The Student Room Group

PwC or JPM Apprenticeship? Finance people?

Hi I’m considering a PwC flying start degree and a JPM Degree Apprenticeship. I understand after concluding JPM it is most likely I will be working in middle office.
My q is in terms of salary, career progression and benefits, which one fares better and which you’d go for/why?
Reply 1
What is the starting salary with JPM?
Reply 2
@gr8wizard10 seen u in a load of IB forums, any idea on middle office pay progression?
Reply 3
Original post by ajj2000
What is the starting salary with JPM?

I think 21k per year of apprenticeship, rising to 40k after completion. My concern is what about after that??
Reply 4
Original post by iac02
I think 21k per year of apprenticeship, rising to 40k after completion. My concern is what about after that??

Hopefully someone with very specific knowledge will be able to advise. I guess it would normally depend on you plus a bit of luck.

I think the real decision is whether you want to go to university. If you do - and there are lots of reasons to do so such as long holidays - you will be stuck with 9% additional tax for a long time and a lower income in the short term. Go to JPM and you get experience, no student loans and a degree. I doubt one has some amazing benefit over another in the long term so far as average incomes go.
dont know much about jpm, but for accounting:
starting salary is around 17-19k, 20-23k if in london.
not going to uni wont hinder you at all in accounting
rises every year and when you qualify you will be on around 40-45k starting salary after 4-5 years depending on how long it takes. after that you are essentially open to pretty much any accounting role you could think of
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 6
Original post by Gent2324
dont know much about jpm, but for accounting:
starting salary is around 17-19k, 20-23k if in london.
not going to uni wont hinder you at all in accounting
rises every year and when you qualify you will be on around 40-45k starting salary after 4-5 years depending on how long it takes. after that you are essentially open to pretty much any accounting role you could think of

London salaries are higher (by and large) than you have noted.
Original post by ajj2000
London salaries are higher (by and large) than you have noted.

which apprenticeships are higher than 23k starting
Reply 8
which apprenticeships are higher than 23k starting

I mean at the qualified level (so 4-5 years after starting). Jobs in industry struggle to attract candidates for under £50k - over £55k has been more common in the last couple of years. Of course this changes depending on the economy.

Plus - the OP isn't looking at an apprenticeship for accountancy. They are looking at the degree course with industrial placements for 3 years. I'm not sure what the starting salary is for those graduates. I think the PWC grad trainee rate in London was £28k a couple of years ago - might have gone up now - and flying start graduates might go in a level higher.
Original post by ajj2000
I mean at the qualified level (so 4-5 years after starting). Jobs in industry struggle to attract candidates for under £50k - over £55k has been more common in the last couple of years. Of course this changes depending on the economy.

Plus - the OP isn't looking at an apprenticeship for accountancy. They are looking at the degree course with industrial placements for 3 years. I'm not sure what the starting salary is for those graduates. I think the PWC grad trainee rate in London was £28k a couple of years ago - might have gone up now - and flying start graduates might go in a level higher.

pwc flying start has an accounting programme, but yes london may be higher after qualifying
Reply 10
pwc flying start has an accounting programme, but yes london may be higher after qualifying

Original post by ajj2000

Cheers guys, from what I’ve researched pay progression is pretty secure as a CA, my concern is how does it measure relative to JPM M.O. prospects - and I appreciate it’s an unfamiliar realm. Any IB experts in the house??
I would post on the careers : IB section as you are more likely to get a response there.
Reply 12
@claireestelle @brainzistheword @Interrobang @shadowdweller @threeportdrift hey could this thread be moved to the ‘Careers: IB section’ please :smile:
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by iac02
@claireestelle @brainzistheword @Interrobang @shadowdweller @threeportdrift hey could this thread be moved to the ‘Careers: IB section’ please :smile:

Moved.
Reply 14
Original post by threeportdrift
Moved.

Thanks!
Reply 15
Personally, i would take JP Morgan. I would say they are bigger in terms of the financial world, they potentially have better pay and progression than PwC due to Accounting/ Audit becoming a bit limiting when you get to a certain stage. Im not sure what youll be studying for PwC but id assume it would be the ACA or something alike, so i would take the JPM as they pay for your whole degree, NO DEBT and with the degree in finance or whatever it is, it will teach you certain rules and foundations of accounting aswell so if you wanted to go into accounting after your apprenticeship, it would be easier than if you were to go from PwC to JPM.
Anyways this is my opinion, i would suggest you make a pros and cons list for both, including things like travel and costs.
Both are great opportunities and you would have great prospects with both.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending