stems from choosing modules that interest you more. As you said that you find QMUL has a more alluring module choice, suggests that you'd probably do well there. At the end of day, employers love dedication, passion and high academic performance and your grade is the thing that will demonstrate all of those things.

The way the subject is taught can also have an effect in your interest, therefore, make sure to look into that too! Good luck.
Reply 4
Thank you very much! Your replies were very helpful!
Hi @anonymousreader1, I've an offer from Exeter for Data Science with Artificial Intelligence and an AI offer from St. Andrews.
Also have a Machine learning offer from Bath and one in Cyber security from the University of Glasgow.
I'm confused on these since I've been advised that as an international student, Glasgow and Exeter are universities I should look at - job prospects there are better. St. Andrews ranks highest in CS amongst these.
Any thoughts ?
Reply 6
Hi @veritaserum7

My two cents,
Pick the course first and then the university. It seems you’re very interested in AI like me. Although Glasgow is an amazing university, would you be okay to study cyber security just for the university recognition?
Also I really didn’t like the course structure at Exeter for AI with data science. I felt it doesn’t dwelve into topics like computer vision?
If I were you I’d keep my options between Bath and St.Andrews and further research on that.

Good luck!
Great question. Would be nice to get some insight from someone who has studied at one of these two universities.

I'm going for the Data Science MSc myself; and personally, although I prefer Royal Holloway's course structure & prestige, I'm inclined towards QMUL because it's in London (commuter).

If you're commuting from South London, then Surrey University is a quicker commute than Royal Holloway. Surrey & Royal Holloway have the same ranking also, so I'm applying for Surrey because of the quicker commute.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 8
Ahh
Seems like a good choice
Good luck!
From the job prospect which is better queen or Royal please help
Plan to do MS in AI . Got offer from both Queen and Royal. which is better for employment for international students?
Reply 11
@Gautham117 @Gautham117 Data science at University of Glasgow vs AI at QMUL..which would be a better choice? I am a data science enthusiast with an inclination towards AI. Should I choose based on high ranking or go with QMUL for the location which has accessibility to better job prospects?
@nev2106 I have the same question. Computer Systems Engineering in Glasgow vs Data Science & Artificial Intelligence in QM, which is better for finding a job in the UK? Thanks

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending